• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone?

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Does anybody live with their birds? Meaning in the same room like converting your bedroom into a bird room.Well I wanna move the Cockatiels back to my bedroom but don't want them to live in a cage but instead live in a bird room but keep a cage that they can go in to eat and maybe put some foraging toys in the cage.Theres one problem though does the floor get messy easily? The floor is wood so poop and seed can easily be cleaned up but would there be a lot.My bedroom is completely bird proof and wires can be taken out of the room or stored when im not in the room.Also why do people get screen doors?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't live with my bird per se but he stays in the living room cage free all day. We have pockets doors which we can shut when we're not home. I put towels down on the areas he hangs out the most in and newspaper under where he usually eats.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I think they get screen doors so that there is a way to close off the room, but still be able to see out (through) the door.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Yes I do! I have my 5 cockatiels and 2 parakeets all lined up in my bedroom. I've always kept them in there. It takes up a lot of space but it's much easier to keep an eye on them and spend time with them.
Just be prepared to have to clean your blankets often.
I keep a vinyl mattress cover underneath my birds cage so when they are out and lean over the side it lands on that instead. Their droppings just vacume right off. It also prevents the seeds from bouncing to keep them more contained.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I don't have a bird room but I believe the screen doors are for a few reasons, air flow, safety so bird does not fly out of room and out into area where there could be an open door to outside, keep other pets in household out of room. :)

alicat

Real Name
Ali
do your cockatiels get night frights? that's the only thing I'd be worried about with a bird room!
I'm sure they'll love it though and I think with wood floors cleanup wouldn't be so bad.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine has her cage in the living room and stays cage free all day, except for dinner, and stays on her playstand too.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Mochi lives in my room. He's also just allowed to hang about wherever even while I'm not home.
We have toys hanging from the window and ceilings. He seems to like the arrangement. Although I do have a problem with him thinking my bed is his, but thats all good and fun. He does make a mess, but that's mainly because he eats outside his cage and etc. He only really sleeps in his cage, and that's always a fight to get him in. He would much rather sleep in my bed, which wouldn't be safe.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Well, I used to allow my birds to be free fly in my room. Untill one day I took a shower and when I came out my dog had gotten to one of my doves. I understand her confusion. She wouldn't have ever hurt my pet birds, but seeing the dove on the ground just confused her with the outside birds. At that time I had 3 cockatiels, 3 parakeets, 3 doves. They all got an illness and died at the same time :( I didn't even know something was wrong. Anyways, I had a cage set up that the parakeets and cockatiels shared when they wanted to go in the cage. The doves had their own.

Now, I have cages for night time. My 3 cockatiels, my breeders have one, and my parakeets have one. I made a pvc play gym for them. Maybe you can make a large pvc play gym with perches, swings, and toys!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just a word of caution. As you may already know birds need a good quality 12 hr. sleep at night. If you are active in your bedroom at night then they would not be getting that quality sleep. I am just the opposite of you. My birds are in the living room until I cover them at 7:30 pm. Then I retreat to the bedroom and continue evening activities there so I do not disturb their sleep.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I would say yes, they live with me. They are on their kitchen perch when I cook, dining perch when we eat, living room perch when hanging out, on the shower perch when showering, they have a sleep basket, enclosed, on my bed, so they do sleep with me. Answer, yes, I live with my birds. They can chose where they want to go and it's typically where I am.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sad4:
Well, I used to allow my birds to be free fly in my room. Untill one day I took a shower and when I came out my dog had gotten to one of my doves. I understand her confusion. She wouldn't have ever hurt my pet birds, but seeing the dove on the ground just confused her with the outside birds. At that time I had 3 cockatiels, 3 parakeets, 3 doves. They all got an illness and died at the same time :( I didn't even know something was wrong. Anyways, I had a cage set up that the parakeets and cockatiels shared when they wanted to go in the cage. The doves had their own.

Now, I have cages for night time. My 3 cockatiels, my breeders have one, and my parakeets have one. I made a pvc play gym for them. Maybe you can make a large pvc play gym with perches, swings, and toys!

:sad8::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sad5:

Please Help!! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

How are your breeders doing? I am very saddened to hear you have lost 9 birds.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Well, the doves didn't die from the diease. I rehomed them. But the 6 did :(
The breeders haven't really done much today. They have been in the nest box all day. She comes out for water then goes back in. I haven't seen them eat.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, the doves didn't die from the diease. I rehomed them. But the 6 did :(
The breeders haven't really done much today. They have been in the nest box all day. She comes out for water then goes back in. I haven't seen them eat.

Sorry but even 6 birds dying at the same time not counting the Dove that the dog got is a lot of loss!

I really hope your breeders are OK.
:sad1:

Last edited:

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Just a word of caution. As you may already know birds need a good quality 12 hr. sleep at night. If you are active in your bedroom at night then they would not be getting that quality sleep. I am just the opposite of you. My birds are in the living room until I cover them at 7:30 pm. Then I retreat to the bedroom and continue evening activities there so I do not disturb their sleep.
I turn the light off at night so they get their sleep

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
do your cockatiels get night frights? that's the only thing I'd be worried about with a bird room!
I'm sure they'll love it though and I think with wood floors cleanup wouldn't be so bad.
Yes they do but rarely they have only gotten them because of the mice.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mice? Pet mice or intruders? A mouse in the cage could possibly cause injury to your birds.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Yes I thought u would have known I made a thread about it I think.There are new houses being built in the area and everybody has a mouse infestation and the toilets and sinks were not functioning properly causing water to go everywhere outside but its fixed now.We caught a lot of mice and brought them somewhere far.And I would never have a pet mouse lol I cant stand the tails also im not really into rodents although Guinea pigs are exceptional and I have owned hamsters but rodents and birds are not a good mix I got rid of my hamster last year because it was keeping the birds awake at night you know going on the wheel.