• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whats the scoop with these nutriberry things?

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Popper and Rio were on a seeds mix and I'm having limited success in getting them to eat brightly colored pellets. I'm guessing getting them to eat healthy pellets will be even harder. BUT Rio loves those nutriberry things. I could feed her those instead of pellets if they are nutritionally as healthy. What is the groups collective wisdom about them?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
NB are essentially seed with some fruit or nut mixed in. They are really treats.
I looked them up & apparently some of them have a small amount of pellets mixed in.
They look like a great treat but would not think them as a major portion of the diet.
Parrot Nutri-Berries - Pet Bird Food by Lafeber Co.
There ingredients lists peanuts which can be dangerous

I think even colored pellets are better than all seeds.
Mine like Intune by Higgins. It also has sugar but it contains all natural dyes. Also it has better ingredients than some pellets which are more of a corn wheat thing. Pellets also have probiotics good for digestion.

These have rice & oatmeal in them too.

Ingredients
Ground Yellow Corn, Brown Rice, Soybean Meal, Ground Wheat, Oatmeal, Cane Sugar, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Sea Salt, Cranberries, Apples, Blueberries, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Spinach, Watercress, Brewer's Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Algae Meal, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Extract, Iron Oxide, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Seleni, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Turmeric, Natural Annatto Coloring, Beet Juice, Natural Citrus Flavor, Natural Banana Flavor, Natural Pineapple Flavor, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

Also I think if you write Harrisons or Roudybush they will send you a sample. Roudy bush sent me a good size sample but my guy did not like it

Last edited:

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Actually yes many people feed Nutriberries as a subsitute for Pellets they both balance your birds diet.So yes you can feed the Nutriberries instead of pellets.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I feed all flavors of nutriberries once a week

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
NB are essentially seed with some fruit or nut mixed in. They are really treats.
No they aren't.

They hull the seeds, then coat them with vitamins, and roll them into a ball with ground pellets & other ingredients. They are nutritionally equivalent to pellets, just not ground up. There is no shell waste and so the nutritional coating is not lost like on standard seed mixes. My birds get them occasionally as an alternative to pellets. They all love them and eat every last bit of them. They are great for foraging, too - they fit perfectly inside palm finger wraps, foraging pots, etc. ;)

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
My avian vet said they are great. She advised my birds to be on pellets and nutriberries (additionally fresh fruit/veggies). I use lafeber.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
none of my six birds will even look at nutriberries, not even just to crunch them up like a toy and make a mess. I have bought and offered a number of times. I always just shake my head when people say how their birds love them. a mystery.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
none of my six birds will even look at nutriberries, not even just to crunch them up like a toy and make a mess. I have bought and offered a number of times. I always just shake my head when people say how their birds love them. a mystery.
Haha. Funny how they can be so picky!
Mine don't like any flavor but the regular plain and carrot/pea. Maybe try another flavor?

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
my guys love nutriberries and avicakes - they practically inhale them

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My flock loves nutriberries. :laugh:
In addition to their pellets, they regularly get either their specific seed amount for the day or 1-2 nutriberries.
Along with their fresh food of course.
They make great foraging toy stuffers also.
Yuka prefers the El Paso ones, while Mimi loves the Garden Veggie. Kumo hasn't selected a preference just yet. :D
I'd suggest giving them a try.
:)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They hull the seeds, then coat them with vitamins, and roll them into a ball with ground pellets & other ingredients. They are nutritionally equivalent to pellets, just not ground up. There is no shell waste and so the nutritional coating is not lost like on standard seed mixes. My birds get them occasionally as an alternative to pellets. They all love them and eat every last bit of them. They are great for foraging, too - they fit perfectly inside palm finger wraps, foraging pots, etc. ;)
Excellent post!

My birds are also loving the new
Fruit Delight Avi-Cakes - Pet Bird Food by Lafeber Co.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked them up & apparently some of them have a small amount of pellets mixed in.
They look like a great treat but would not think them as a major portion of the diet.
Parrot Nutri-Berries - Pet Bird Food by Lafeber Co.
There ingredients lists peanuts which can be dangerous
It seems you are not familiar with the Lafeber product line.

Years ago I emailed Dr. Lafeber about their products (when we were going through the many food recalls because of the China foods) and he was most gracious to offer a detailed explanation of their ingredients to me. I will share it with you.

Regarding our ingredients:

All of the grains used in Lafeber foods are grown in the USA or Canada. Our corn is non-GMO (genetically modified organism) and literally grown outside our windows in the same fields my grandfather farmed. We have found that seed-grain growing standards for the USA and Canada are very good and can be trusted. Lafeber Company only purchases grain from the USA and Canada, even if other foreign grains are cheaper.

Ingredients that are imported from outside the USA, which go into Lafeber foods, are human grade. This would include the mango, papaya, pineapples that are in our Tropical Fruit and Sunny Orchard Nutri-berries.

Our human grade broccoli, red and green peppers and carrots, which are in our El Paso and Veggie Nutri-berries, are from China and are the only foods with ingredients from China. While these foods are human grade and have passed our quality control testing process, which includes our staff actually tasting and eating the ingredients, we are now concerned about any foods purchased from China and we are now purchasing our vegetables from new suppliers.

Regarding Lafeber Company quality control and manufacturing process:

Unlike many human and animal food companies that have their food manufactured by someone else, the Lafeber Company manufactures all of its own products in our plant in Cornell, Illinois. We have been manufacturing our own bird food since 1973. This is rare in the companion animal food world. By manufacturing all of our own foods, we can personally inspect all of the ingredients going into the product. This is not possible when your food is made by someone else a thousand, or more, miles away.

Premium nutrition begins with the ingredients. Upon arriving at our company, all ingredients are placed into a holding area and are tested before being used. Anything that is suspect or that fails a test, is immediately rejected. For example, because peanuts are susceptible to aflatoxin, each batch is aflatoxin tested even though the peanuts are all human grade and purchased from the same suppliers found in your local grocery store. The safest peanuts you can give your bird are in Nutri-berries.

My personal philosophy is that, if you want quality companion animal food, you need people working at the company who love animals. We specifically focus on employing people who love their animals, so that they will personally care about our food the way you would.

Our personal birds are deeply loved and respected members of our family. The Lafeber foods must be made to the highest nutritional standards possible because my own feathered family members depend on Lafeber nutrition. Outside of my master bedroom is our family bird room of eight macaws and parrots with an average age of about 26 years old. They eat the same foods that your own beloved feathered families do. Their base diet is Nutri-berries, supplemented with Avi-cakes, pellets, and Nutri-meals. They also get fresh fruits and veggies every day. Nutri-nuts and, occasionally, vanilla wafers, are their special treats.

Guidelines to help determine what foods are safest for your bird:

Read the label- only buy foods that have been produced in the USA or Canada
Look for companies that have a history of understanding that your “pet” is a beloved family member.
Does the company actually make their own food? If not, who makes their food?
Does the company have a good reputation?
Organic foods can be good but are not always a safe haven. For example:
Recent problems from California of e-coli contaminated organic spinach.
Are organic foods that China exports to the USA safe?
Is the CEO & President a passionate animal lover? Does he/she feed the food he/she makes to his/her own beloved animal companions?

In my 29 years of food experience, the company President directly determines the quality of the food made for your feather companion.

Last, because I trust my beloved family feathered family on Lafeber foods, you can trust your beloved family members on our foods, as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lafeber

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sam and Joey like them alot. I use them as a treat, they can work really well silencing an afternoon scream session for a bit. Recently they have become obsessed with avi cakes, which they never cared for before. Strange.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Haha. Funny how they can be so picky!
Mine don't like any flavor but the regular plain and carrot/pea. Maybe try another flavor?
I've wasted money on three flavors already, and have also tried avicakes to no interest either.
but as time goes by and I read how everyone loves them..... and I sucker myself into trying them again.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I've wasted money on three flavors already, and have also tried avicakes to no interest either.
but as time goes by and I read how everyone loves them..... and I sucker myself into trying them again.
Don't waste your money on them instead go to cockatielcottage.net and get their recipe for avicakes basically it's seeds and honey baked.