• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splendid grass parakeets

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I got 3 splendid grass parakeets a month ago these birds are the most scared birds I have ever seen in my life he kept them in the basement and I just wonder if thry were never around people I have them in my other room not in the livingroom I'm wondering if I should have them in the living room or keep them in the spare room until they get used to me any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Most grass parakeets are aviary birds, which means that they generally don't form close nit bonds to humans like other parrot species may. They are also not known for talking. Due to this, they are not considered good "pet" birds, but do great in an aviary!

So the behavior you are seeing is probably "normal".

I would recommend placing them in an area that would cause the least amount of stress to them as they get accustomed to you and your home.

H MAN

Meeting neighbors
Might suggest if you have a large movable cage to move them near a window.
they may need to hear other birds.
Just saying.

Charlette

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a male and female Splendid and I just love these cheerful little clowns. The male is more outgoing than the female but she is playful too. They both love to play with toys and recently I put a few foot toys in their cage and he picks up the the ball with the bell inside and tosses it. I have them inside a large tall vision cage and have it in my den. I love this cage because of the horizontal bars and they climb alot. I also have a heat lamp on top of the cage in a clamp lamp and have put a perch at a safe distance under it. They both love to get under it and spread their wings and soak up the heat. They actually fuss over who gets to go first. I also have another clamp lamp on top of the cage with a full spectrum bulb that is on most of the day. I have put the cage beside the island in my kitchen and opened the doors and they have come out to eat birdy bread. Sometimes they fly but I approach slowly and tell them to step up and have gotten them stick trained. No they aren't cuddly but if if you love pure eye candy with a sweet voice and disposition then it's hard to beat these sweet birds. They are very cautious but have gotten comfortable around my two linnies and parrotlet. They also love to bathe. When I got them it really was because they are just so beautiful but I have been pleasantly surprised at just how much more there is to these birds than just looks.