• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bobwhite

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
So, it seems that I have a bobwhite quail hanging out by my office in a little courtyard. He just appeared Monday morning and hasn't left. I'm very worried about him because from what I've researched his diet is definitely not available for him out there. Very strange to even see a bobwhite in the city - thinking maybe somebody around here is raising them and he got loose??? I emailed the Texas Wildlife location here in Houston but no response. :( Any ideas? bobwhite.jpg

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
He's very handsome! I don't know about the wild bobwhite diet but if he is someone's pet who got loose you can put some game bird feed out there and see if he comes to eat it. A wild one may not show interest but if he is someone's pet then he is likely raised on food such as that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not sure either, haven't seen one if those in about 35 years. I would assume in the wild they eat seeds, bugs, grasses, whatever they can get. Seems odd to see him in the city, a wildlife rescue would be your best bet. Maybe you can lure him in with some mealworms?

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Finally heard back from Texas Wildlife. They said they've had many displaced by the flood - which makes sense, I guess - and if I can catch him they'll relocate him for me. :blink: Sooooo, how on earth am I gonna do that? Have to go up there this morning so will take a variety of bird food I have on hand until I can find some game feed and figure out what to do. I really think if I just leave him be he won't survive!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you have, or know anyone that has, a large live animal trap such as the ones that they make for dogs?

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Do you have, or know anyone that has, a large live animal trap such as the ones that they make for dogs?
Not offhand but will ask around! Are those sensitive enough to be triggered by an animal that small??

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Not offhand but will ask around! Are those sensitive enough to be triggered by an animal that small??
I am unsure, but I could not think of something else that was easily accessible.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
They have live animal traps made for rats and mice. I think those would work. Or you could get a big net and throw it over him. That's how my dad used to catch wild roosters.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
TX Wildlife recommended finding a large net, too, so guess I'll look for one. Put some seed out this morning but didn't see him out there... hoping he's ok!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Good luck! I hope you can catch him.