• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do flights grow back in?

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I got my two parakeets from Petco on new years eve. They had their wings cut very short. The still haven't grown in at all and the poor birds drop like rocks and struggle to get around. I want them to have their wings so they can fly around on the new play gym as well as in their cage. I'm a bit worried because my cockatiels wings always grow back so fast.
Any ideas? They were 4-5 months old when I got them.
Here are the little cuties.
20160103_144914-1.jpg

20160127_103705.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on when they were clipped in relation to their molting schedule. Birds usually take 1-2 years to completely refresh their flight feathers. Depending on which ones they molt first, they may be able to fly to some degree in 6 months, or it might not be for a year and a half. Jingo was clipped at about 3 months, and did not fly until he was about a year old.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Awh, really? That's so sad! I wish they would grow back sooner for them.. thank you for answering. I hope they are able to fly properly once they get them back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All of my birds that have been previously clipped (a green cheek, two quakers, and a hahns macaw) have regained flight after being clipped, so there is definitely a high chance :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Wow, you must have one loud and busy house! :) that is very good news.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, right now I just have the two quakers. My Hahns is over the rainbow bridge and my green cheek escaped last year and has not returned home. But, still loud and busy, especially when you add in the toddler lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I worked for Purina company at a Petco and hung around the birds often. Petco policy is to cut the flight feathers very short so they do not fly in the store or grabbed by a dog. My Lineoated Parakeet female had her wings trimmed before I go her from the breeder. I was not happy about this. My male Linnie seem to scare her when he flew in my apartment so I had his wings trimmed so that would match. The male's flights grew back within 6 months. The female is finally flying again after 1 year. I gave them a supplement called Featheriffic which helped her. Now they have the shiniest feathers I have ever seen. Amazon.com : Avitech Featheriffic Supplement, 3 oz : Pet Health Care Supplies : Pet Supplies Have you seen any of the clipped feathers falling?
Your budgies are so adorable.

I would love to make a signature for you if you can get a photo without cage bars.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Awh, I'm sorry for your loss :( I hope your green cheek is okay, maybe his instincts kicked in and he is taking over the forest! :)
How are your quakers? I had one once and she was a little devil. Screamed all day and bit the chance she got close enough. I had to rehome her.

@Lady Jane for store purposes I can see why that would be preferred but it sure is sad once the little birds find a home and can't get around properly. Thank you :) it is very interesting comparing their personalities to my cockatiels. I hope to breed them in a few months. I do feed Oasis bird vitamins which I order off of amazon. Do you think that helps? It has a lot of different vitamins in it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was never big on birdie vitamins as I prefer to do that through a proper diet. The times I did feed vitamins to budgies they seem to always get diarrhea. The featheriffic is a good product and does have vitamins essential for feather health. It took about 1.5 months for me to notice the difference. I would not feed the featheriffic along with the vitamins. When you take the budgies in for a wellness check please ask you vet.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'd give them at least 6 months. By then, they will probably have at least few flight feathers grown back and be able to start flying at least a short distance.

Your two budgies are beautiful.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Okay, great! I'm sure they will be a lot more happy. And thank you! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awh, I'm sorry for your loss :( I hope your green cheek is okay, maybe his instincts kicked in and he is taking over the forest! :)
How are your quakers? I had one once and she was a little devil. Screamed all day and bit the chance she got close enough. I had to rehome her.

Jingo I have had since he was 3 months old, and he will be 5 this year. He is a jerk lol, but I love him (usually). He screams most of the day and dive bombs me. Bobber is of unknown age and came here in September, and he's much quieter but not hand tame. So he just sort of chills :)

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Your budgies are gorgeous! :bounce3:

Mine took a good 3 months or so to grow back. Unfortunately due to the plummeting you mentioned Louis's developing feathers got damaged on one side so it took another round for that side to grow back. If they land on their wing which often happens when they plummet they are at risk of damaging....I don't mean to fret just thought I'd forewarn you! I always made sure Louis couldn't drop to the ground from a high distance after this. Also, sorry @Lady Jane but I always recommend your egg bread to help with their feather growth. Mine love(d) it!:)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Thank you :) I took the bottom grate out the day I got them home when I saw one fall on the floor. I ended up putting a towel on the bottom to give them somthing soft to fall on. Now they can move around better but they still fall occasionally. And when they jump down they just smack the floor. I'm not putting the grate back in.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway

Jingo I have had since he was 3 months old, and he will be 5 this year. He is a jerk lol, but I love him (usually). He screams most of the day and dive bombs me. Bobber is of unknown age and came here in September, and he's much quieter but not hand tame. So he just sort of chills :)
They sound like angels.. haha. I donno, I don't really like the quaker since I had mine. Im glad you enjoy yours though :) I think cockatoos are so adorable! Of course I couldn't deal with that noise, but the are still cute.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Thank you :) I took the bottom grate out the day I got them home when I saw one fall on the floor. I ended up putting a towel on the bottom to give them somthing soft to fall on. Now they can move around better but they still fall occasionally. And when they jump down they just smack the floor. I'm not putting the grate back in.

The seagrass reptile mats are also good as they soften landing. I also made sure they had lots of perches to make their way down! While they were flightless I also hung a seagrass mat at their cage mid level so they could "jump around" at least. I really hope they grow in soon. You are taking excellent care if them! :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Hmm, I will have to look into getting one! I used to get all sorts of reptile things for my hermitt crabs. I think gaining the ability to move around easier will make them more confident.
Thank you :) your budgies are very cute!