• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Did i rescue the perfect Amazon??

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you can also put your arm against your body in a "L" shape to keep him from climbing up your arm to sit on your shoulder.

MC has been eyeballing my shoulder lately...

When Wasabi is on my glove and not trying to amputate my hand, I have a brief dream of one day him calmly sitting on my shoulder. :xflove:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

When Wasabi is on my glove and not trying to amputate my hand, I have a brief dream of one day him calmly sitting on my shoulder. :xflove:
Yeah. I pulled a towel over to catch pumpkin seeds (after the birds crunch them). Secret was already on my bluejeans when that happened.... and Secret tried to kill the towel (while it was on my leg).

Had to pick the bird up with the tperch, explain not trying to hurt her, pull towel over leg and sit her on the towel. 2 short bites of towel later, it was allowed to live.

Life with my mini-wasabi.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
so, a little history for those who dont know yet..

Earlier summer i got myself a little Senegal after "the old one" went back to his former parront, he dearly missed her and she dearly missed him so heh. I got myself a lovely youngster, Kaya, the love of my life! After a while i got her a mate, and they make a perfect couple together! But that quickly turned me into "the parrot guy" which let me to something odd last week!

I was given an Amazon, complete with box and.. Well thats it! The poor thing belonged to a drugsdealer, been on a seed diet only, didnt know anything about fruit and vegetables, and wasnt half as tame as they hoped he'd be.

When he came to me i gave him some seed that i scrambled up from here and there, and left him alone the next two days! Then came Sunday. Since the stench of weed gave me migraines, i decided to put him with cage and all in the shower! And while he wasnt used to it, he just went through it all rather calmly (maybe hes still high?) he will climb up the cage and do his thing, making soft noises and wistle when im out of reach (and i happily wistle back!) and he allows me very close to him, sometimes i can scritch his head, other times he prefers only verbal contact! I also switched him to pellets and vegetables!

All goes rather zmoothly, he eats his pellets, tries some vegetables and even enjoys apple and oranges!

Which makes me wonder, did i rehome the perfect amazon, or is he ill? A vet check is scheduled later this week, i first want to give him some much needed rest! He seems a bit fatty, but that could be due to his diet, otherwise he acts normal, active and seems to have a clear mind (which is more then i can say for myself.. The weedstench still makes me high!)

I have done reading ofcourse, went to talk to a local Amazon breeder, and the general impression i got down here is that Amazons are t the best parrots for newbies like myself! Still.. If this is "the worst" then how do all these stories go round??

I will attach two pictures of Luka, i decided to change his name.. Leave the past behind!

You lucked out, but wonderful for you!!!

As the Adoption Coordinator for a shelter, never in a million years would I put amazons on the list as a great first bird... granted, if you were to come to the rescue and an amazon picked you as his person, different story, but generally speaking in giving advice, amazons are kinda like learning to drive in a Formula 1 car... not that they are all bad birds, but generally speaking, all the stories are generally true. In all the amazons I've met being involved with AHW, and we probably have about 30 amazons between adoptable and sanctuary (and often sanctuary because they are too dangerous to place in a home). In additional, we've placed maybe 6 Amazons in the last few years, out of nearly 50 amazons I've been in contact from spectacled to the lots and lots of the hot 3, there have been THREE, yes 1, 2 THREE that I would consider friendly and social birds that were safe to place in homes with kids and families. My daughter adopted one of the few, so if you look up posts by riddick07 here, you will see some posts about her Kelly and while he seems awesome and some great pics of him being a lovebug and snuggling with her, he is downright vicious and literally stalks the rest of us. He has made one flying attack, but thankfully he's not a great flyer, so I was able to deflect him easily with a towel.

So, yep you are lucky... tho they can be dangerous and hormonal, when they pick and bond to their person, they are incredibly loyal and devoted to their person. Kelly will even literally physically protect Victoria. She had him at the shelter and was helping with grooming other birds and another amazon grabbed Tor and Kelly actually went after the bird to defend Victoria.... so having an amazon love you is not a bad thing!!! I joke that if she gets a job working in the city, she has to carry Kelly in her purse everyday, he's better protection then a gun :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes i dont want him on my shoulder just yet, but he does climb up.. It seems hes used fo that?

Regardig the face.. Yeah i wont allow him near, hes not as small as my Senny hehehehe and indeed ive been owned! bUT im starting to likt it :)

Harrisons it is then.. I was supposed to have a vet apointment today, not just for his eyes but for a complete checkup! But surgery came in between, i suppose i'd pick that over a checkup as well! Monday we'll know more!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan

You lucked out, but wonderful for you!!!

As the Adoption Coordinator for a shelter, never in a million years would I put amazons on the list as a great first bird... granted, if you were to come to the rescue and an amazon picked you as his person, different story, but generally speaking in giving advice, amazons are kinda like learning to drive in a Formula 1 car... not that they are all bad birds, but generally speaking, all the stories are generally true. In all the amazons I've met being involved with AHW, and we probably have about 30 amazons between adoptable and sanctuary (and often sanctuary because they are too dangerous to place in a home). In additional, we've placed maybe 6 Amazons in the last few years, out of nearly 50 amazons I've been in contact from spectacled to the lots and lots of the hot 3, there have been THREE, yes 1, 2 THREE that I would consider friendly and social birds that were safe to place in homes with kids and families. My daughter adopted one of the few, so if you look up posts by riddick07 here, you will see some posts about her Kelly and while he seems awesome and some great pics of him being a lovebug and snuggling with her, he is downright vicious and literally stalks the rest of us. He has made one flying attack, but thankfully he's not a great flyer, so I was able to deflect him easily with a towel.

So, yep you are lucky... tho they can be dangerous and hormonal, when they pick and bond to their person, they are incredibly loyal and devoted to their person. Kelly will even literally physically protect Victoria. She had him at the shelter and was helping with grooming other birds and another amazon grabbed Tor and Kelly actually went after the bird to defend Victoria.... so having an amazon love you is not a bad thing!!! I joke that if she gets a job working in the city, she has to carry Kelly in her purse everyday, he's better protection then a gun :)

Well i did consider a Grey somewhere next year, but Alas! We cant always choose our own paths! Life just doesnt aork that way :) ive read about other parrots the past few months ago, so ive also read the 'zon storys, and i wanted to rehome him in time.. But heh, that little piece of my heart that wasnt stolen by my lady Kaya, noe surely is stolen by Luka!!

We'll see hoe it goes, im just doung things one day at a time /)

SmokeyJoe69

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Phil
Great to have another OWA on here. He is beautiful, In perfect feather also.I was told by our vet that its hard to keep an Orange winged in good feather. We just give Zoey regular baths and feed her well. Here is a picture of our Zozeyzon. She also came to us from bad conditions, She was in a parakeet cage for 10 years and fed a crappy diet with no fruits and veggies. We have had her for 2 years now and she is a great bird, She is loud at times but her grunts,purrs,chortles,growls and pings make up for it.

Attachments

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Thanks for rescuing this beautiful boy! He is probably in shock from the change of environment and still unsure why you are being so nice to him. Keep working at his pace, and he will come around. Amazons are strong willed birds and typically bounce back pretty quickly when shown love and respect. Do be aware, many amazons do tend to be a bit more "hands off" birds in regards to petting/cuddling, but that doesn't mean they aren't still very friendly and very social:)

OWA's are known for typically being very nice birds, as are most of the smaller zons. Amazons little 'reputation' comes from a certain notorious 3 species :bored: who's hormones seem to be worse than other amazon species, though 99.9% of the bad reputation they bring is on the HUMAN because of poor training, socialization and lack of understanding about parrot puberty, NOT because ANY species of amazon is an inherently "bad" bird. While I wouldn't necessarily consider them the "ideal" first bird, many many parrot lovers first bird has been an amazon and they have a strong following or humans who adore them for a reason!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thank you @SmokeyJoe69 for the comparison picture! Luka seems to be a bit flatter in colour, there's also this later of "dust" over him.. Its not actuslly dust since i cant shower it off, i suppose with a new diet he wil come to his full shine and color :)

As for alk the advise, i am so gratefull you all care to help! It strengthens me in my quest! Luka's been with me little over a week now, and since yesterday he also steps up! The only problem is.. He doesnt know a step down command.. Once he's on my shoulder, he's very content making soft sounds and whistles :) I think he was in a "good" home with regards to his social life, he doesnt seem scared or abused, he just seems a bit neglected! Hes in my livingroom, and i only heard him scream this morning after i went into the kitchen for a drink and then went to bed! He seems to think he's getting all the attention, well thibk again!! Daddy's gotta have his beautysleep mister!! :)

All in al, im not unhappy, though a bit insecure still! I think its Luka who needs to slow down! He tried to give me kisses, making the same sounds, but obviously i wouldnt have any of that! That beak is just.. TOO HUGE still!

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Okay, have to ask, how do you travel via air and what kind of carrier?

Clueless, I found an airline approved carrier online. I did get the soft sided one, because it looked a little roomier. It has worked fine for years, but on my last flight to visit my mother, on the way back, Principessa came climbing up my leg from under the seat. She had managed to slip her beak up through the flap and turn the latch. Luckily the attendants did not see, but she was yelling, "Help, help!" as I stuffed her back in and covered her with my scarf.

It costs an extra hundred on all the airlines I have flown, but companion animals fly free if you show the certification. We do not have that, but I count it as a bargain because I do have my best friend safe with me. The pionus and senegal do well with family and friends caring for them.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Lincee my wild caught blue front zon's were stuck in cages for years and not handled. I bought a T perch from a store in town.

I sit with each one in the floor at night. I used a T perch and ask them to step up, give them half a pumpkin seed and then I ask them to step down, give half a pumpkin seed.

I always, ALWAYS, give half a pumpkin seed when putting them back in their cage. I have no issues with returning them.

MC can now step on my hand when we're in the floor. He was totally afraid of hands when I got him. You can't make a fist though.....the hand must be open.

Secret just stands on my leg and gets the seeds now. I can ask the bird to turn and reward that. We had issues during hormones and I'm still scared to trust her. My bad, not the birds.

You must train them to step down as well as step up.

JosephNAsenath

Hit the Road
Real Name
Kristin
Glad you saved him! Good choice. :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well i definatly will be training him to step up and off, but for now inhave more urgent issues! He does, indeed have an eye infection, its beeing threated but he doesnt like it much :(

On top of that he refuses to eat his pellets, back on seeds for now! One step forward, three steps back! But we take it slow :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well i definatly will be training him to step up and off, but for now inhave more urgent issues! He does, indeed have an eye infection, its beeing threated but he doesnt like it much :(

On top of that he refuses to eat his pellets, back on seeds for now! One step forward, three steps back! But we take it slow :)

Someone did mention the eye. Good you had it checked. Hope he takes his meds OK.
Too bad about the pellets but take it slow. Sometimes we need to take care of priorities.

:sadhug2:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
All in good time! Baby steps... Good luck with treatment and keep us posted.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
UPDATES!

The past couple of days has been real fun :)

Luka enjoys sitting on my shoulder, as soon as hes out of the cage (which is as soon as im home) he happily (and yes, freely) hops on my shoulder, sometimes he misses leaving my shirt with gaps.. But alas!

A few days ago i fell asleep om the cough, and he gently pressed his beak on my cheek, which obviously means he wants scritches! He's also starting to make sounds :) he wistles when im out of vision, but he also makes these cute "tok-tok" sounds like a chicken.. I'm not sure what it means but he does this when hes on my shoulder, preening himself so i suppose its all good and peace!

He's still terribly afraid of anything, though yesterday he did venture out so long as i was close enoufh to run to.. So i hope this will improve :)

Same goes for food and toys! The only way i can get him to eat pellets is when i feed him nothing else :( so i have pellets in his bowl, and he gets vegetables and fruit twice a day! I've gotten rid of all the sunflowers though.. No good comes from that sh....

All in all i'm very pleased! Not only with his progression, but certainly with mine! I allow him to "kiss" me, and i can actually touch his beak :)

I suppose i found another friend in life :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
At some point with a rescue, there comes at least one leap of faith. You made yours! :congrats5:
Just remember that there might be steps back. Hopefully, that won't be the case here. Continue to encourage exploration and reward him when he's brave. That should go a long way towards averting some potential hiccups. I'm so happy that things are going well for you both! :) :bounce7: