• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timnehs and Parakeets

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
I've been planning on getting a Timneh for a long time(2 years XD), and I'm finally getting one this summer. However(as I'm in school, and my parents work), I'm worried about them spending 6-7 hours alone in their cage. While the cage is big, and will have a lot of stuff to keep them busy, I was wondering if a parakeet could keep them company. Would the parakeet and grey get along, if introduced well? Would having each other help prevent them from being bored?
And for introducing, is it better to bring them home at(roughly) the same time, bring the grey home first and wait until it settles in, or bring the parakeet home first and wait until it settles in?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Timnehs are very intelligent birds as you know. They need lots of stimulation and attention from the bird person in their life. I really do not think the addition of a parakeet would fill that need.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
What kind of parakeet because a grey is not gonna be friends with a budgie lol.Tiko never gets bored when she is alone in the morning when everyone is in bed she talks to herself and plays.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I've been planning on getting a Timneh for a long time(2 years XD), and I'm finally getting one this summer. However(as I'm in school, and my parents work), I'm worried about them spending 6-7 hours alone in their cage. While the cage is big, and will have a lot of stuff to keep them busy, I was wondering if a parakeet could keep them company. Would the parakeet and grey get along, if introduced well? Would having each other help prevent them from being bored?
And for introducing, is it better to bring them home at(roughly) the same time, bring the grey home first and wait until it settles in, or bring the parakeet home first and wait until it settles in?
First off, I always caution AGAINST people getting additional birds as companions for their existing birds simply because there is never a guarantee that they will like each other, let alone that they won't actively try to hurt each other (especially when the birds are different species, as your best chances of success are getting two birds of the same species that grew up together). As someone with half a dozen birds, acquired one at a time over the course of several years, I can say that the odds two strange birds will co-habitate peacefully a decent. But the chances that they will be "best friends" and take away some of the responsibility of socialization from you are slimmer. So you should only ever get another bird for YOU, if your lifestyle can handle the added responsibility.

Right now my aracari completely ignores my new BH Pionus, but does lunge to attack her if she ventures on top of his cage. Luckily him and my parrotlet are decent buds and will chill next to each other without problems. Unfortunately, none of my birds are "bonded" enough to give me a break when it comes to socialization. Because of this, I still need to allocate one-on-one time with each bird each day. In your case this would be counterproductive, since you are already worried about not providing your grey with enough attention.

Finally, in general it's not a good idea to mix birds with such a big size difference. The head of a budgie could literally fit inside of the beak of a grey. My parrotlet has managed to nip the toes of my budgie Erwin hard enough to make them bleed. And remember these birds are nearly the same size! Even if your grey is just "playing", once well-placed bite could easily maim or kill a tiny budgie. Personally, I would never take the risk.

Remember, most birds (even big smart ones like greys) will do fine being alone for 6-7 hours a day if they are raised on a consistent schedule and given plenty of things to keep them occupied (just think of how many bird-owning working adults there are out there). The key is making sure you do not coddle a bird too much in the beginning, so that it develops an unrealistic expectation of how much time it will spend with you each day. For example, pretend you bring home your new baby over summer break and spend 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, cuddling, holding, or playing with it. It's definitely not hard to do with an adorable, lovable baby! You do this for a month, but then school starts again and suddenly he is locked up alone for half of the day. Of course this would make him anxious and unhappy! Not only has he not learned how to play independently or how to entertain himself, but he is suddenly feeling "abandoned" by his flock. Instead, set yourself up for success and get everyone on a predictable schedule. Encourage your bird to play with toys, forage for their foods, and be okay on their own. Then make sure that when you ARE home in the morning and evenings you are letting them hang out with you as much as possible.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've always thought that Timnehs come in two types...the terrorists and the ultra sweet ones. My first bird as an adult was my male Timneh Tuchis. I met him for the first time when he was four weeks old and brought him home from the breeder when he was four months old. He is now 13 and he is a handful. Over the years, I have brought home a lot of other birds but I have always stayed right around the same general size. Tuchis is big for a Timmy weighing in at about 370 grams and fully flighted for most of his adult life. He grew up with a Ducorps' Cockatoo, Reggie Lou, whom he sparred with often and a two Solomon Island Eclectus brothers that he kind of had a love/hate relationship with. Then I added an older male CAG to the mix who came in at 540 grams or thereabouts. He and Clancy pretty much sparred a lot too. From there, I added Kishka RB2 as a baby and Kishka loved everyone and wanted to be friends with everyone...Tuchis wasn't interested and they beaked a lot but Kishka didn't put up with it and fought as good as Tuchis did...somewhere along the line, they became friends and now, nearly five years later, they are pretty good friends and when I let them out together, they tend to cause trouble together. Birds I've added since, mostly female Amazons who are bigger than Tuchis, haven't fared as well against him. He loves to torment them and they don't tend to like to stick up for themselves. I love him dearly and I think he would be lost without his flock even though he's crabby about having them around, but he's definitely a little terror and he doesn't care how hurt he gets in the process getting bit a lot and losing two toenails over the years because he can be a huge bully!

I think birds of any kind do enjoy the company of any other bird, no matter how small or big. I think your better bet if you want two birds to actually get along is to get birds of a comparable size. It doesn't really matter when you get them when hoping they will like each other because it's generally a crap shoot unless they were raised together as babies and even then it may not always work out. Even same species pairs don't always work out. But, even if they don't get along, I can assure you that they do like the birdie companionship from the cage. My birds are constantly chattering to each other from their cages even though they don't necessarily play together. The nice thing about same general sizes is that I can let them out at the same time and not have to worry too much...except for Tuchis...him I have to watch for obvious reasons...little monster!:xflove:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You didn't mean you were planning to keep them in the same cage, did you? :eek: That would definitely be a huge no-no. Sorry if I misread your post.

No telling if they would be company or not. My Timnehs don't really care for the other 2 birds. They don't actively dislike Tiki as she minds her own business but they don't talk to her, other than imitating her squeak. Itsy, nobody likes but that's because she is jealous and can be mean and attacks the others. Darwin does imitate her whistle/shriek. But Darwin quickly picked up Quack's name and the cats (no longer) names but never says Itsy or Tiki. I think they even wonder if Tiki is even a bird as she has no tail or flights, can't fly and makes strange non-African noises. She doesn't even have a whistle. So hard to say if they would find a parakeet amusing or annoying. Different beak sizes can be a danger to the smaller one if left unsupervised even temporarily.

There is no sure fire way of introducing 2 birds. I've had Quack the longest so you'd think she would have "rights" but Darwin walks all over her, invading her space, starting fights on her play stand, etc. It all depends on their individual personalities.

noice

Real Name
Anna
Just don't keep them in the same cage. A timneh could snap a budgie in half so closely supervise them if they happen to be out together.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
You didn't mean you were planning to keep them in the same cage, did you? :eek: That would definitely be a huge no-no. Sorry if I misread your post.
:O
Poor budgie! I would keep them separate, most certainly!
I But, even if they don't get along, I can assure you that they do like the birdie companionship from the cage. My birds are constantly chattering to each other from their cages even though they don't necessarily play together.
This was more along the lines of what I was thinking of. I was thinking that, while I'm gone, the birds would be comforted by the noise of each other. It was an idea(I didn't think it was going to fly anyways), but I was wondering if it might work.
Because of this, I still need to allocate one-on-one time with each bird each day. In your case this would be counterproductive, since you are already worried about not providing your grey with enough attention.

I've read that the length of time you spend with a bird doesn't matter so much as the frequency. So if you switched between them, perhaps it wouldn't negate it at all.

Remember, most birds (even big smart ones like greys) will do fine being alone for 6-7 hours a day if they are raised on a consistent schedule and given plenty of things to keep them occupied (just think of how many bird-owning working adults there are out there). The key is making sure you do not coddle a bird too much in the beginning, so that it develops an unrealistic expectation of how much time it will spend with you each day. For example, pretend you bring home your new baby over summer break and spend 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, cuddling, holding, or playing with it. It's definitely not hard to do with an adorable, lovable baby! You do this for a month, but then school starts again and suddenly he is locked up alone for half of the day. Of course this would make him anxious and unhappy! Not only has he not learned how to play independently or how to entertain himself, but he is suddenly feeling "abandoned" by his flock. Instead, set yourself up for success and get everyone on a predictable schedule. Encourage your bird to play with toys, forage for their foods, and be okay on their own. Then make sure that when you ARE home in the morning and evenings you are letting them hang out with you as much as possible.

Good advice. I've seen it before, but it's always good to have it confirmed. Thanks for your time and clarification! :D

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am not an expert. Louise seems to do fine alone during the day. She has toys. I hide snacks in her cage on some days. There are bird feeders outside the window so she can watch other birds--they are bird feeders for small birds/collapsible perches as I don't want hawks and crows in her line of sight . I leave her with music on. I tried the cartoon thing but never saw her paying a bit of attention to it. I lucked out so far, she is young (around 10 mos)so things could change, but she is pretty chill. I have a pretty quiet house and she is pretty quiet too.
Good luck!

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
Thank you for all your help. You've really given me some peace of mind! I was worried sick that even my best efforts wouldn't be able to keep a Grey satisfied...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Skwawk I would recommend you watch Parrot Confidential. You have put a lot of planning into bird ownership and you will be able to keep a Grey satisfied. Anyone's life can change...but if you are school age, yours definitely will. There are many displaced birds. People move. Get spouses-and sometimes it takes a lot of work for the bird to accept the spouse-let alone the spouse accepting the bird. Lots of folks have kids and birds bite. If you get a gray now--and I am not saying don't-- that bird will live 70 years. Your grand kids and maybe great grand kids will have the opportunity to know the bird--which is pretty phenomenal. Given that someday you may have to place your gray, raise him/her well. I am in my 50s and I got a very young bird. I know she will outlive me and my biggest jobs are to make sure she has a good life with me and is prepared for her next home. I am not saying at all to not get a bird, it sounds like a bird can be a very good choice. Just saying plan for contingencies and don't get one if you can't manage both your lives through the many life changes a head.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Parrots are a huge responsibility, there are a multitude of facets to consider... all of which I'm sure you've heard of or read. Though they are to be heeded, to a new-to-be parrot owner they are also nerve wracking. Will I be good enough to keep my bird happy? What if it doesn't like me after all? And you are already to an extent, discouraged.

Don't be. Every bird is different and unique, but none are going to instantly gratify you with recognition and "love" like a dog will. It will take time, on their terms, but what a beautiful gift when they do accept you and expose their true selves to you little by little. They are also very adaptable, I'd say being alone for 6-7 hours is fairly standard and longer times in between are most likely more common as the typical job is 8 hours daily. I let my CAG out whenever I am home, it might be all day or just at night and he seems content with whatever he gets. He loves scritchies but he is also perfectly fine with just being out in company, sitting on my shoulder or a chair arm. Your grey will be fine without the addition of another little bird, and possibly even better off. I have a cockatiel as well but they literally ignore each other, I wonder sometimes if they even realize the other exists even though they're right in front of one another!

When I am not home I play the radio, his cage is also situated in front of large windows overlooking the front yard. Whenever I am home, he is out. If I go away for a few days my mom watches him and doesn't let him out (for some reason she is scared of him though he has never bit anyone) and he is still fine with himself when I return. No worries, and good luck on your addition to be. :)

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much, everyone!
I was a little nervous, but now I understand that(while my worries might have beenwell-intentioned), my grey will probably be fine. This is quite comforting, and it means I can focus on my bird without worrying so much!

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
Due to some interesting circumstances, one of my school friends who has 4 parakeets is trying to find a new home for one of them(see my sig below). This is because Sunny doesn't get along well with the other parakeets, and I think she was probably the one who hurt one of the other 'keets(my friend got really worried!). So she decided to ask the surprisingly large group of bird friends she knows(5 people, including us) if one of them could take her in. The one with two 'tiels and the one with two 'keets couldn't, but I said I would keep in touch. So there is a possibility(not guaranteed) that I'll get a parakeet.
I plan to keep Sunny up in a flight cage(her wings aren't clipped) in my room, and the TAG will spend their days downstairs but come to my room for their sleep cage. I'll plan to spend several 10-15 minute blocks with my Grey each afternoon, as well as give them some supervised out-of-cage-time while I do my homework. Between my time with the Grey, I plan to spend about 5-10 minutes talking with Sunny, who doesn't like coming out of her cage. Over the weekends, I plan to spend a lot more time with both of them. I would spend time with the TAG in the early morning, late afternoon, and evenings; when I would normally be with them. Hopefully I can win Sunny over with time on the weekends during the late morning and the early afternoon. I'll still keep some time to myself around then and do homework during that timespan as well.

Skwawk

Strolling the yard
And, unfortunately, adopting Sunny was settled as a no. But, it still depends on the friend: if they need me to take Sunny, I most certainly will.