• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie Bird Owners

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
So I saw some people talking about a section for new or yet-to-be bird owners. This would be a section with space for information, links, stories, questions, and more. It could provide:
  • the essentials of bird ownership; outlined through some pinned posts(with links for further research)
  • lists of kinds of products to buy and links to specific items
  • discussions over the details of food, vets, toys, and the like
  • plenty of space for questions, announcements, advice, discussions, etc
We could also have a similar topic of 'things to consider for new owners' in each specific bird category, where people can provide more information and links for specific birds.'

I think this would be an incredibly valuable resource, especially to people like me who don't have their bird but want to be prepared.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
A good starting point is "The good, bad and ugly" sections under each bird forum. Do you have any specific birds you are looking to get?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
And :hello:!

Dian

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dianna Garrett
Um getting a parritlet in a few weeks. I need 2 know which cleaning supplies wont kill my bird. I know i cant use bleach. I was looking at what can kill a bird pretty much everythibg. Help plz

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So I saw some people talking about a section for new or yet-to-be bird owners. This would be a section with space for information, links, stories, questions, and more. It could provide:
  • the essentials of bird ownership; outlined through some pinned posts(with links for further research)
  • lists of kinds of products to buy and links to specific items
  • discussions over the details of food, vets, toys, and the like
  • plenty of space for questions, announcements, advice, discussions, etc
We could also have a similar topic of 'things to consider for new owners' in each specific bird category, where people can provide more information and links for specific birds.'

I think this would be an incredibly valuable resource, especially to people like me who don't have their bird but want to be prepared.

The whole purpose of the forum and its sections is to ask the exact things you've listed. You ask a question and a discussion begins. The problem with this "newbie" section is that who is going to populate it with all this info since the newbies don't know anything? If you have a concern or question just ask your question in the appropriate section and start the dialog.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Some use a vinegar and water solution, others use F10, some use Poop Off (I think that is what it is called). I started with vinegar, water and a touch of regular Dawn dish soap. Now using F10 because it is also more germ killing than the other. Not sure about the poop off, but those that use it swear it gets the poo off better than anything else. LoL!

Angel_Kisses

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Angel
I use apple cider vinegar n water 50/50 then rinse n sun dry. I also use natures miracle scrubbing wipes and pop off! I clean my cages all time.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I use avi-clean for my cages and I have a diluted cleaner I use around the house and disinfectant wipes because I'm also a care taker. I also air my house out all the time like crazy.