• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training with Rio

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
Hi all! Rio is fully flighted, and he is a top notch flyer. He will occasionally fly to me for some attention, but just generally makes laps around the living and dining rooms for fun and exercise. Anyway, I've been working with him lately on coming to me when beckoned. He has the hang of going to perch from my hand on command, and he will come to me if I'm within his foot's reach. But, he will NOT hop or fly to me (even for his favorite treat). We do the drill a few times, then I move a few inches farther away, and he will climb all over the place trying to figure out a way to get over to my hand. It doesn't seem to click that he can just hop over! He then gets frustrated and we have to end the session. Any ideas?

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Rocko was like that at first was just going everywhere looking for a way to get to my hand and I gave up lol then I started recall training again and I held millet in my hand and just called him and he came.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Perhaps the allure of an almond just isn't enough!?!

Does he like almond? Use whatever is there favorite. Millet works for budgies & cockatiels & many birds but every bird has there favorite thing & some birds are not motivated very much by food. They might fly to you just because they like you & want to be with you.

Good luck on finding what motivates your bird. Spend time with him & give him treats. Soon he may be following you around.

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
He will do just about anything for a little piece of almond. The only thing he might like better is popcorn...as long as it's nice and greasy and salty (he is, after all, an Amazon). I just hate to give him junk food! I'll try some other treats tomorrow evening and let you know how it goes.

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Some things to think about:

Does your hand stay nice and still when he lands on it? If it is unstable he might not be game to jump to it.

Is your hand at a suitable distance and height for him to jump or fly comfortably? One of my birds prefers to recall to me when I am a few feet away as opposed to jumping a short distance as he is not very good at hopping lol

Target training can be very helpful. You can use targeting from perch to perch to build confidence and then start targeting to your hand when he is going really well between the perches. Let me know if you want more info on targeting, or maybe someone else will provide a more comprehensive explaination :)

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
Thanks! I am interested to hear more about targeting. He has no trouble landing on my hand when he chooses to fly to me from across the room. During our training exercises, I've been holding my hand about level with his feet and I am as still as possible. Maybe I should try holding my hand a bit higher, and try moving a little farther away so he actually has room to get airborne? I'll experiment with that...

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Here is quite a good explanation of how to start target training. I think the lady who made it was a member of this forum

Once Rio is walking/climbing to the target reliably you can start targeting him to jump and fly to other perches. Also practice targeting him to climb onto your hand/arm before you try to get him to fly to it.

Hopefully it will help... my girl just picked up recall as an extension to stepping up so I didn't really have to teach her anything except the cue...

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
HE DID IT! The greasy popcorn was the ticket! After he flew to me the first time, it was like he had been doing it forever. I've even got him flying back to "perch" now. I'll try to get a video...

:dance1::DancingChilli::dance3:

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
Well, I can't get the video to load. :bash:

Now he is flying to me every time I walk through the room. Lol!

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I'm so glad to hear he understands what you mean now :) teach him to target anyway because it is useful and fun :) I actually didn't place any value on target training until I realised that I had unconsciously taught our first bird to target and it was the basis of half the tricks we did... ;)
video's need to be uploaded on another host site I think.

JTRay

Strolling the yard
Real Name
John
Here's the latest. Rio has become an expert at flying to me anywhere in the house. In fact, he has now discovered that if my arm is not available, he can just land on my head!!! He uses my bald spot like a helipad! Ha! :laughin:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I make popcorn for my birds in a pan (bird safe obviously) with just a little coconut oil - they love it.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
That's great! You could draw a little X on it for him to land on ;)
Sapphire likes heads too. She is good on my head, she just aims for the hair tye, but on my boyfriend she tends to skid on his hair product and ends up dangling over his forehead more often than not ;) She may do this on purpose as she mostly lands on him if he is eating, it could be a strategy to get closer to the food!