• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arthritis in Wings and Feet

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
My 9 year old cockatiel Ellie has arthritis in her foot/leg and wings. When she flies she has to hold her wings up because of the pain she is in. I don't know how cold it is where you are but you should put a heating pad between blankets on the cage at night. I would also recommend a vitamin supplement. Get soft perches such as cotton, it's more relaxing on their feet. Make sure you have a variety of sizes for perches so he can exercise his feet. If you notice he is having trouble getting around get some or make some ladders and wrap them so they are a solid piece (no steps) and put it across the cage so he can walk along it to his dishes.
Ellie sometimes lays in her food dish to get off her feet so I need to make a little pad for the corner so she has something to lay on.

featherdown

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda
My old cockatiel loves his rope perches, his ladders, and his little flat wood platforms. I also think that healx cream is good stuff. It may seem counterintuitive, but exercise is important for birds with arthritis- get him flapping and climbing a little bit each day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For Gizmo, I did the heated perch, rope perches, flat perches, and large wooden ones. They definitely still need to work those feet to keep mobility.

I also fed Senior Nutriberries, gave Avitech Arthritis, and cooked with ginger and tumeric.

I also diffused Copaiba essential oil.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
For Gizmo, I did the heated perch, rope perches, flat perches, and large wooden ones. They definitely still need to work those feet to keep mobility.

I also fed Senior Nutriberries, gave Avitech Arthritis, and cooked with ginger and tumeric.

:heart:

featherdown

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda

Do you think the Copaiba did anything good? I had someone else talk to me about diffusing Copaiba oil for a duck, but I thought parrots' lungs might be too sensitive. They also gave it by mouth.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would absolutely not use essential oils orally, for pets or people. I do think it helped a lot for Gizmo. Essential oils are controversial but a duck's lung should be no less sensitive than a parrot's. I only did it for 15 minutes a few times a day and under supervision to watch for distress.

featherdown

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda
I would absolutely not use essential oils orally, for pets or people. I do think it helped a lot for Gizmo. Essential oils are controversial but a duck's lung should be no less sensitive than a parrot's. I only did it for 15 minutes a few times a day and under supervision to watch for distress.
Can you just send me a fb message about your setup and how it affected Giz? thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There isn't much more to discuss. I used a small 100 ml diffuser with 2 drops of copaiba set on a shelf 5 feet from her cage. I turned it on for 15 minutes then turned it off. She seemed more active and alert for hours later. I don't have any science or anything. Just observation.