• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ready for a more natural diet

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My parrotlets are switched off their pellets, onto mash and eggfood instead.
I think eggfood isn't very healthy either and it makes the female becoming fat very fast.
I want them to eat a healthy and more natural diet.
I want to exit the eggfood from the diet and feed some hard boiled egg(yolk) and bee pollen instead.
This are the mashes they are eating:
Lentils
Split peas
Broccoli
Endive
Carrot
Cooked sweet potato
Zuchini

Cooked brown rice
Red cooked beetroot
Watercress
Pumpkin
Pineapple
Apple
Mango
Peppermix
Kale

Sproutmix:
Yellow millet, safflower seed, wheat, japanese millet, mung beans, niger seed, rape seed, white dari, hemp seed, red milo, buckwheat, sesame seed, quinoa seed.

Dry seed mix:
Canary seed, white millet, yellow millet, paddy rice, japanese millet, safflower seed, grass seed, peeled oats, hemp seed, red millet, yellow panicum, buckwheat, flax seed, niger seed, rose hip seed, sesame seed, white dari, pine seed, barley, mung beans, clover seed, marian thistle seed, red milo, red panicum, white perilla, rape seed, radish seed, spinach seed

Want to feed them about 1/4 mash,1/4 dry seeds and 2/4 sprouted seeds.

Healthy "supplements":
Twice a week some cooked eggyolk.
Twice a week some bee pollen.
Twice a week some coconut oil.
Once a week some cod liver oil.

Does this sound like a healthy diet?

Another question:
Organic veggies and fruits are very hard to find. Do you think that non-organic produce are ok?
And what about non-organic seeds?are they safe to feed?

Last edited:

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
That looks like a good diet to me but I'm no expert. As for your question about organic/non organic veggies, I would stick to organic. Pesticides are really harmful to birds. If you can't find organic and can't grow your own, there are vegetable rinses that you can uses to get off the pesticide residue. Of course the pesticide will likely have been absorbed into the plant and you can't really do anything about that.

For seeds, I am currently feeding non organic but I'm going to switch to organic soon. I planted sunflowers and will have my own organic sunflower seeds. And I'm going to buy some organic cage mixes soon.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I can't afford organic either, but anything that is root veggie I peel before I cook it, like sweet potatoes. same with fruit I wash it and peel it, I also use canned pineapple as long as it's in it's own juices. if it's possible to plant your own garden then try and do so. I grow peas, carrots, green beans, leaf lettuce, spinach, parsley, other herbs, zucchini, cucumbers, sunflower shoots, corn shoots, wheat grass, kamut shoots, millet shoots & broccoli on my deck for my birds. I also buy a whole coconut about every 5-6 months, break it open get out the coconut meat, shred it finely and freeze it.
here is couple of links:

Pictures - Sweet Pea's garden greens and first carrot | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Planting a garden for your birds | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Pictures - Sweet Pea's growing garden | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Planning the Sweet Pea Garden | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

hope this helps you.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
These are all excellent, and sprouting is a great idea. Maybe, if you want, you can try letting your birds have a go at fodder. It's used for livestock mostly, but I don't think it'd hurt to try for birds. You just wouldn't have to grow it as long as the farmers do! It's soil free, and uses only water, so the birds can eat the roots too. If you're handy, I would recommend making a really simple system you could do inside the home. Though, the purchasing of organic seeds might be expensive. I would recommend looking into bulk purchases and seeing if you could share it with someone or getting another parrot to eat it all up? Also, you can do fodder for just about any kind of thing that could potentially sprout. Many farmers use barley, sunflower seeds, and alfalfa.