• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your experience with Male or Female Parrotlets

LittleBirdies

Sprinting down the street
Hi! I was just curious what has been everyone's experience with male or female Parrotlets? Thanks in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think they are about equal in terms of pet qualities. As breeders, the females are more likely to bite when I have to handle them for cage cleaning and around food bowls. As pets, both can become territorial about the inside of their cage or bowls. I have not had any egg laying problems with pet females. IMO, I'd get whichever baby from a clutch that you like the most and ignore the coloring or sex of the bird.

Lestat

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa-Marie
I have a female, she's not cage territorial but I put that down to her personality. She's tame but she doesn't like sitting on hands but she'll gladly sit on your shoulder or head (she's currently on my head). She's obsessed with preening my face and hair and likes to try and remove my ear tunnels. She's very quiet, even when she's trying to be loud and she's never bitten (yet). Even when she doesn't want to do something (like go back in the cage lol) she'll never clamp down, its more like she's trying to move your hand. She's not had any egg laying problems either.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
i have a male and female.
the female is very bold, active and curious. no cage agression.
the male is a laid back, easy going and a bit shy. he will never ever bite you, the female can be a bit witchy from time to time.
both birds have learned to give kisses, he does this with all te love he has, she can give a quick kiss with a little nip in the lip sometimes. :smuggrin:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Males are more vocal and louder IMO.
They have also funnier personality.
Females I had were rather laid back.