• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting?

crystalrose0683

Moving in
Real Name
Crystal
20160524_092715.jpg Well today I noticed that my spike is losing his father's on his head. ..what could be the problem?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
stress??

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When was he last at the vet?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is he losing weight too?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would think mold, but i wouldnt count out the above mentioned!
He seem to look nicely in his feather from what i can see so far, but ask yourself, did anything chance lately? Diet, did you move the cage, etc etc..

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I would try going to the vet if possible doll. If you can't rule out anything you may have changed to cause stress, give an avian vet a call. It doesn't look like molting to me, not compared to my tuki molting anyways. Do you see him pulling them out with his foot? Or are they falling out on their own maybe? Weigh him as well, in the morning before breakfast and after his first poop to see if he has dropped weight

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The feathers are lost in a strip. Conducive to a bird getting it's head caught somewhere or scratched it on something and ripped a bunch out. That's what it looks like.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The feathers are lost in a strip. Conducive to a bird getting it's head caught somewhere or scratched it on something and ripped a bunch out. That's what it looks like.
I agree. Check to make sure he can fully stand up on all his perches without hitting his head. Make sure he isn't rubbing against bars while playing with toys. Reposition cage furnishings and toys as necessary. Also if you have a feeder he has to stick his head into for food, swap it for an open bowl.