• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet hormones, advice on what to do

Johno

Meeting neighbors
hey everybody,

Just need a bit of advise, I have had my Indian ring necked parakeet (Rudy) 10+ years ago, he was an averey bird so for all of his life before being with me he was basically as good as wild and age unknown but was over 2 as his ring was formed.

It's taken many years but he now takes food from my hand ect.

But my question is in November last year I rescued a timnah African grey (Pickle) who has bonded with me.

I'm not sure if it's related but this year Rudy has been very hormonal and is more often than not feeding his mirror and extremely vocal. I just wanted to check if I'm doing the right thing by leaving him to it with his mirror or should I remove it?. I seem to think I should leave him as is and let nature play its course but just wanted to check as I wouldn't want to do the wrong thing so thaught to check on here.

Pickle in comparison seems to be less hormonal this time of year when compared to last autum, but because she is bonded to me I can control what I do to reduce her need or distract, but Rudy isn't particularly bonded so a bit more tricky to control.

Thanks for your help

John

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Trying to "bump" this for you...hormones must be really out of control this year...I have 4 tiels that share a large cage and have for several years and I have just begun to separate them into pairs when I am not home to supervise...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My IRN is less hormonal than he was last year,,,,thankfully! I get regurge on everything I touch! It's normal, he will get over it. Some years are worse than others..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan, our IRN, is still in his "silly season", where he attempts to feed your fingers and toes, then mate with them. This year seems to be a little more intense than in the past- he's 25 years old. He also is much more demanding of spending time with us, again, to make the attempt to mate.

Titan does not have access to mirrors. He will continually "feed" them, enough that he loses weight...