• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Band

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
Question for the breeders: my birds band says day 244 on it. I know she isn't even a year old yet. Does that number signify the hatch day?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If that's the only thing on there it doesn't mean anything. It's somebody's personal code.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What the band does signify is that the bird came from a big enough breeder that they needed to use bands to keep track of their inventory.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What the band does signify is that the bird came from a big enough breeder that they needed to use bands to keep track of their inventory.
It very well could have, however in the United States some states legally require breeders to band all babies.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The 'day' is most likely the initials of the breeder or aviary. Often the bands will have a year printed on them but it doesn't seem like that band does. The number probably doesn't actually mean anything and was just used to identify the baby (as well as meet any requirements that the baby be banded to be sold).
It doesn't necessarily mean it's a large breeder although it could be this is the 244th baby they bred. Bands are just used to keep track of babies - for example if a customer has a deposit on a specific baby, or in the case of the babies being DNA sexed, to keep track of each baby's results.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The number on my galah's band indicated the aviary initials and how many galahs the aviary had raised up through mine. My cockatiel's indicated the state abbreviation and his month and year hatch date. Shame there's no consistency.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I banded all my babies as a means of identification for DNA tests, record keeping, pedigrees etc. However, I was never a "big" breeder unless you count 30 babies a year big. And I raised small birds that gave 3-5 babies a clutch so in reality not big at all. My bands had my aviary code, number (and when you order bands you can start with any number you want btw) and year on some. I ended up not using the years on most of the bands as there is a minimum amount you can order and often I never had the minimum amount of chicks per year so those bands were wasted. Hope that makes sense.