• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milk thistle and other questions

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Milk thistle, do you give just the purple flower or all? Dandelion?.the flower or all of it.. you look it up and it just says the word...well no need more info..

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Milk thistle is commonly offered to birds as the dried seed, but it also available as a powder....buy organic. Mix it in with dry cage mix, or add to a mash mix.
Dandelion - if you're fortunate enough to live in the country & use no pesticides, chop up the leaves and feed it that way.
Dried dandelion leaf is awesome for birds - you'll find it an an ingredient in quite a few parrot products.
Or buy it, organic, from a good health food store.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i put extracts of both in Percys water once a week he seems to like it even though it makes the water bitter he waits to drink after i put it in

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Dandelion flowers are everywhere!!! People hate them! I'm Grabbing them for my crabs!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I HATE dandelions in my lawn and wage war with them every summer. My neighbors are apparently dandelion farmers. However, I do buy organic dandelion greens regularly at my neighborhood Kroger's.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Milk thistle is commonly offered to birds as the dried seed, but it also available as a powder....buy organic. Mix it in with dry cage mix, or add to a mash mix.
Dandelion - if you're fortunate enough to live in the country & use no pesticides, chop up the leaves and feed it that way.
Dried dandelion leaf is awesome for birds - you'll find it an an ingredient in quite a few parrot products.
Or buy it, organic, from a good health food store.

I need to add milk thistle to my dry mix! I have a good supply, so thanks, @Deejo :)

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
We is country..little town.. laid back farmer type towny..most of us just mow. I also give them to my crabs

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I dug up 3 good size Dandelion plants put one in Freddy's foraging basket and another in his foraging ball. Lol it looks like he has plants in his cage minus the root. See how he likes those. My lovebirds are curious about it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Be very careful about digging up ones from a lawn unless you own the lawn and know it's not sprayed.