• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Totally Organic Crumplets

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am about to switch from Harrisons to totally organic crumplets because I like the ingredients better. Not corn based. My guys are little birds and I was wondering if the crumplet size pellet is small enough. Bag has a pic of parakeet on the front so I am guessing they will be. If you are feeding these does you bird like them? The largest amount I can find on the net comes in a 3 pound bag. would like to fine a larger bag.
Thanks for your feedback.

totcrum.jpg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Because of the nature of the product, it isn't advised to have a large quantity at once, as you will have vitamin degradation.

The crumplets are just chopped up versions of the normal pellets. They aren't uniform in size.

I also can't talk about TOPS without making sure your birds have access to unfiltered sunlight a few hours a week, or access to vitamin D3 in some form. TOPS doesn't contain any form of Vitamin D3, and it is not something you can get through a vegetarian diet without sunlight exposure or a supplement.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok thanks. My birds are in full spec lighting several days per week.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Unless your bird 6-8 inches away from the light (at which point they are at risk for eye damage), full spec lighting does not produce enough UV to make an impact, per several vets and studies.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I ordered a bag a few months ago to try. The crumplets aren't uniform in size as @Mizzely said but on average they're pretty comparable to Harrison's Fine. I'd also recommend going for a smaller bag at first so that you can see how they like it. Mine nibbled at it a bit but didn't much care for it so we didn't order any more. We'd actually ordered it to try to get Mango off of Zupreem but she finally took to Harrison's around that same time and we're happier with her on that than on the Zupreem, especially since that's what Frodo eats so now we can just buy a 5 lb bag, throw it in the freezer, and bring out enough for a few weeks at a time and it lasts for months. Unlike Frodo she is super picky and tends to turn up her little princess beak at most fresh stuff so it would have been nice to at least give her a bit of variety but oh well.

Re full spec lighting, that's what I've read too. I still use them in the lamp nearest their cages, but it's more to give a nicer daylight quality of light for them to enjoy rather than any supposed health benefit.