• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Supplemental vitamins can make watery droppings.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is it normal for the mate to not eat too when a female is laying? I'm not a breeder. I don't know. If the male is doing it too though, that doesn't seem like it would be egg related. It sounds more like illness

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
No the only thing I can think is that they are both spending almost all day in the nest box instead of eating. She's been drinking water, but that's it. I hope it's not an illness they have had contact with all my birds.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
They won't go poop in their nest box but should go once they come out.
Not sure how long it's been since they pooped but that is a concern.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel1:How long have you had them? You say they were used as breeders. Were they in an aviary with a lot of bird pairs of in a separate cage in someones home?

If they both don't poop something may be wrong. I don't see a reason for a male mate not to eat or poop.
I'm not a breeder though so don't really know.
Maybe he is pooping in the nest & you can't see it? Usually they don't poop in the nest but anything is possible.

Have you seen him eat? How is he acting? Keep them both warm is my only advise & if they don't get better they need a vet. If you can't get them vet care you might consider to try to place them in a shelter willing to take them & get them the vet care they need. I hope they are not sick & if its an egg I hope she lays it soon. I'm trying to give the best advise I can. I know you can't afford vet care but its not fair to them to gamble with there lives.

Have you tried calling a local cockatiel breeder or a vet or the birds former owners for advise?

Seems they have had close interaction with your other birds so separating them at this point may not help but might be wise but you should try to keep them warm..

Don't know what to tell you about calcium supps. There are some that are better than others. Don't know the details.

I wish your birds well.

:angel1::angel2::angel3::angel6:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Anyone? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I just read you lost your previous 6 birds all at the same time to some unknown illness.
Did you ever find out what caused it? It is possible that the disease could affect your new flock.

Last edited:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
It was years ago, about 10 years ago. So I didn't have any of these birds then. They seem fine today. Playing with toys. She was wetting her chest feathers so I hope that she has an egg soon if she is carrying one.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems @camelotshadow is implying that you can't afford vet care? I think it's very irresponsible to be breeding birds when you can't give them the necessary vet care. I would recommend relinquishing them to someone who can.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And I also think it's unfortunate that you have been experimenting with supplemental calcium/vitamins without the advice of a vet. You need them to prescribe proper dosages and such, as it's really easy to overdose your birds to a toxic level.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems @camelotshadow is implying that you can't afford vet care? I think it's very irresponsible to be breeding birds when you can't give them the necessary vet care. I would recommend relinquishing them to someone who can.

It was stated in the first post that vet care is not an option because of money.

She's been having very watery poops. She looks to be having contracts and she is dilated. She's standing on her perch like this sort of rocking back and forth.
Is this normal behaviour for a bird whose going to lay an egg?
I get a bad feeling about this.. I need to know some at home things that may help her. Please don't say a vet, somethings have happen lately which I do not have the money. This early stages I need to know some things to do to help her. I sprayed warm water and vegetable oil on her vent and put her in a steamy room.

Last edited:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
This forum is about getting advice. If you only want to be rude and disrespectful then you do not belong on a forum that is supposed to be helpful to people.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Avian Avenue is a great place for advise, but we aren't vets. Big difference.
You have been getting lots of help from the posters here, advise on care, vitamins, some speculating and urged to go to a vet. Some advise you don't want to hear, but it is all the same.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I gave advice, and it is to find someone who can take them to the vet. Or scrounge up every penny you got, borrow, or apply for care credit. Talk to your vet, see if you could set up payments. We are not vets and even if we are, we can't diagnose over the internet. It is irritating that the honest truth is often confused with "being rude and disrespectful," but it is what it is. I think the lives of the birds are more valuable than a few bruised egos here and there.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have tried to help. I think you have been getting advise to the best of our ability. Unfortunately sometimes birds need vet care. & if there is any doubt it is best to err on the side of caution.
Time is of the essence in bird care as usually they are very sick before you start to see visible symptoms.
It is unfortunate you have not factored vet care into bird ownership. Really, I understand your plight but I think most on this forum would agree that part of responsible bird ownership is to be able to provide medical care to a bird in need. This forum is very helpful but is not to be used in place of proper medical attention.
I don't think any of us would like to see birds suffer or possibly die because they were denied proper medical care.

Please keep us updated & I genuinely hope they are OK.

Last edited:

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Someone who has been a valued forum member for years and years "belongs" to a place much more then someone who just showed up a week ago.

And @JosienBB is 100% right. Providing veterinary care to our animals when they are sick is part of what being a responsible pet owner entails. I understand financial difficulties. But if you can't afford to provide care for the animals you already have it's irresponsible and selfish to make even more animals you can't provide for. Just because it's not the answer you want to hear, doesn't make it any less true and doesn't make her rude or disrespectful

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
It was years ago, about 10 years ago. So I didn't have any of these birds then. They seem fine today. Playing with toys. She was wetting her chest feathers so I hope that she has an egg soon if she is carrying one.
I am confused. You said they weren't eating or pooping and now you said "they seem fine today". So did they finally eat and poop? If not, they aren't fine.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
If you had sick birds 10 years ago and now you have what appear to be an ill pair ( would be difficult for male to be egg bound )... Are you maybe using Teflon pans? Candles? Air freshners? Toxic chemicals?