• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice about moving to Florida with my Macaw

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
That's a long trip. Florida is nice, though. I lived there a couple of times when I was a kid. The birds will be fine.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am more than interested in any and all travel tips you can give me. If I only had the birds and my two chihuahuas I would stop at a motel, I have a pit bull that does not like the birds and the chi's dont like the pit bull to much so having them all in the same small room is a recipe for disaster. No one gets aggressive, just lots of barking from the two little dogs which goes non stop and drives me nuts. It is so bad at times that my macaw now says Bella! Shut the F up! Yes she got that from me which I dont say often and now not at all. SO imagine a small hotel room with little dogs barking, and birds cursing..I have the car set up to be comfortable for me and the Zoo to sleep. My fiance is with me as well so I am not alone. My plan is to leave around 5am on Saturday and sleep for a few hours at a rest stop. I even bought a car specifically for this trip.
The potty pads are a great idea, the crate I picked up for the Macaw is 24 L x 18 W x 21 H. It can hold a jack Russel or Chihuahua comfortably. I can even stand it up on its side to make it taller for her. I made a perch last night for the crate as well. My only concern is the cage finish. It is a Satin Black Electro-Coat Finish. She has never chewed on her cages before and I will be watching very carefully and I do have a back up plastic crate in case she does try to bite the cage. Another question I have is the meals, I know you said to give dinner and Breakfast but my birds are on a pellet diet and always have food available, so I really dont have a specific meal time for them. Is that wrong?
My birds have food available to them all day but I have found that the birds do not eat all that much while traveling. I would still make pellets available as usual just in case she is a muncher. But I think you'll find that you'll have to offer a breakfast and dinner meal of some sorts when you stop to get her to eat. Example; pellets mixed with crumbled birdie bread and/or nutriberries and chopped nuts. Something yummy and good to pique her interest to get a good meal in her. We would stop accordingly if I felt they needed a travel break to rest or get a nice cold drink of water.

Pre-package her servings of food. I use the snack size baggies. It's much easier to grab a bag of food and quickly fill a bowl. Safer too; so as not to keep the cage door open too long. Have extra bowls that can just slide out and into the coop cup holder that you'll have attached to the crate.

Small bottles of spring water are easier to use than gallon jugs. Offer watery fruits; watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, etc.

Layer the potty pads in the crate, so you can easily slide out a dirty one and a clean one is already in place. Be sure she is pooping. My hen has to be encouraged that it's alright to poop in her carrier.

Have plenty of paper towels and trash bags on board. Have plenty of extra food and dishes. A flashlight, emergency kit (vehicle and health)

After her dinner (before it gets dark) cover her carrier with a sheet or blanket so the headlights of the oncoming traffic don't bother her at night.

You can put plenty of toys in her crate. Be sure to secure them top and bottom so nothing is swinging around. Side mount toys work well for travel cages. You can offer in-shell nuts to keep her busy too.

Sidemount Bird Toys

*** Very important for numerous reasons. Have one person stay with the birds at all times.
*** Do not leave your dogs in the vehicle with the birds without a human present at all times.
*** I'm hoping all the dogs will be crated, but if not, tether loose dogs so they cannot reach the birds cages while you sleep.

I'll post more later.

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
My birds have food available to them all day but I have found that the birds do not eat all that much while traveling. I would still make pellets available as usual just in case she is a muncher. But I think you'll find that you'll have to offer a breakfast and dinner meal of some sorts when you stop to get her to eat. Example; pellets mixed with crumbled birdie bread and/or nutriberries and chopped nuts. Something yummy and good to pique her interest to get a good meal in her. We would stop accordingly if I felt they needed a travel break to rest or get a nice cold drink of water.

Pre-package her servings of food. I use the snack size baggies. It's much easier to grab a bag of food and quickly fill a bowl. Safer too; so as not to keep the cage door open too long. Have extra bowls that can just slide out and into the coop cup holder that you'll have attached to the crate.

Small bottles of spring water are easier to use than gallon jugs. Offer watery fruits; watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, etc.

Layer the potty pads in the crate, so you can easily slide out a dirty one and a clean one is already in place. Be sure she is pooping. My hen has to be encouraged that it's alright to poop in her carrier.

Have plenty of paper towels and trash bags on board. Have plenty of extra food and dishes. A flashlight, emergency kit (vehicle and health)

After her dinner (before it gets dark) cover her carrier with a sheet or blanket so the headlights of the oncoming traffic don't bother her at night.

You can put plenty of toys in her crate. Be sure to secure them top and bottom so nothing is swinging around. Side mount toys work well for travel cages. You can offer in-shell nuts to keep her busy too.

Sidemount Bird Toys

*** Very important for numerous reasons. Have one person stay with the birds at all times.
*** Do not leave your dogs in the vehicle with the birds without a human present at all times.
*** I'm hoping all the dogs will be crated, but if not, tether loose dogs so they cannot reach the birds cages while you sleep.

I'll post more later.
Those are great suggestions. All the animals will be crated. As for someone being with them at all time, that goes without saying. My Macaw is my child and I would not leave my baby alone in the car, ever. I have blankets for the crate at night and lots of wee wee pads. The shell nuts are another great idea and she loves them.I will pick up fruits for her the day before the move. Based on how i know her I think she will need to be encouraged to eat. I take her lots of places with me, especially in the summer and she never eats when she is out. I think that may be a challenge. If it gets real bad I will try to give her a few bites of what ever I am eating. If I am eating it generally she will eat it. She seems to love to take food out of my mouth which appalls most people but I have no problem with it. I am ordering some side mount toys to give her something new and fun to use. I have lots of small bottles of water and plenty of sandwhich bags to make food servings for her. I look forward to more suggestions! They are sooo helpful!
Thanks again!!

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
You will have your hands full. Is it possible to leave the pit in the car, maybe in a crate to keep everyone safe/quieter?

Regarding a perch in the dog cage for your B&G, you want it about an inch or two max from the bottom in the event they fall, it is a shorter distance. Next, with her standing normally on a perch, calculate how far her beak would be from the point the perch is at then add on an inch or two and that figure is the distance you want to put the perch at as it will give her something to easily grab onto when the car is moving/stopping/turning. When she can easily grab onto something to balance with, it will be a less stressful trip for her.

I have found birds don't eat much while actually driving. What you can offer is grapes, don't get ones that are grown in Mexico or South America as they use pesticides that are banned here in the States, they are that bad. Slices of oranges too as they can help with the liquid end of things. You really don't want to be feeding oranges along with pellets as both are high in iron and will cause an iron over load and then need to deal with that but for one 24 hr period things should be fine.
Yes I can leave the Pit in the car as long as its not too cold out. She is a bit of a primadonna. I can't afford to ship the dogs or the birds. I wish, its just to expensive. this move has hit my pocket book hard. I think my Macaw won't eat when we are driving. I can entice her with some fruits and probably a french fry if things get really bad but I think all the suggestions I have been getting and the preparation for this trip she should be fine. I am more concerned with her drinking so the oranges for the day are a good idea, watermelon as well. Thank you so much!

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
I plan on sleeping at a rest stop and I will have my fiance with me as well as my Pit Bull. She is very intimidating looking and people dont know that she will lick them to death before hurting them, lol. I think I should be safe. Thank you for asking though! :)
I have to ask, what is a Fid?

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Feathered Kid

I personally call them my babies or Little Ones, just don't care for that abbreviation

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
I moved to FL 8 years ago, from NJ, had a Tiel and a lovie at the time, and 2 dogs. Most all the hotels, off of 95 will allow pets. I would only tell them you have 2 dogs and 1 bird as they charge a fee for each pet, and only allow so many. I birds are little so when I travel back and forth I don't even tell them I have birds. Believe me you will want to stop over night. It might way 24 or 16 hours, but that is not stopping for food, taking dogs out to potty, going to the bathroom etc. Florida is a long state, depending where you are going. I live 4 hours south of the Florida, Georgia line. I do this trip once a year to go home NJ and visit. Traffic around Washington DC and Baltimore is awful, take your time, take as many rest stops as you need. Best of luck, you will love Florida!
Thank you, I will keep my pet numbers to a minimum when renting a room. I agree with you, I am going to have to get a room. I am hoping to get as far as I can before renting the room. But the three dogs will take some time to walk and feed and I don't want to rush too much. I would rather spend the money on a room and get there safely! Thanks for the advice!

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
I hope you are aware that some US states do not allow Quakers. So keep that in mind when traveling with your Quaker. Another suggestion could be to leave your pit bull with a friend in NY and then have him shipped to you once you are settled in your home. Your shipping any of the animals as an option.
I was aware of the Quaker state rule but have no idea which states allow them. Hopefully there will be no reason for any police officer to look in my car. I will check though so I dont try and get a room in a state that does not allow quakers. Thank you so much!

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
Feathered Kid

I personally call them my babies or Little Ones, just don't care for that abbreviation
Me too, My macaw is my toddler but they are all my babies! My daughter moved out a few weeks ago and some one said I have empty nest syndrome, lmao.. I said there is no way that I have any empty nests in my house!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I have heard if you are found to have a Quaker, they are removed from you and euthanized :(

Lisa L

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Larsen
I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions. It took me 2 1/2 days to get where I needed to go but the dogs and birds were so well behaved it was a pleasure to take the trip. If it werent for all the suggestions about bring certian things I am sure the trip would have been a nightmare. The Macaw actually loved the ride and looked out the car window the whole time during the day trying to get the other drivers on the road's attention. She was so funny. The Quaker and Keet were also very good and quiet. Everyone ate and drank and pooped with no problems! Thanks again! Lisa

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Glad to hear things went smoothly. Sorry it took so long but at least it was not due to having major problems with them.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Glad to hear things went smoothly. Sorry it took so long but at least it was not due to having major problems with them.
I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions. It took me 2 1/2 days to get where I needed to go but the dogs and birds were so well behaved it was a pleasure to take the trip. If it werent for all the suggestions about bring certian things I am sure the trip would have been a nightmare. The Macaw actually loved the ride and looked out the car window the whole time during the day trying to get the other drivers on the road's attention. She was so funny. The Quaker and Keet were also very good and quiet. Everyone ate and drank and pooped with no problems! Thanks again! Lisa

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a journey but glad all of you arrived safely. I would like to have seen the expressions on peoples faces when they saw the macaw, all I can think of is Bewitched and Mrs Kravits looking thru the curtains and hollering, Abner, Abner.... :smileflower:

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I am so glad you and your babies all made it safe and well !