• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lamenent or Refinish hardwoods or ...?

Alee

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm updating 83 year old but tiny home. I was going to install Allure Travel Master "vinyl" planks until I googled 'hazard vinyl floor' and discovered toxic chemicals in Allure vinyl and the glue used created MANY health issues in people and dogs and cats. Linoleum is not vinyl and is made of natural eco safe products, but I don't want to glue something to the old hardwoods. Are there non-stick linoleum products?

If I refinish the hardwoods polyurethane is applied as a top coat. It comes in oil base and non-oil base apparently. Polyurethane itself is toxic to birds, but as a top coat it shouldn't be a problem after the fumes dissopate, right? If so, how long should I wait before reintroducing my blue and gold macaws to the house after the polyurethane is applied?

Any advice or other suggestions other than carpeting or real tile?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what we used in the birdroom Rust-Oleum Parks 1-gal. Crystal Clear Satin Water-Based Polyurethane-258690 - The Home Depot we kept the birds on a different level for I think a week, just to be safe. The odor was gone as soon as it was dry, but because it was their room we didn't take any chances.
When we do the rest of the house we will use oil based, I like the way it ambers up. Water based does not change or deepen the color of the wood.
If you do oil based poly err on the side of caution and wait a week before the birds come back. Have fans in your windows blowing out to help it dissipate quicker.

Alee

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you! This is very useful and much needed information!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! This is very useful and much needed information!

You're welcome :) Let me know if you have any other questions.