• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cages with multiple doors?

ESR

Meeting neighbors
Our current cage has 6 doors; the whole front panel of the cage is a door-it is a plastic panel as opposed to bars, me no likee :p-one side has three small feeder hatches and the other side has two. I LOVE the multiple small doors, as it makes it easier to put things into the cage or take them out during those times when I need birdy to stay inside. Is there another, reputable brand of cage that has multiple doors? I am looking at an A&E flight cage on eBay, and it is described as having one big door and one "breeder" door; I've read that A&E's are great cages and this one seems to be a great price, so it's very tempting to just accept the lack of multiple doors and snap it up.

Just realized this is probably in the wrong place. Admins, feel free to move it if necessary!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
birdcagesforless.com has some nice cages with multiple doors.

Funny story about a multiple door cage- Kiwi became a "cage free" bird when we got him a new cage with a breeder door (first time we got one with a breeder door). He figured out how to remove the entire door and fling it to the ground by day 2 in the new cage and has not been caged (except when covered at night) since. Of course, he was already out most of the day anyways by that point and on his way to being cage free anyways, but once they figure out how to remove the door, you best hope they're a good candidate for being a free roaming bird or else good luck containing them ever again:p

ESR

Meeting neighbors
@Kiwibird08-As much as I would love it, we are definitely not cage-free candidates, as I have cats. The squirt bottle kept them well away from Sky's cage, but somehow, I don't think free-range birdy+free-range kitties would equal anything other than snack time. 80/ So, no breeder door-glad I posted here, I had NO idea!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
@Kiwibird08-As much as I would love it, we are definitely not cage-free candidates, as I have cats. The squirt bottle kept them well away from Sky's cage, but somehow, I don't think free-range birdy+free-range kitties would equal anything other than snack time. 80/ So, no breeder door-glad I posted here, I had NO idea!
If you find a cage you and your birds love with a less than secure door, it's nothing stainless chain and a padlock can't fix;)

I grew up with 2 free roaming amazons (and a cockatoo who was so naughty he had in the neighborhood of 10 padlocks to keep him in his cage and couldn't be out unless closely supervised:cautious:). Had there been any good reason to keep Kiwi locked up anymore when he figured out how to take the door off, I would have padlocked the breeder door shut, but we have no other pets that would bother him and Kiwi was training to be free range anyways. Just happened sooner than later (he let me know what he thought of being caged:blink:).

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@ESR What section would you like this thread moved to?

Matt

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The regular, inexpensive wrought iron flight cages don't have feeder doors. The HQ has 2 medium sized doors and the AE has one slightly larger door. I think they both make a 'fancier' version which has an arched top and 2 feeder doors and costs considerably more.
The Prevue flight cages are inexpensive and have feeder doors but they are the guillotine type doors that some birds learn to open and can potentially get stuck in, if you don't add extra locks or clips. Cats might also figure out how to slide them open.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome.

Matt