• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clues to age of Cape

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
image.jpeg image.png It's unclear what age my Gray headed Cape is. The seller said likely between 1.5 and 4, but he had no paperwork. I've bee reading on here about the baby white tufts on a Cape's wings. Greyson has these still. He is 348g. When do the tufts disappear? Do they mean he is closer to the 1.5 than the 4 years? Any insight would br appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So helpful. Ollie is gorgeous. He looks smaller than Grayson. How many grams does he weigh?

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Last time I weighed him he was 342g. He was at the vet the other day and was a bit more, but not sure the exact weight. Pretty darn close to Grayson.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Ugh. Such pretty birds. Please keep posting lots of pictures, I love seeing them!! Not enough capes on the Avenue :xflove:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow, they look like mirror images except for the white tuft.
Well there goes that clue.
It's really hard to tell age in birds but you said he has a band. Maybe you can write down all the letters/numbers & track it.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Perry and Olly are so gorgeous! It's so funny how they weigh almost exactly the same as Grayson I've been a bit worried because Grayson's previous owner had him on way too many sunflower seeds I'm working to remove those and replace with a pellet/seed blend with a few nuts what do you feed Perry and Olly? image.jpeg

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Great pictures of Greyson and Olly. Beautiful parrots.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Yes I'm looking into the band. It says IL JK 4. The IL is sideways and means Illinois. No luck yet on finding the breeder "JK," although I'm thinking of contacting Windy City Parrot to see if they might know.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Perry and Olly are so gorgeous! It's so funny how they weigh almost exactly the same as Grayson I've been a bit worried because Grayson's previous owner had him on way too many sunflower seeds I'm working to remove those and replace with a pellet/seed blend with a few nuts what do you feed Perry and Olly? View attachment 223407
In the morning they get a mash, with fresh fruit. All day In their cages they have harrisons high potency pellets, and 3 harrisons power treats. They get 3-5 almonds hid in their cage a day, and bird bread. Then throughout the day they get whatever healthy food we have. Here's a pic of their mash. 20150717_142034.jpg

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yes I'm looking into the band. It says IL JK 4. The IL is sideways and means Illinois. No luck yet on finding the breeder "JK," although I'm thinking of contacting Windy City Parrot to see if they might know.
I'm in Illinois I'll see if I can find some info. Olly was from an Illinois breeder, but we are his second home. He is not banded. Perry's from Indiana.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You might want to consider contacting Scott Lewis, the owner of Old World Aviaries. Here is a link to his website: Old World Aviaries - Hand-fed baby parrots . He is a very well respected breeder of Cape parrots, who has bred them for many years. He may be able to answer your question regarding the white tuff of feathers.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Scott Lewis is also a member of the Cape parrot facebook group. That would be your best bet to get specific cape related info. There are 208 members from all around the world breeders and owners. I posted your band on there yesterday to see if anyone could identify it, no luck yet.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks so much everyone!