• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Luna

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry, fly free little one!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@SandraK im so sorry for your loss of Sonny too.

It's all so heartbreaking because they are all so special. We try our best, but sometimes things happen. May Luna and Sonny rest in peace.:sorrow:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I didn't mean to derail this thread by any means but I did mean to make a point that sometimes, no matter what we've done to keep our fids safe, caca happens. As a parront, one feels guilty as all get-out because we are supposed to keep everyone in our care safe.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I didn't mean to derail this thread by any means but I did mean to make a point that sometimes, no matter what we've done to keep our fids safe, caca happens. As a parront, one feels guilty as all get-out because we are supposed to keep everyone in our care safe.
That's exactly what my mom said. " I was supposed to keep her safe and I failed her" ... I told her that there comes a point where you have to make a calculated risk - she got to enjoy a cage free life as opposed to being locked up all day for her "safety" and I think that's worth it. I could just as easily close Phoenix or Miles in the door and the guilt would be immense. :(

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Unfortunately, accidents happen. It could have happened to anyone and many others have had tragedies like this. It's going to take her a long time to forgive herself. All you can do is be supportive and reassuring. So very sad. :sadhug2:

Last SWS I lost someone close to me and couldn't enjoy taking part in it. This time I can. I'm sure there will be another, so don't force yourself to participate. The deals will come around again.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm so sorry for your and your mother's loss. :sadhug2:

AA was my wake up call, posts like these are a constant reminder. We can be as diligent as we want but so many people get no chance to make a mistake, no warning, the first accident is the last. Or not even that and a bird will do something we never even imagined.
I wish I knew what you could say to her too, I never know what to say either. I'm sure "don't blame yourself" must sound hollow to her right now even though you are sincere. Your gift idea sounds lovely though.

@SandraK
I'm sorry for your loss too. :sadhug2:

So much sadness recently. :sad1:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I liked your post because it is something that happens in spite of all of our cautions, restrictions and safety things we've done and have in place. Please relay my condolences to your mom and tell her that there are things that happen to our beloved fids which are out of our control sometimes.

I didn't post it, but this week I lost Sonny, the tiel I had originally got to keep Kiwi Quaker company back in 2008? I'm not sure what happened exactly since the tiels are all free-flighted specifically to keep them safe from the gccs & Quakers. What I do know is that Sonny broke his neck. His OH Peeps is on her own and is hanging out with the other tiels Sonny (adopted, 22 years old) and Theo tiel - both of whom are the "odd men out" in the flock. Sonny doesn't/can't fly and Theo keeps breaking his flight feathers so he doesn't/can't fly either.

If it will make her feel better, please tell her about Rainbow Bridge. And give her a huge hug from someone who has lost fids to things that I thought we had ensured could never happen. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:
So sorry Sandra...

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My Heart goes out to both of you. I am so sorry for your losses.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
So sorry for your moms loss

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:sorrow: :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

And @SandraK, I'm so sorry about Sonny.

Hugs to you both.

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm really sorry for both of your losses girls :sad11::sadhug2::sadhug2:

I lost one budgie once that was eaten by a friend's dog. He was cage free and a kid from the neighborhood opened the front door and the dog got in and killed him, back then I didnt know anything about parrots, he had a bad clip and couldn't fly.

I also got Citrus' feet caught in a door's frame, but she didn't break anything since her feet are small, she just got a small wound.

I also used to nap with her and when I was sick I turned over with my full weight on her. Good thing is cushions are soft...

We sometimes have to make mistakes to understand dangers. I surely learnt from them, and yes I feel guilty still, but that guilt makes me be sure I won't ever going to make the same mistakes again.

I'm sure your mother gave her a good life, and even if these things happen, we also have to learn from the things we did, both good and bad.

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
:( I am so sorry for the loss of Luna. She was a gorgeous girlie! :heart:

Fly free sweet little Luna! :sorrow:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I liked your post because it is something that happens in spite of all of our cautions, restrictions and safety things we've done and have in place. Please relay my condolences to your mom and tell her that there are things that happen to our beloved fids which are out of our control sometimes.

I didn't post it, but this week I lost Sonny, the tiel I had originally got to keep Kiwi Quaker company back in 2008? I'm not sure what happened exactly since the tiels are all free-flighted specifically to keep them safe from the gccs & Quakers. What I do know is that Sonny broke his neck. His OH Peeps is on her own and is hanging out with the other tiels Sonny (adopted, 22 years old) and Theo tiel - both of whom are the "odd men out" in the flock. Sonny doesn't/can't fly and Theo keeps breaking his flight feathers so he doesn't/can't fly either.

If it will make her feel better, please tell her about Rainbow Bridge. And give her a huge hug from someone who has lost fids to things that I thought we had ensured could never happen. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

I'm so sorry Sandra! :( Fly free Sonny!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I just saw this...

So sorry for the loss of Luna & Sonny :sadhug2:

:sorrow::sorrow: