• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker training my new parrotlets

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
Hi,

I recently purchased two parrotlets from two different situations. The baby is the more tame of the two, and I purchased a clicker online that I hope to use with her. Neddie is food motivated and will take millet from my hand. If I can successfully use the clicker with Neddie, I'm going to use it with all my other birds, including a gcc baby that is weaning right now. Very excited about training.

Biddy

Moving in
Real Name
Bridgette
Hi, I have seen them used on utube and they seem quite successful, do let us know how you go as I have been considering buying one myself.:geek:

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I want to start clicker training my cockatiel once she settles in.

Let us know how it goes!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
My favorite resource for beginners interesting in learning about how to use clicker training with their birds is the book by Melinda Johnson: "Getting Started: Clicker Training for Birds". Though a formal read is not necessary to pick up and use clicker training I really enjoyed this book for a couple reasons.

First it explains in detail the premises behind using a clicker (for example why is the clicker considered a bridge?) as well as the science of operant conditioning. It defines the differences between positive and negative reinforcement, as well as positive and negative punishment, and why/when it is appropriate to use which. Second it goes into step-by-step detail how to teach dozens of different tricks/commands. Finally, it describes how to understand bird behavior and read bird body language so that your training/bonding can go as smoothly and stress-free as possible.

Overall I wish you luck with your training! I've found it to be a wonderful way of bonding with hand-tamed birds as well as gaining the trust of more timid ones. :)

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
Have my clicker, have plenty of millet, and just bought the book recommended in this thread. As soon as I'm done with the book I'm going to start!

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
Still reading my new book so have yet to start with the clicker, but Neddie is reliably stepping up with various treats (walnut, nutriberries, millet). Ash, the rescue is still cage bound but she comes to her front perch with the cage door open and chirps to me when I talk to her. The parrotlets also want to be friends which is great, but they can't be cage mates until they are both stepping up without food.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
There's a girl on tumblr Part Of The Flock who post videos and information about how she's clicker trained her parrotlets.
Just thought it might be a worthwhile resource?

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
So today during my millet training session, cage bond Ash decided to come out of her cage on her own to hang out with Neddie. She flew around the room once, and then went in Neddies cage and stayed. Neddie went into Ash's cage. I can tell they really want to be together, but then it's going to be impossible to tame them. I do feel bad though...

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
So Neddie visited Ash tonight, and they were so happy, I let them stay together. It'll be harder for me, but it's better for them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Monkey see, monkey do... it might be easier working with two birds instead of one if one ends up learning from the other. ;)

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
My friend, who is a curator at the Anchorage Zoo and who trains all of the birds there, suggests a whistle is easier than a clicker so your hands are free.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not everyone can whistle! ;) A tongue click could work, too. One could also get a treat pouch to hang on their belt/pants to free up hands. :)