• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Creative Writing

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My young writers have been BEGGING me to bring a bird in for them to write about. After verifying that none of them had unvetted birds, chickens, or pigeons, I agreed. Hmmmm...who to take to school??? Well, Morgan likes kids a lot...um, the way they taste, so she was out. Harry, my cowardly BTM, would have had a minor stroke so no way for him. Gossamer would've flown in circles, yelling like a cockatoo town crier and would've pooped ALL over my room so no go. Daphne had the golden ticket, so to speak.

Daphne was very good. I had small groups of kids come look at her; I prepped them the day before on moving slowly and being calm around her. They marveled at her colors and how sweet she was with me. She was very clingy, as she was a bit overwhelmed. I put her on a tabletop java stand, and she immediately began to eat some dry foods while the kids began a 15 minute free write. Daphne settled down quickly and stretched languorously and ate with abandon. When she wanted picked up, I did so, and she laid on her back in my arms, amazing the kids.

In their various stories, poems, and one 6-word memoir, Daphne adventured both as a pirate's companion and a member of an animal Justice League. Other kids described her vividly or wrote about the experience from her point of view. Meanwhile, Daphne was fascinated by the lights. Overall, it was a positive experience for all, and I'd do it again. Other students were bummed throughout the day, as Daphne only stayed for that period. Mom took her home, and Daphne power napped. And Mom learned that Daphne enjoys Frank Sinatra, LOL.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Morgan likes kids huh? :rofl: The way they taste! :coffeescreen:

I'm thrilled that this went well for Daphne and kids alike :dance5::xflove:

And also................

:needpics:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sweet.

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Love it!! Kids/students, animals, learning...
We students genuinely appreciate it when you as our teachers come up with something so nice like this for us!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I wish that we could do something like this at our school! It would be amazing to have a macaw visit us, but unfortunatly it is rare to find a bird care taker around here, especially a macaw person. sounds like you and Daphne had a great day! :)