• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is she going into labor?

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
He is my male budgie. I had forgotten how much they chatter. Sometimes its cute and other times it annoys me.

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
it depends really. Castiel isn't really loud or chirpy that much. He is pleasant. He mostly lights up when I am having dinner and we watch something on tv or if I am working on the pc and I let my music play in the background. He won't light up every single time and he only reacts to certain songs. It's honestly the weirdest thing I ever seen. Castiel lights up brighter than a christmas tree when Knockin on heavens door(guns n roses version) is playing or something with Bon Jovi in it. I know budgies can also be so chirpy that you kind of beg them just to shut up.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
He is so cute :) I keep all seven birds in my bedroom and I'm currently home every day. Sometimes I feel it's too much :unsure1:

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
Yes maybe it times when you just want silence. I can't complain with Castiel really. he makes so little noise that I actually urge him to chirp for a change! This morning he woke my fiance up and he was jumping up and down inside of his food bowl until my fiance put in some millet.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Really? I've never seen a parakeet beg for something.
Nala is so afraid of that pvc that she flew at my face and grabbed my eye brow with her nails. I have scratches on my face now :( it hurt. I don't see what she is so afraid of but it's irritating. She keeps trying to be on the breeders cage and she got her toes bit because they are protective of their cage and the parakeets hate her on their cage.
All that time and effort and she won't even attempt to stand on it.

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
wow. That's bad. I haven't experienced a bird scratch before. Well once the other 2 is done with breeding, maybe they will like to be there. Nala is maybe intimidated by the size since it is bigger than her. Have you tried feeding her millet while she sits on it?

To be honest I have never ever seen a bird beg for something either. He had some millet yesterday so I don't get it. Maybe he is a millet junky now. He lets me mist him, but when he has enough he walks away. I honestly don't know what his issue is with not being on my hand. I feel at times I just want to grab him and pet him for 2 hours long and let him see it doesn't hurt, but then I might screw everything I achieved up with him

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I've tried but she just keeps flying off. I'm really debating cutting her wings. I can't have her keep grabbing my face and my head with her sharp nails.
I just grab my parakeets and pet them and it hasn't made one difference as to how they feel about me. I've taken Tramp out and put him on my hand and just talked to him. I've also put them on the pvc and given them millet once they are out. And it hasn't done a single thing to make them more friendly.

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
alright. Fair point. snip the wings. Castiels wings are snipped since the very first day. Don't snip both. Just the one. Google it. You can do it yourself or have the vet show you how. I watched so I can snip safely . It's helped me(I think).

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I've always clipped their wings, especially when taming them. Some I like to have clipped and others are fine with having their flights. My parakeets were clipped very short at the pet store. They could take a year to grow back.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I can't handle her. She's not tame at all so I didn't want her jumping and falling all over the cage and possibly break the egg if there is one.
Youll need to get over this fear. Most parrots breed are not tame and physically checking them is important part of breeding when it necessitates it.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Actually it's very dangerous if a cockatiel has an egg inside her and she breaks the egg. I'm not risking her jumping all over the inside of her cage while I chase her around with my hands. I'm not afraid of being bit, I've been bit many times.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I've tried but she just keeps flying off. I'm really debating cutting her wings. I can't have her keep grabbing my face and my head with her sharp nails.
I just grab my parakeets and pet them and it hasn't made one difference as to how they feel about me. I've taken Tramp out and put him on my hand and just talked to him. I've also put them on the pvc and given them millet once they are out. And it hasn't done a single thing to make them more friendly.
That's your first issue. FORCING a bird by grabbing them isn't going to make them
WANt to be with you.
It's flooding them.
Which is not necessarily advantageous.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I clicked on the Labor Thread hoping for an update but got sidetracked with all the other comments.

I will have to agree that grabbing birds does not help them like you. You may also lose any trust you have gained
& end up teaching them to bite.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope she's produced an egg since the most recent post. Those don't look like normal about to lay an egg droppings to me. When my cockatiels used to lay eggs, they would start out spending the night in the box and in the morning produce gigantic, stinky cow pie droppings from holding it all night. They might have a day or two where they eat less, but they don't produce droppings like the above and usually they eat less on the day or two after they lay the first egg, but the lead up is pretty much life as usual with the exception of spending lots of time in the box. This situation makes me nervous. If its still going on, with the behavior changes, I'd be thinking about a vet check myself.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Checked her profile:

Bird-Mom was last seen:
Wednesday at 6:43 PM

So she hasn't been on for two days!

Hope everything is OK.