• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy materials

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Are there certain materials to stay away from in making/purchasing bird toys? (The birds are lovebirds if that changes anything).

I have a small hoard of small animals and I'm always buying them toys, often I buy them small bird toys as well since they are often made of the same materials; willow balls, bells, rope/twine, plastic balls, wood blocks, etc. Is it the same for birds as well?

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Only use:
--stainless steel or aluminum metals. Everything else contains zinc and is toxic.
--jute twin, sissle rope, and 100% cotton are safe. No others like poly twine or nylon (if you purchase rope make sure it states 100% cotton as many are mixed with nylon)
--no sharp pieces on any plastic that might be ingested.
--you can use plastic poly beads. But no glue in the dark as they are toxic.
--if you get any wood make sure it isn't treated. Treated/furnished wood is toxic.
--do not use playing cards for toys. Many people make this mistake, the coating on the cards IS toxic.
--newspaper is safe to use. Along with normal white paper.
--make sure you don't make any big or loose hoops as the bird might get its head caught and could die. I know people this has happen to.
--some good toys to add are bpa free baby toys. They are cheap and safe. I got my bird an oball. It's bendable, yet indestructible.
--muffins cups are good shreddable toys!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The same materials you provide your small animals will also be enjoyed by birds.
But birds will also enjoy non-chewable toys as well - like bells, plastic beads or other plastic parts they can slide around. You need to be careful that any rope you use is bird-safe so they can't get their toes/feet tangled.
You'll notice a lot of small bird toys will have shiny metal bells in bright colors - those are usually aluminum bells and safe. Dull silver looking bells can be galvanized (not safe). Most manufacturers don't use stainless steel bells due to the cost but you can always buy one and swap it with an unsafe bell.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Great question! I've been researching toys and see so many with baby toys..I was curious The people weren't worried about things in or on the plastic for these toys... Especially these beads i see. Okay so BPA free plastic toys are safe! What about kid alphabet blocks? I see those abunch but wondered about the paint and wood. I also see paper egg cartons but is there a risk for salmonella? What about baskets? If I go to goodwill and buy a woven basket is that okay? There are all these suggestions to go to the dollar store or craft stores but I'm kinda concerned with what is on all these things!

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
I would be cautious of baskets and such from stores, as most wood products are treated and / or stained. My bird enjoys bpa free plastic baby spoons... They come in a pack of 18, and can be great foot toys, or be hung with other fun things from vegetable tanned leather.