• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"just a cockatiel" rant

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I'd go back incognito and record her abusing the Mac as well as take pictures of the 'Too in his tiny cage. Post it on social media and get everyone's attention. Contact an ASPCA as well.

I no longer support one of the pet stores I usually buy my pellets from. They buy birds unweaned and sell them unweaned. They have sick birds and don't provide veterinary care. And they act as if they are more knowledgeable about the birds. They currently have a gorgeous CBC that has been there for a while. He is fluffed up, shivering, and has pink colored urates from what I saw. Not only that he is in one of those acrylic cages like the ones petco has. At least petco has toys and various perches for their birds. This poor bird only has one perch hooked to the ventilation area of the cage. They recently added a boing after I loudly said how the poor baby only has one perch and is always hanging upside down in front of a worker.
I'm so noticeable with my crazy curly hair but I am gonna go back and creep like with my hair up or something when they're busy.
Even strangers were going up to the U2 and we're like "he doesn't have enough room..." he kept half spreading his wings. I just can't in good conscious be a part of that. Especially when they had larger cages available that weren't being used. They just wanted him in the front of the store for people to see.
Eta;
I can't go into exotic pet stores anymore if they have birds, my boyfriend won't let me because I start to get upset. I almost bought a plucked galah to foster to find a home because I went into a store and he was plucked like a chicken... turns out they were only boarding him. Poor baby.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I really hope you can get some evidence of them, and they get shut down! Makes my blood boil how they're treating those poor animals.

I am so happy I have such a great exotic bird store near me.
They always have the birds in good sized cages, feed them very well and rotate them out onto hanging stands during the day. Such kind people and I always enjoy giving the birds there plenty of love.
Last time I was there, one of the ladies was feeding a young Scarlet mac and happily let me hold him and give some treats.
Big boy, but such a sweetheart! :heart:

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I really hope you can get some evidence of them, and they get shut down! Makes my blood boil how they're treating those poor animals.

I am so happy I have such a great exotic bird store near me.
They always have the birds in good sized cages, feed them very well and rotate them out onto hanging stands during the day. Such kind people and I always enjoy giving the birds there plenty of love.
Last time I was there, one of the ladies was feeding a young Scarlet mac and happily let me hold him and give some treats.
Big boy, but such a sweetheart! :heart:

I feel like that's how stores should be and it's sad that they're not. You shouldn't own a pet store for money, it should be because you genuinely love the animals. And give them the best environment possible. Especially since it would be so easy for them to do the right thing. But the lady came out and said "I didn't want to sell birds but here we are." And she introduced herself as a nasty woman.
I just don't get people like that! She very obviously doesn't like birds. But owns a store that's 60% parrots.

I would loooove to have a store like that nearby. We do but it's like an hour but I'm going to start going there instead.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad you're going to try to expose them, and that you at least have s nice store that you can go to once and a while to support. There actions are really inexcusable. This woman's husband doesn't care either, I take it?

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Glad you're going to try to expose them, and that you at least have s nice store that you can go to once and a while to support. There actions are really inexcusable. This woman's husband doesn't care either, I take it?
I've only met him once and he honestly seemed very nice but I'm assuming he doesnt, considering he's married to her. He works at their other store though so he might be a delight.
Totally willing to drive an extra 20 minutes to go to Todd Marcus. I've heard good things about there even though I haven't gone myself, but I've heard it mentioned here as well.

People on facebook are getting upset and are suggesting I post on yelp which I might. I feel bad, but everything I'm posting is just what I observed and what she proudly did.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Don't feel bad, she should feel bad! I don't think Yelp will post your review unless you have reviewed at least a few times before on Yelp.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Wow... People like that store lady shouldn't be selling birds :mad: Just because I have budgies doesn't mean they don't deserve any love or care. Hahah, #birdequality!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I think a video of her hitting the macaw with the broom on YouTube and Facebook could shame her into better treatment of the macaw, and for good measure I would get a local animal activist group to put on a protest outside the shop.
oh also let the local TV station know too. :evilgrin: