• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some general food questions.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Popper and Rio came to me with a tub of seed mix that was their primary diet. I knew already that they needed to eat mostly pellets and some fresh veggies and fruit. I bought what pellets were available and started buying a ton of fruit and veggies to see what they would eat.

Overall they try new stuff but like certain things. I have noticed that they have whims where they will pig out on something for a couple of days and then not eat anymore. Or they will ignore something for a couple of days and then try it and like it. They love Granny Smith apples. Pomegranate, peas, uncooked whole wheat and veggie pasta, cooked quinoa, eggs. Popper will occasionally eat something else and will try anything. He likes chicken. They tolerate green beans (raw) and cooked butternut squash. They don't seem to eat mango, radish,
Both birds do eat pellets but I just had an epiphany that rio needs tinier pellets. I will buy some. Both birds LOVE seeds. I am slowly decreasing the seeds and increasing the pellets. Popper only eats green pellets (realize artificial color is bad).

Would like to normalize the fruit, veggie, grain thing and stop offering a huge array of options all the time. Happy to cook for them - is cooking a bird dish a week the way to go? They do not eat raw lettuce or spinach or other leaves but maybe cooked in a dish? Should they also get raw? How do you give it?

I could use apples to train Rio. That would be very motivating! Popper could be trained with scrambled eggs,

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Search "chop" on here.
Most of us do one big batch of chop and freeze in portions with 2-3 days worth in each. Depending on my mood I briefly microwave the portion (25-30 seconds) before serving just to take the chill off.

I put different stuff in my batches every time. I actually have to do one tomorrow.

I also make a pumpkin/sweet potato/veggie "bread" which I serve to get other nutrients in them. I use rice flour, almond milk, egg, and banana along with the veggies. So it really ends up to be a cooked pudding of sorts but they generally love it.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
My bread is where I put kale and spinach. My guys will not touch it otherwise.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Every bird will have their own specific preferences to what they like. Have you tried sweet corn? That seems to be a general favorited for birds. I also give mine swiss chard, sugar snaps, habaneros, unsweetened coconut and zucchini in addition to some of the things you mentioned, as well as some corn bread stuff I make.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try mashed sweet potatoes with little 100% pineapple juice mashed into it. coconut is another favorite here.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You sound like you are doing well with there diet & getting good advise.
Too much spinach is not good. It impedes nutrient absorption so should be fed only in small quantities

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
You sound like you are doing well with there diet & getting good advise.
Too much spinach is not good. It impedes nutrient absorption so should be fed only in small quantities
this is true of guinea pigs too, if i recall correctly!!! Was not surprised to see it on the "occasional" list for birdies.

I made my first chop. It has quinoa, green beans, black beans, butternut squash, some watercress and some corn. I added some frozen fruit from a smoothie mix too. we will see how it goes. I'm going to start saving favorite foods for training. Apples for Rio and Eggs for Popper.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have bought them a sweet potato !!
But I have never cooked one - gotta go google how to do it!!
I wash mine and peel them, dice into 2 " pieces put them in cold water bring to boil turn them down to simmer and test them with fork. when fork will go in easy they are down, drain and mash.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've noticed quite a few birds are binge eaters. Today they love it. Next week they hate it. A month from now they love it again.

Hens seem to do it a little more. I'm sure it has to do with her cycles and different requirement at different times. Birds in general know what they need and go for it "if" its available.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
I've noticed quite a few birds are binge eaters. Today they love it. Next week they hate it. A month from now they love it again.

Hens seem to do it a little more. I'm sure it has to do with her cycles and different requirement at different times. Birds in general know what they need and go for it "if" its available.
Like me and chocolate !!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Some birds may not like potato mash. I would offer the cooked sweet potato cut into small chunks.
You might also sprinkle some cinnamon on it for taste.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Would like to normalize the fruit, veggie, grain thing and stop offering a huge array of options all the time.
Variety is what makes homemade diets work. While you don't necessarily need to offer a hundred different things per day, try to make sure it differs week to week. Go with seasonally available fruits/veggies to make this easier. For winter, lots of squash, oranges, tangerines, pears, cooked turnip & parsnip, etc.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The nutrients most often lacking in diets are vitamin A, omega 3 fatty acids and calcium.
I would suggest a bit of red palm oil (maybe on bread?), broccoli (florets or esp leaves), carrots, sweet potato for beta carotene which is precursor to vitamin A.
Omega 3's sources includes walnuts and flax, and almonds are a good source of calcium.
You say they LOVE seeds and that is fine. seeds are very good for them. It might be more convenient to give them seeds as a reward when training, or use them alternating with apple or eggs.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Like me and chocolate !!!
:lol:
Actually, now that it is mentioned, binge eating is my thing too, I only eat the same thing for 3 or 4 days! I started yesterday eating lentil soup lol