• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

food for fledgling pigeon

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
My formerly "feral" fledgling pigeon is now eating peas and corn out of a dish. He doesn't like the corn so much. What should I start adding? What brand of overall mix is good to start working towards? Do pigeons and doves need special grit? No pet store or feed store here sells anything for pigeons/doves and small chicken/quail grit is hard to find but might be possible. Having only 1 pigeon buying lots of bulk grain bags isn't the most efficient and buying smaller quantities is just as expensive because then I have to go human grade.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
You managed to raise a baby pigeon!! Very impressive- I gather they are quite hard to save!!

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
I didn't fully raise him. I'm not sure if he got shoved out or just left his nest too early because he couldn't fly at all and failed to perch on several objects. We just scooped him up with minimal trouble. Had some frustrating days of making him understand peas are food and that I am trying to feed him. Finally I got a good full meal down him and he started demanding his pea and corn meals. He'll rub my fingers with his beak begging for food. It then took a couple days to teach him how to get food from the front to the back of his beak. His pecking is still inaccurate so when the dish gets too low he leaves the random pieces of corn and sometimes peas behind rather than trying to aim for them but he manages to feed himself quite well now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can feed him cockatiel seed mix and small Zupreem fruity pellets, try crumbled corn read, scrambled egg, cut the tiny florets off broccoli. Mine eat all that and are fine. Play with the food with your fingers to get him interested. As for grit, be careful with that, a teeny bit occasionally is fine but too much could impact his crop.. He will get it. Good luck!

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
I ripped up a broccoli top and I think some got eaten. What is the best way to provide water on a cage that you can't really attach to the sides? He has a crock of water and he is constantly getting in it and making a mess. I was told pigeons do like playing in water if your dish is big enough. It needs to be deep enough still because of how they drink.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh, they will play in that water ! You'll just have to keep it clean!:hehe:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name