• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch Breeding Problems

TenacitySTF

Checking out the neighborhood
I purchased two society chocolate pieds 4 months ago from my friends breeding stock, she assured me that they were not related, they have laid about 4 clutches, I waited about 3 weeks for each clutch and non of them have hatched, they have a breeding formula mixed in with an all finch diet, a cuttlebone and ample access to water at all time and are kept in a very consistent environment
is thee anything im doing wrong?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wish I could help you and welcome to AA. Best person to ask about this is @mythic55 Hope she sees the tag or thread.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Have you candled the eggs? What is a breeding formula to you, and what is a finch mix. Are you sure you have a male? Males have a lovely, quiet song. It dose not sound like a cricket! Where is the cage, what is it on? What nesting material are you using? What kind of nest are you saying? Have you made sure the birds can access the soft part of the cuttle bone? I often take a knife to oust and cut some slivers off to make it easier for small beaks.

I know, tons of questions but there are so many things that could impact breeding. It's... Very uncommon to have problems. When I worked in petsmart we had a pair breed in the tiny quarantine cage! Also welcome!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I purchased two society chocolate pieds 4 months ago from my friends breeding stock, she assured me that they were not related, they have laid about 4 clutches, I waited about 3 weeks for each clutch and non of them have hatched, they have a breeding formula mixed in with an all finch diet, a cuttlebone and ample access to water at all time and are kept in a very consistent environment
is thee anything im doing wrong?
Are they male and female?
Dietary could be an issue, but most of the time, it is infertile eggs.

I have a troubleshooting breeding guide on my website, you could take a look... but it sounds as if the eggs are infertile.