• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

They clipped her!! =(

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Feathers, unlike hair, are functional. It's less like a haircut and more like shackling a toddler's legs together for a year or two and saying "don't worry, it's only temporary. She had already learned to walk pretty well and she'll be able to shuffle around in the mean time. If she could run around unimpeded now, she might fall down and hurt herself or get into all sorts of trouble! This way I don't have to be nearly so careful about childproofing and supervision.".
I agree that clipping is akin to shackling legs, somewhat. It's painless and temporary and can range from completely debilitating to barely affecting flight. A bad clip can lead pain and injuries if a bird cannot keep its balance or catch itsel A light clip might be more analagous to wearing ankle weights when jogging - it just takes more effort to to the same thing. A mild clip is nothing horrible and a baby will adjust and do just fine, she'll be able to fly where she wants over short distances anyway, and will fly very well when she becomes fully flighted. (Bad clips that let birds fall and leave pinfeather unsupported are just cruel, but it doesn't sound like this store intends to clip like that).

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey is 17 too. I remember when every article talked about how important it was to clip. Times change. I decided to let Joey fly a few years ago. He was awkward at first, but has turned into a good flyer.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Just take it as lesson learned..if you paid for the bird up front and said it , should have it on your receipt as a back up..if you hadn't paid for the bird yet then it is still their bird and can do as they wish to it.. things happen we can't control in life...people will have their opinions on the right way to raise a bird..clip or non clip..pet shops will do what they want cause it's their business...as any other business..my husband gets so mad at his work and the way they do things.. I tell him.. it does not say Darryl Magee telephone company..it says LaHarpe telephone company. Owners Irish..not Magee! I have just come to a point in my life where I except things for what it is...it's happened..can't change it, you can do something to make changes later...enjoy your bird.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had put a deposit down on an parrot and advised the breeder over and over I do not want her clipped- all my birds are flighted. Then a month later she let me know she had to clip her... I requested my deposit back and moved on. IMO if they cant respect your choice not to clip then they can find someone else to purchase their birds.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Baby Hannah has a horrible clip. It was done before I met her, so I had no say in it. When I mentioned that I'd always heard it was important never to clip an unfledged baby, his response was he thought you should clip them before they ever flew, so a bird never knows what it is missing out on
:omg:

Poor Hannah. I wish she wasn't clipped at all, but if they had to do it - I wish it was only a partial. She doesn't glide, but drops. Her flapping still seems to break the fall, but still it's not good.
image.jpeg

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I'd be annoyed too. Titus came to me clipped by the breeder - quite a heavy clip. Definitely altered his development. But with just 4 on each side, your baby should still be able to get to grips with a bit of flying/gliding, so when full flights grow back, she should have control

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Stormy has learned to fly after being clipped..just after his wings grew out a little..like a bird on steroids that has adsd bird style..

Beakerz

Meeting neighbors
My very first baby bird I had was a GCC that was clipped, just the 5 primaries on each side. I went back and forth with letting them grown in and then clipping again a couple of times. I eventually just left them unclipped. He was fine, he didn't exhibited any issues with flying. And think your little one will be okay.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Indiana was clipped despite my protests. Breeder insisted on a clip after his first couple flights. Just like you I wasn't happy about it at all. Took just a year for him to start flying on his own, but he's a pro now. Very frustrating, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

June 2014 Clipped 4 mos

June 2015 Flighted 1 yr 4mos