• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone know if this is a healthy weight?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I payed a quick visit to my little guy today and I noticed a bird scale I've never noticed before. So I asked if we could weigh him.

He was only 73 grams.

I don't know his exact hatch day but I do know that he's somewhere between about 9-10 weeks old.

Does anyone have any idea if that's a good weight? Seems kind of small to me, but I am not sure how much babies should weigh.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Quakers have a huge weight scale. I, personally, wouldn't think that 73 grams is too small for a young'n, but it really depends on his body condition. It would be impossible to say without putting my hands on him.

I've heard of adult quakers weighing less than 100 grams. Pippin has held steady at roughly 110 grams since his first annual check up. I've also heard of perfectly healthy Quakers weighing in at a whopping 150 grams.

If you're worried, ask for their weight records on him. Since he's been hand-reared with them, they should have an accurate tally of his weight and growth.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:
Different bird weigh different amounts :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo is 95g and perfect body score, where Bobber is about 110g and actually underweight! So its really important to asses the body condition vs taking the weight at value.

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Last time Yoshi was weighed, he was only 112g at about 9 months old or so. He's grown a bit since then, but I doubt it's been much of a change.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you all for your responses!

I see what you guys mean about body stature and condition, and I 've also read that adult quakers can be anywhere from 90-150 but I'm wondering if anyone knows specifically what baby's weights are?

Can I expect a significant weight gain in the next few months or will just be a little guy?

The quaker I used to have was 143 grams. He was a little overweight but not too much. I just hope this baby is healthy and not missing any feedings or anything?

Painesgray, thanks for the suggestion to ask them about his weight chart. That would be the best thing to do but I honestly don't really feel comfortable asking because I could tell they're already sick of me and my overprotective worrisome questions.

Plus when I put him on the scale today he seemed terrified of it like he had not been on it alot. I kind of doubt they really keep a solid record of it.

I know I should feel comfortable asking them anything I want to ask but I don't. I think they're tired of me in there.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
If I recall correctly, I think @melissasparrots breeds quakers?

Melissa, I'm sorry to bother you but if you see this, do you know if 73 grams is normal for a 9-10 week old quaker?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They do also lose weight when they are about to fledge, so a weight chart should definitely help. I wouldn't feel bad at all about asking questions. You are paying them money, it is your right to ask those questions! Don't be bashful, especially when it's the health of your baby!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh, I did not know they lose weight before they fledge. Thank you for telling me, Mizzely!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It makes it easier for them to try and fly if they weigh a little less, I think?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I recall correctly, I think @melissasparrots breeds quakers?

Melissa, I'm sorry to bother you but if you see this, do you know if 73 grams is normal for a 9-10 week old quaker?
My quakers are the normal green variety and I've never seen one lower than 90g. Most of them are at their skinniest at about 9-10 weeks when weaning and they will usually be around 96-105g then. Most of them hit peak weights of about 112-135. A decent indicator of the baby's eventual adult weight would be to know what his peak weight was which would be at around 30-35 days old. Specifically, mine usually hit their peak at 33 days old. To me, 73 seems super low. However, if the baby has some mutation lines in his background, that may cause him to be much smaller. I'd feel his keel bone and make sure he has decent musculature on either side. As a baby, the keel bone will probably be prominent but not sharp. Compare to diagrams of body composition scores.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you so much @melissasparrots! That's very helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

He does have mutations in his bloodline because his clutch mates are light blue & turquoise, and his keel does not feel sharp, so I guess he's just a little guy.