• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a sleep cage

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Hello all! I am new to the forum. We are getting a CAG, our first bird! It will be about 4 months old when we get it, provided everything goes smoothly with the weaning. My husband and I are interested in a sleeping/roosting cage but would love some advice! I've read a lot about it but can't find a suggested size for a Grey. I know they can be on the smaller side with only water and one or no toys ( I also know you don't want to leave the other food ring without a bowl of it as it is dangerous). I know covering the cage versus not covering seems to be on an individual basis. Should we include a toy? When should we start bringing the new bird into the sleeper cage? Do we wait a couple days? Longer or shorter? I plan on having a travel carrier but also the sleeper cage will travel with us when we're gone overnight as the main cage. Could I use the sleeper can use as the travel carrier also or do you think I should have both? I was thinking of purchasing either the travel carrier or the sleeper cage and giving it to the breeder so our bird could get used to that particular cage and the transition home would be easier. Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? Thanks!

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
The size: about twice it's wingspan in width, if my source is correct. Maybe a little smaller, since this is a sleeping cage. Yes, include toys, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a few swings or shredders/preeners. Considering a CAG's size, a travelling carrier might be ideal. I think you can put him in it right away, just not overnight if he is extra nervous. I don't know If I got lucky or not but my bird is very adaptable and hardly nervous with change.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! It is probably the biggest thing I'm nervous about... The ability to except change. So I'm hoping if I steadily and constantly introduce new things it will be alright. We have family about four hours away and we go through times where we can visit them quite a bit.... And while it will take some practice and conditioning I'm hoping our bird will be able to come with us!

Marcella

Real Name
Marcella
Thank you! It is probably the biggest thing I'm nervous about... The ability to except change. So I'm hoping if I steadily and constantly introduce new things it will be alright. We have family about four hours away and we go through times where we can visit them quite a bit.... And while it will take some practice and conditioning I'm hoping our bird will be able to come with us!
I'll give you my two cents worth!! And congrats - very exciting!! I am planning for my CAG - don't have one yet, but have had caiques before.
I consulted with Pamela Clark - google her.....worth every penny if you want to get started off well. I had the same question.
She advised on three cages. 1) The main cage set up in the family room 2) A "siesta cage" - this would serve a two-fold function. Sleep cage and also a "quiet time" cage. For example, if you entertain a lot, have workmen coming in, or generally a lot going on in her main cage area - transfer her to the "siesta cage" basically - her "safe place". Keep it in quiet room, away from the commotion. I am using my caique's cage which is 22"D x 24" L - 3/4" bar spacing. Place two perches. A higher roosting perch, and then a main perch that runs horizontally. This cage should have two bowls: water and pellets and one or two toys. You could offer a play station close to it, in the event that the household is just too chaotic. 3) A travel cage - having a hard time with this. Probably something for back and forth to the vet.
If, however, you plan on travelling with your bird, you will need a secondary "main cage", but smaller and less elaborate than her "main cage" at home.
Would your family mind if you kept a secondary "main cage" at their house? Then you could pop her into the travel cage and transfer her to her - "Oh, goody, I'm going visiting" cage. I guess it depends on how long your visits to your family are.
Perhaps you could look for a cheapie, but roomy enough. We used to put our caiques cage on the roof of the care when we went for extended skiing trips. What a sight!
Good luck!

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
I'm in quite a similar situation! My family is getting a TAG towards the end of this summer, but I still have a bit of advice.
My family first got a 24" by 22" cage off of Amazon, for about $200 if I recall correctly. However, after doing some further reading, I became worried that this was too small for the grey to stay in for the 5 hours or so that nobody is home. So we then went and bought another, larger cage(30" by 22"). As it would be hard to sell the original bird cage, I did a bit of extra research and persuaded my parents that it could be used as a sleep cage. The cage doesn't have to be as big as 24" by 22", or even by 20".

Take a look at this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+10346+5063+22331&pcatid=22331
If you buy it standless and keep it on a table, it's quite budget-friendly. The stand is also not too much more, if you do need it. The cage itself big enough that your grey wouldn't feel crowded, yet small enough to take with you to travel. And, if you do travel, it's big enough to be a main cage while away. There's plenty of room for toys, and there are enough food bowls for water, pellets/seed, and veggies/fruit. However, if you do choose to feed them in the cage, you will probably want a seed guard(like Bird Cage Accessories: Universal Cage Seed Guards) to keep the mess mostly under control.

For a smaller travel cage, for day trips, you can see http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+6322+22099&pcatid=22099(I've become a walking F&S ad now XD). That one's big enough to give the bird room, all it's food, and a toy or two; while small enough to fit just about anywhere. It also folds down if you need to pack it for some reason. And it's less than $50.

Hope this was helpful. I understand that you want the very best for your bird, but that some things might not be possible due to budget constraints. Hope this is a good compromise between them.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Congratulations Skwawk and Marcella! I'm sure you both with be great companions for your greys since it seems you have both done your research. Marcella thank you for confirming! I thought the idea of the three cages seemed good but I wasn't sure if it was too much lol. It does seem to be a good idea to shave a larger maincage at my parent's house...it is thier grandbird after all! I will definitely be looking into Pamela Clark. Skwawk...are you a power shopper? Lol Our main cage is pretty big 36x28x66 with 1" spacing. The woman who helped us pick it out swore it was good for out bird! She is also the one who we are getting out little one from so I'm putting stock in that. For the other cages, the ones you picked out look great! I like that the travel one collapses, I'm still going back and forth between a cage like that for travel or more of a crate carrier...I just want a secure one so my bird doesn't fly away:wfa:. LOVE the table top one! That might be just what I need!
You aren't kidding about budget constraints! Lots of money to set these guys up for success!

Do you guys know where you are getting your birds from yet? I'm getting mine from a bird store ( I was very wary about stores at first )that is currently raising/weaning it. We did lots of searching before we decided on this store but they are fantastic people and they really care about their birds. They have been very great while we were deciding which bird was for us....almost.....so close...got a goffin cockatoo!

Thank you guys!

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
They look nice...I'm in Florida and would like to get hands on before I pick our bird... I also have mixed feelings about shipping a bird :D

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I have a 7 month old TAG and she already travels. We started her with car rides and going in our dog walks in her backpack. This gets her used to moving, different sights and sounds, etc.
She has a cage used in the travel trailer that I will post a picture of.

image.jpeg
This is her backpack. She rides in the car in his, goes on walks/ hiking and just " goes places". You could substitute this for her crate that she arrived at the airport in. She loves it.
There is a perch with vet wrap on it, a few toys and a towel on the bottom.
She " wants" to sleep in this. :)

image.jpeg

Below is her cage in the travel trailer. We put it outside for sure me sunshine or whatever. In traveling, we take boings with us to ensure that she gets proper excercises. They are used both vertically and connected horizontally.

image.jpeg

This youngster has traveled out of state and will go away this weekend.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Another photo of husband wearing the backpack for a walk in the neighborhood. View attachment 218580
These are phenomenal examples! Thank you so much! I love the back pack because we have two dogs also seems a great way to take the Bird on regular daily outings! I could use the kennel for longer traveling and a sleep cage? You've done a great job incorporating your bird into your life. Does the red cage collapse? How long did you wait to start putting her in the backpack?

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
These are phenomenal examples! Thank you so much! I love the back pack because we have two dogs also seems a great way to take the Bird on regular daily outings! I could use the kennel for longer traveling and a sleep cage? You've done a great job incorporating your bird into your life. Does the red cage collapse? How long did you wait to start putting her in the backpack?
Thank you! We have a lot of fun with her.
We waited 3 weeks before putting her in the backpack. Gave her time to adjust to the house, even though she seemed fine from day 1.
We placed the backpack on a table by her cage for the 3 weeks, so that it was not a new sight to her.

Marcella

Real Name
Marcella
I have a 7 month old TAG and she already travels. We started her with car rides and going in our dog walks in her backpack. This gets her used to moving, different sights and sounds, etc.
She has a cage used in the travel trailer that I will post a picture of.

View attachment 218577
This is her backpack. She rides in the car in his, goes on walks/ hiking and just " goes places". You could substitute this for her crate that she arrived at the airport in. She loves it.
There is a perch with vet wrap on it, a few toys and a towel on the bottom.
She " wants" to sleep in this. :)

View attachment 218578

Below is her cage in the travel trailer. We put it outside for sure me sunshine or whatever. In traveling, we take boings with us to ensure that she gets proper excercises. They are used both vertically and connected horizontally.

View attachment 218579

This youngster has traveled out of state and will go away this weekend.
@kathyth, that's the back pack that Pam Clark recommended during our many consultations. Good on you. You are well on your way to having a super well-adjusted and happy TAG. Enjoy the journey.

Marcella

Real Name
Marcella
Congratulations Skwawk and Marcella! I'm sure you both with be great companions for your greys since it seems you have both done your research. Marcella thank you for confirming! I thought the idea of the three cages seemed good but I wasn't sure if it was too much lol. It does seem to be a good idea to shave a larger maincage at my parent's house...it is thier grandbird after all! I will definitely be looking into Pamela Clark. Skwawk...are you a power shopper? Lol Our main cage is pretty big 36x28x66 with 1" spacing. The woman who helped us pick it out swore it was good for out bird! She is also the one who we are getting out little one from so I'm putting stock in that. For the other cages, the ones you picked out look great! I like that the travel one collapses, I'm still going back and forth between a cage like that for travel or more of a crate carrier...I just want a secure one so my bird doesn't fly away:wfa:. LOVE the table top one! That might be just what I need!
You aren't kidding about budget constraints! Lots of money to set these guys up for success!

Do you guys know where you are getting your birds from yet? I'm getting mine from a bird store ( I was very wary about stores at first )that is currently raising/weaning it. We did lots of searching before we decided on this store but they are fantastic people and they really care about their birds. They have been very great while we were deciding which bird was for us....almost.....so close...got a goffin cockatoo!

Thank you guys!
@BatmansWife - I truly urge you to book a consultation with Pamela Clark. In the grand scheme of things it won't cost a lot at all! She is a lovely lady. What she will emphasize is your baby CAG's weaning and flight experience. Your baby must be abundance weaned and abundance fed there after. He/she MUST BE ALLOWED TO FULLY FLEDGE, before going to a new home. CAG's are often described as clumsy and picky eaters. They are not clumsy at all, if they have been raised in a situation that allows them to develop the necessary musculature that comes by being allowed to learn how to fly, maneouver corners, slow down to alight on a perch and hover. They will not be picky eaters if your breeder has done a good job of introducing them to a variety of foods from as early on as 6 weeks of age. They don't eat it then, but they explore it....which sets them up to be curious and open to a healthy diet. You are really doing your best in your research regarding housing. But I want to set you up for long-term success. A CAG is sooo special!! Still didn't get mine, in the process of moving. Your chosen cage size is okay-ish. Bear in mind that Greys use horizontal space, much more than vertical space. And of course the lady that helped you out, swore it was good for the bird. She is in SALES!

Before you buy a lifetime bird from the pet store, ask the following questions:
1) at what age was the chick pulled from the nest - right answer 3-4 weeks
2) at what age did the baby become food independent - right answer 14-16 weeks, depending on bird
3) what foods was he/she weaned onto
4) was your baby allowed to fully fledge, before going home. If a clip is done, how is it accomplished? Answer: baby was allowed plenty of time to fledge. Regarding clipping the wings, consult with Pam. I don't know the correct clip, as I intend to bring home a fully flighted bird.
5) For how many hours are babies allowed to be out of their cages and socializing with other birds?
6) Are babies spoon-fed, syringe fed? Ask if they are gavage fed? If so STAY AWAY!!! - that is how geese are fed to produce foie gras.
7) at what age do you begin to offer pellets, fresh veggies and fruits, even if the baby doesn't accept them right away, that's okay.
8) ask if the baby was switched from formula to Scenic Diet Hand Weaning pellets - this conversion should be done at about 10-12 weeks of age. It's a great sign of a super breeder, but not a deal breaker.
9) how many breeding pairs do you have?

I don't want to rain on your parade!! Not at all!! But think carefully. Your relationship with your Grey is greatly determined by the first few months of its' life. You can be the most loving, devoted , excited PARRONT in the world. But consider carefully your baby's early months - if those are in line with my comments - go for it. If not, keep looking. I happily supplied you with questions that I paid for from my consultation with Pam Clark. So you got free advise. :dance4::dance4::dance4:.
Take a deep breath, and CALL Pam. You will never regret the consultation. However you may well regret bringing home a baby that has been inadequately socialized.

Disclaimer: I stand nothing in steering you towards Pam. I do not represent her, or gain any financial benefit from sharing information that I have acquired. All I know, is that we are both on the same journey. Bringing a CAG into our lives with as much happiness and success as we can plan for. It comes down to the bird! Yes, cages....etc are important, but you can spend a small fortune on that stuff. If the bird was not well-raised, your money, hopes and dreams will be crushed. :crycry: