• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a parrotlet

Silverstar

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there everyone! I have been a bird owner since I was a child, and although I've only kept parakeets and canaries, I've been thinking about branching out a little but more.

Currently I don't own any parrots, and I think it will soon be time to add a new bird to the family. None of the stores around here carry parrotlets, so I haven't had the chance to meet one in person. There are some breeders not too far away, but I'd like to get as much research done as possible.

At the moment I only work part time, so would be able to socialize plenty if I only bring home one bird. Ideally, I'd love one that is hand tame, but am also willing to work a while with my feathered friend.

Cage size isn't an issue either, so I think the temperament might help me decide. Specifically, my dh is concerned about the noise. The male parakeet that we recently owned was quite vocal, and would often chatter or screech for long periods of time. I've looked up videos of parrotlet noise, and it's hard to get an idea of how loud they are or how often. If I'm really concerned the noise I'd just get a female parakeet, but I would love to at least try a parrotlet. Do the males tend to be a bit more vocal? I know a lot has to do with individual personality, though I'd love to know more before going out to meet a bird.

Thank you for all your input!

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Welcome!

Parrotlets can get a loud at certain times. When Yoshi is sounding off, you can hear him throughout the house but it isn't anything too loud. My 4 year old son screams louder. Anyway, those certain times will be if he hears water running, plastic bags being moved, new people in the house.... just to give an idea. When they are young it is soft noises but once they get around 6 months, the noise will get louder as will the attitude. Honestly, I would be more concerned if your husband (possibly you too) would be willing to put up with biting/attacks from a parrotlet more than the noise. They are very good at training their human flock and are very easy to read. It isn't impossible to develop a bond/trust with a parrotlet that isn't hand tame, but it does make it much easier if they are hand tame to begin with.

Overall, parrotlets are fun little parrots to have as part of the family. Just watch their body language and be responsive to it!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Giant parrots with giant attitudes in tiny little bodies. :)

Silverstar

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks everyone, this is great information! Our last parakeet wasn't especially tame, so I was familiar with a bit of the biting. Sounds like if I choose to go for a parrotlet, I'll definitely make sure I find one that is tame. This one was of my priorities anyways, so I'll just put it higher on the list. Noise would still be a concern, especially if it's similar to a male budgie. This isn't a big issue for me, but DH is a lot more sensitive to noise. I've heard some interesting things on linnies, so I might consider that bird as well. If anyone else has recommendations, I'm more than willing to listen.

jk0801

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenna
I would definitely say that parrotlet bites pack a bit more punch than a parakeet bite. Zeus can be pretty loud at times for a small bird and sometimes I can hear him outside the house. I had noticed that male budgies can be pretty loud and their noise is constant throughout the day. Zeus doesn't make noise very often though, and usually just when someone comes in the door, he hears plastic bags, or water running, but when he does it can be loud. Not to the shrillness of a lovebird but it gets close sometimes. It really isn't terrible though, and the people who live upstairs from me don't complain at all. I also have been covering his cage so that he has about 12 hours of darkness and that has been helping his loudness and crabbiness.

Hope that helps!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!