• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice: Discouraging Nesting Behaviour?

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
Hi all - I'm new here but would like to ask a question. The background is that my girlfriend and I, living in an apartment, got a little loverbird named Flip about a year ago. He was hand-raised, though we didn't know the gender (we decided he was a little boy). He has grown very fond of both of us - while he's probably a bit more happy to be patted and touched by me, he's very sweet with Stephanie as well and doesn't get aggressive near his cage at all. He's very good with hands and while you get nipped here or there (as with all birds) he's generally very gentle and well-behaved.

About two months ago we discovered him putting little bits of paper in his tailfeathers and concluded that Flip was actually a girl. Since then (say in the last month), he/she has taken to chewing up the paper on the bottom of his cage obsessively, spreading it everywhere. She always liked to fly around the apartment and find little things to rummage in but in the last week or so has become slightly obsessive about this. We let her out every morning, and for the last couple of days she has basically spent the whole time looking for cavities or covered places - we've tried to remove or restrict access to as many as we can but obviously sometimes this is a losing battle. Whenever she finds a place she likes it's very difficult to remove her - she makes loud warning chirps and will bite if approached.

Cutting a long story short, it feels like this nesting behaviour is escalating somewhat and it means that she gets very tense and prone to biting more often, and spends less time with us in the day - in the evening she relaxes and is a bit more like her normal self but we're not always around then. It'd be great if anyone had advice for how to perhaps discourage some of this behaviour and return things to normal.

Things we have tried:
  • Taking out paper: we used to put paper on the bottom of his cage to keep things clean and make it a bit easier for him to get around, and change it daily. We have taken this out so that there is no more paper for him to spend all day shredding and putting in his tail feathers.
  • Earlier bed-time: In Sydney we have just come out of summer and are in the middle of autumn, so it gets dark around 5.30-6. We used to put him to bed any time between 7 and 8 but now have started putting him to bed closer to 6pm. The laundry of our apartment is quiet and away from the window (so he can't hear the outside birds chirp) - we close the doors so it's dark and put a towel over him as well.
The situation is not at all dire, but little Flip is a very sweet bird and we'd just like to make sure that we can correct this behaviour before it gets any worse.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The hormonal cycle is a fact of life. It is a biological function that can not be stopped and once started it must run its course before leaving the system. It will happen every season from now on. There is nothing to correct except maybe the way you approach this. That being you (and the bird) learn to live with this perfectly natural behaviour. It will subside when the cycle is over (until next year).

Males and females both exhibit the same kind of nesting/mating behaviour so that is not an indication of your bird's gender. The only way to know the true gender of your bird is either with a DNA test or the bird lays an egg.

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
Thanks for the response! Perhaps 'correct' was the wrong word - I suppose my question was more like: when he/she gets into these kinds of hormonal periods, is there anything in particular that we should avoid doing or do in particular (like avoid giving her paper to shred, make sure she gets to bed early, etc)?

EDIT: Just saw your second reply - that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for the link! I'll give it a read.

Also on the gender note - I have read in a couple of places that only female lovebirds put strips over paper under their tail-feathers. Is this not true?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I believe males can do it too, but it's less common.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Males will definitely engage in nesting behavior. There are at least 2 members here with male lovies who do.

Avoid letting her get into the nesting cavities - for safety reasons, too. Maybe give her a sectioned off area of the room somehow?

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
Thanks for the responses! A follow up: I've removed access to as many of the cavities around as I can and since removing the paper from the bottom of the cage little Flip has certainly been a bit less obsessed with shredding paper and is back to playing with his toys and that kind of thing when he's in. When he's out, though, he still spends all of his time looking for cavities and trying to shove himself into any small crevice he can find.

I know these things take time (longer than a day, at least), and so I'll just keep being patient and making sure he doesn't get himself into any trouble. But in the meantime: if he finds a little cavity in a coat on my coat-rack or a towel or somewhere harmless where I can watch him, should I discourage that (i.e. pick him up and take him away from it) or just let him burrow and keep any eye on him?

P.S. Is there maybe a better time of day to let him out? My girlfriend and I are both uni students so we can be pretty flexible with this.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Everybody needs a little fun. That's their version of fun. :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know these things take time (longer than a day, at least), and so I'll just keep being patient and making sure he doesn't get himself into any trouble. But in the meantime: if he finds a little cavity in a coat on my coat-rack or a towel or somewhere harmless where I can watch him, should I discourage that (i.e. pick him up and take him away from it) or just let him burrow and keep any eye on him?
Good job on following up and making sure Flip can be safe. :)

People really vary in their opinions on responses to the nesting behavior. I try to go the route of moderation. I let the interested ones indulge it somewhat, but not so much that it becomes all they do. Paper is an "overboard" item, as you've noticed! So I avoid letting them have paper. But I will usually have one of their toys in the cage be one that they can shred and play with for a bit.

I sometimes let Snerky (my older hen) hang out in my shirt for a bit depending on how her behavior has been (calmer versus more aggressive/hormonal), but when she starts getting more aggressive, no shirt time.

I think it comes down to playing it by ear as you observe your bird's behavior. So you can could try letting Flip have pocket time if you want - just be aware that the pocket may become his and he may defend it vigorously when you try to get him out of there. :D

P.S. Is there maybe a better time of day to let him out? My girlfriend and I are both uni students so we can be pretty flexible with this.
I think it depends on what he prefers so long as your schedule allows. Half of mine get some morning time as well as evening time during the week (Termite is fluffed up against my cheek as I type).

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
Good job on following up and making sure Flip can be safe. :)

People really vary in their opinions on responses to the nesting behavior. I try to go the route of moderation. I let the interested ones indulge it somewhat, but not so much that it becomes all they do. Paper is an "overboard" item, as you've noticed! So I avoid letting them have paper. But I will usually have one of their toys in the cage be one that they can shred and play with for a bit.

I sometimes let Snerky (my older hen) hang out in my shirt for a bit depending on how her behavior has been (calmer versus more aggressive/hormonal), but when she starts getting more aggressive, no shirt time.
Yeah it's tough to work out which way to fall - he always used to spend time exploring for a bit but it's at the point now where it's all he wants to do. He's normally been very close to me and just wanted to follow me around the apartment. Now if he gets in one of the coats he'll just stay there until I take him out, more or less, which doesn't end very amicably most of the time. So I'm not sure whether to just let him sit there or intervene. Intervening hasn't worked tremendously well but removing the paper has calmed him down when he's in his cage so maybe I'll just let him play in the coats and towels, try and be a bit less anxious about it and give him time to work things out in his own time.

Snerky looks incredibly adorable, by the way! How old is she?

I think it comes down to playing it by ear as you observe your bird's behavior. So you can could try letting Flip have pocket time if you want - just be aware that the pocket may become his and he may defend it vigorously when you try to get him out of there. :D
Hahaha so I've learned! Since he's been in this mood any cavity he finds he claims straight away and won't take kindly to being removed.

I think it depends on what he prefers so long as your schedule allows. Half of mine get some morning time as well as evening time during the week (Termite is fluffed up against my cheek as I type).
I'm normally up in the morning, so I get him out and he flies around and is more active and explores in the morning as I make breakfast, etc. When I let him out in the evening he's a bit like Termite sounds - he just clings onto me and doesn't want to let go. But now he's still very preoccupied with finding nesting spots even in the evening.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah it's tough to work out which way to fall - he always used to spend time exploring for a bit but it's at the point now where it's all he wants to do. He's normally been very close to me and just wanted to follow me around the apartment. Now if he gets in one of the coats he'll just stay there until I take him out, more or less, which doesn't end very amicably most of the time. So I'm not sure whether to just let him sit there or intervene. Intervening hasn't worked tremendously well but removing the paper has calmed him down when he's in his cage so maybe I'll just let him play in the coats and towels, try and be a bit less anxious about it and give him time to work things out in his own time.
I have to keep blankets away from Snerky when she's feeling more hormonal because it's instant mating urge! She will bite anyone who touches that blanket while it's "hers". You can always adapt your responses as needed, so I agree it's okay to try to worry a little less so long as Flip can be safe.

Snerky looks incredibly adorable, by the way! How old is she?
Aww, thank you! :) She is a gorgeous girl, and quite full of freshness! She's 4 or 5 (I only know the year she was born, not the month).

Hahaha so I've learned! Since he's been in this mood any cavity he finds he claims straight away and won't take kindly to being removed.
Little Flip is determined to find a nest. Hard to out-stubborn lovies, I tell you. :D

I'm normally up in the morning, so I get him out and he flies around and is more active and explores in the morning as I make breakfast, etc. When I let him out in the evening he's a bit like Termite sounds - he just clings onto me and doesn't want to let go. But now he's still very preoccupied with finding nesting spots even in the evening.
At one point Snerky would fly to anything remotely shreddable and set to work on it before I could even pick her up! Do you have anything Flip can expend that energy/focus on that's not paper? I give Snerky seagrass mats periodically (she loves to shred them and make a mound, but that's really all she wants to do - seems to satisfy the nesting urge a bit). She doesn't sit on them or want to lay eggs there; she just wants to make them.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
A lot of people will feed birds egg but that is one food that is used for 'conditioning' birds for breeding season so don't be offering that this time of year.

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
I have to keep blankets away from Snerky when she's feeling more hormonal because it's instant mating urge! She will bite anyone who touches that blanket while it's "hers". You can always adapt your responses as needed, so I agree it's okay to try to worry a little less so long as Flip can be safe.
Yeah I tried to do that today - just let him do his thing. He's not very interested in spending much time with me at all but he's at least keeping out of trouble. It's just maybe been almost a week since we last spent a lot of time together which to me feels like a long time.

Aww, thank you! :) She is a gorgeous girl, and quite full of freshness! She's 4 or 5 (I only know the year she was born, not the month).
Aw that's so sweet! Do you find that she goes through cycles like this on a seasonal basis? I've heard that once female lovebirds reach a year old their relationship with their owner can change quite a bit.

At one point Snerky would fly to anything remotely shreddable and set to work on it before I could even pick her up! Do you have anything Flip can expend that energy/focus on that's not paper? I give Snerky seagrass mats periodically (she loves to shred them and make a mound, but that's really all she wants to do - seems to satisfy the nesting urge a bit). She doesn't sit on them or want to lay eggs there; she just wants to make them.
Hmmm ... I'm not sure I do. I think I might have inadvertently enabled the shredding habit - I'm a mathematician and so I go through enormous amounts of scrap paper so I always let Flip chew on it and shred it. He has some branches and toys in his cage that are destructible but he's not too interested in destroying them. Are there any things that might be safe and easy to get (say from a pet shop or supermarket) that I could try and focus his attention on? I don't actually know what a seagrass mat is.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tmck3053 Yes, there are times during the year when Snerky seems more aggressive and hormonal.

Seagrass mats and other such destroyables can be found at the vendors on AA. :) MSBS sells packs of them and you can get them with or without toys and in different sizes. I get lots of things from IGAW as well. They also love willow perches for the bark. Snerky will strip the bark off of them and actually whittle the perch itself down. :D

This thread, around the 12th post or so - I posted some suggestions:

Supply suggestions? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
Oh lovely! I'll have a look at some of that today! Hopefully shipping all the way to the southern hemisphere is not a problem. I'll check it out. :)

As a quick update - Flip was a bit more relaxed yesterday morning, spending a bit more time with us before going off to investigate various places and trying to climb into my pockets. This morning, however, he was back to his sweetest - he wanted cuddles and pats and sat on my shoulder all morning while I cooked breakfast. I'll keep an eye on him but thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice - it was my first experience with my little bird's hormonal cycles and it was nice to receive some calming input that stopped me freaking out so much about it.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
you could also try Parrot Rescue Centre or My Parrot Shop, which are based here in Aus. :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tmck3053 I'm glad Flip is being cuddly again. :)

When you cook breakfast, are you using stainless steel? (Don't you worry anout cooking on the stovetop with Flip on you?)

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
you could also try Parrot Rescue Centre or My Parrot Shop, which are based here in Aus. :)
Oh that's great! I'll check them out. :) Thanks for that!

@tmck3053 I'm glad Flip is being cuddly again. :)

When you cook breakfast, are you using stainless steel? (Don't you worry anout cooking on the stovetop with Flip on you?)
Not stainless steel - I use a teflon pan. Does that make a difference? I'm not too worried about cooking on the stovetop with Flip around - I have scrambled eggs in the morning so it only takes 2-3 minutes and he grips my shirt quite tightly so I can normally tell before he's going to fly anywhere. I'm always pretty careful with him. He's more interested normally in trying to steal my bread off my plate.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Teflon is very, very toxic to birds. It releases fumes that will kill them with virtually no notice. You should switch to ceramic.