• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown Headed Parrots

MimiKS

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone,

So, I was wondering if there are any brown headed parrot owners out there that would be willing to share what it's like to live with their fid?

I'm ready to add to my flock and I have the opportunity to get one of these darling creatures but I have some apprehensions... As you can see in my pic I have a parrotlet and would like to know if you think (with supervision) that they could get along? I've read that brown headed parrots are quite mellow and on the other hand my little Otis is quite the sassy pants who's always up to some antics... I'm hoping to "balance him out" by having a more mellow buddy for him to call to and maybe play with :) If they don't get along then that's fine with me too, it would be important though that they can tolerate being in the same bird room.

It's important to note that I'm seeking an affectionate bird who is apartment friendly, so please don't hold back! :)

Pics and vids are always appreciated! :D

Thanks everyone

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Brown heads? That's not a common poi
Pois...in general are not dusty like African greys & generally acceptable as apt birds but some individuals could be loud if they are frequent alarm callers or you get one who has been encouraged to call to its owner alot.
Meyers, red bellies & Senegals are moderately quiet.
Not really cuddly though but social with there owner wanting attention but
more happy sitting with them & getting head scritches.
Seems most websites copy the same info so info on them is limited.

Not sure if we have many or any brown heads on the forum though so you might have to use generalizations of the poi's/

No idea how they would get along with a parrolet but like with any multiple birds you have to be careful they don't interact & injure each other. They should at least find comfort in having another bird in the room when you are out. Pther times they may be jealous & rival each other for your attention.

Meet the bird is best thing to do & see how you feel about them.
Good Luck

MimiKS

Meeting neighbors
Meet the bird is best thing to do & see how you feel about them.
Good Luck

Thank you for your advice! I am still "iffy" about whether or not I want to add a dusty bird to my flock. I always planned on keeping amazonian parrots for that reason. I'll have to give it some more thought :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Brown headed parrots, and Pois in general, are not dusty birds!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my Rudy red bellied poi is a quiet bird until he has a tantrum, in which case he flies around the room in crazy circles screeching out loud. His voice is pretty quiet though. He has a tantrum once a day....usually at bedtime because he just wants to play and play all night! He is very affectionate and doesn't bother the other birds, except to beg for scritches. He's very playful and a finicky eater. Hope this helps!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Brown headed are the sweetest Poi. ♥ They are pretty calm and loves to do trick or just to hang out with you.
They are also the most silent Poi. I have had both Meyer and Brown headed so I can compare them.
It's better that you ask what you want to know about them.
And if they get along with other birds is very individual, my Brown headed female didn't like other birds, but didn't fight with them either.
And NO, they are not dusty at all.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never had a brown head but have read that they are generally mellower than red-bellied parrots which I have several of. Pois are not dusty birds but if someone has an allergy to feathers and feather dander there could still be a problem.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
My meyer's aren't dusty birds. I personally would not trust a poi and a parrotlet together. Size difference is too great and both my meyer's are very territorial and not friendly with other birds. Not sure about your parrotlet, but the ones we had board at the clinic were pretty feisty themselves when I needed to touch their cage or stuff for cleaning, etc. BH's could be different though, but I'm not sure. Never had any come in so never got to work with any. I'd say contact a breeder that has different pois to see if they could tell you differences between them and other pois, but those birds probably aren't going to be in a pet type situation so not sure if doing that would even be helpful.

Aaron

Strolling the yard
Pogi is is half brown head half Senegal. He is probably quiet enough for an apartment but does talk and mumble often. He is sweet natured, sometimes cuddly, sometimes nippy but only has really drew blood once. He is not aggressive toward other birds. We recently adopted a too and she makes us realize how easy pogi is. He also will eat anything and is OK with his non favorite person so I would not consider him a one person bird. Great smart sweet bird. received_10206521222572568.jpeg

Attachments

MimiKS

Meeting neighbors
Ah! Oh my Gosh guys I just logged in today and saw all of these wonderful posts. Thank you so much for your insight and advice, I really appreciate it :D