• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non Stick Pots and Pans

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
I finally took my Sunny to an Avian Vet (I highly recommend this). She was excellent and I'm so happy I found her. She's about 40 minutes away, but she is definitely my sweetie's new doctor. In general, she told me that I was doing a good job, but I was surprised when she told me that there is something that burns off of non stick pots and pans such as Teflon which is deadly to canaries. I didn't know that, and I'm very grateful she told me. I don't know what I'll do about my already challenged cooking skills, but at lease my birdie is safe.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
There are new nonsticks that don't contain the chemicals that create toxic gases when overheated. Look for ones that say "PFOA/PTFE free" - they are usually ceramic or mineral based.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are new nonsticks that don't contain the chemicals that create toxic gases when overheated. Look for ones that say "PFOA/PTFE free" - they are usually ceramic or mineral based.
Kids bought me a set of stainless pots and pans after parrots moved in.

I bought my own nonstick ceramic and love it. There are more PTFE/PFOA fee pans on the market these days.

Also, NEVER run the self clean cycle on your stove. It will kill your birds.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I bought a great set of professional grade stainless steel from IKEA. Less than $200. I don't even miss the non-stick.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Don't buy cheap ceramic. Trust me. I would never touch that non stick crap again after using the ceramic, they are SO wonderful!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Almost all nonstick pans used to be made with teflon or otherr PTFE coatings. Luckily, these have finally been phased out due to the health concerns (besides being deadly to birds when overheated, they can make people sick too). A lot of the non stick cookware you see being sold now is safe, but if you have non stick pans that are more than a couple years old, chances are good they are not safe.
I haven't tried the new ceramic non stick, but I cook with stainless steel and cast iron. Stainless steel does stick a bit but it's fine for most things. Cast iron is the best when you really need something nonstick - even eggs don't stick to them.