• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess parrot woes

Tam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tam
I unexpectedly would up with a Princess Parrot a year ago. It was found in a park in terrible shape after being attacked by wild birds. Once deemed healthy enough by the vet to go to a shelter or home there were no takers. I took her on rather than see her euthanised.
She had no manners so my guess is she is an aviary bird.
Despite attempts at Google education I'm still second guessing the sex but we refer to the bird as a she.
I have taught her step up, give kiss and she understands "off" when I want her off my head (I struggle to keep her of my head) or other surfaces.
She used to be terribly cage aggressive but now is rarely so with me, with others she is still bad.
She has free range of the house by day, caged and covered at night.
She loves music and dancing and responds well to hearing her own species on the computer. However if she sees a bird outside she panics and I have to quickly corral her into her cage to calm her down. Fortunately she has learned to avoid the windows and in rooms she has access to when no one is home has the blinds closed.
Problems
She is a one person bird. She will bite and occasionally swoop anyone else that comes near her.
She loves me and begs for attention from me, loves to follow me around the house and starts chirping and singing gleefully as soon as she hears my voice in the morning or when I get home. She has given me warnings when upset (pecking) but doesn't bite me.
My husband was patient for months but now despises the bird due to the swoops and numerous blood drawing bites. The only interaction she will have with him is for potato chips and celery (which she initiates). Anything smaller (sunflower seeds, peas etc) and she will ignore the food and bite him.

In the last couple of weeks she has started feather plucking. There are now 2 bald patches with one under her wing and another on the side and just under her throat. When she is plucking she shrieks painfully as it is removed. Nothing has changed. She gets spray baths (doesn't like showers) regularly, varied diet, vitamin supplements when moulting, fresh greens, lots of interaction, covered sleep time (from dusk) etc.
I've tried many toys over the months; fresh branches, foraging balls, plastic chains, shredding toys, wooden blocks - she either ignores them or attacks them. By attack I mean with significant aggression and becomes highly stressed. I've tried leaving some outside the cage and placed treats in, on and around but she still wants no part of them.

Help!!!!!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
She is trying to regurgitate for you in that video - I would look up some hormone management techniques and see if that helps her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When a bird begins to feather pluck its a good idea to take this bird to an avian vet to rule out any medical issues.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I have two Barrabands ( Superb) parrots, similar to princess parrots. I find them very sensitive to some food. I can't give them a coloured pellet. They get fresh food everyday plus seeds as well as sprouted seeds. It doesn't take much to get a reaction to something that does not agree with them, I will find a little puddle of feathers on the grate in the morning. Chips and celery may be part of the problem. Their fresh food has greens, corn, peas, bok choy, strawberries, blueberries, papaya....I try to find fruit that they would have access to in the wild. Is it possible it has mites? As well, mine like to bath everyday. Maybe the air is too dry? Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Tam

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes I totally agree with diet. Keep a journal of what you are feeding her. Start w/ process of elimination. Foods that are high in salt or sugar can cause dry skin so they pluck, to much sugar and their energy level is through the roof & sometimes leads to feather plucking. If a blood panal has been done and all was fine I would take a close look at diet and maybe even some avi-calm in her water to calm the nerves. In my humble opinion plucking needs to be treated quickly before it becomes a habit. Best of luck.

Reactions: Tam

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
When a bird begins to feather pluck its a good idea to take this bird to an avian vet to rule out any medical issues.
Definitely do this first, yes. If she has a bacterial/fungal/etc. infection it could be causing her to pick. They can also run bloodwork to make sure she is not deficient in any vital nutrients, suffering from heavy metal toxicity, diseases, etc.

Last edited:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I read that giving them cotton ropes (tied in a bundle) and fabric pieces can help because they spend time preening the toy than themselves.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
She is beautiful, and you have done a great job with her. Some birds are just one-person birds. My ex refused to have anything to do with my Meyer's, after being bitten a few times. They managed to coexist.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
This is a question for the group. Would having a companion (another Princess Parrot) help? Maybe she wouldn't be so dependent or frustrated. Maybe they would preen each other instead of herself...??

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I think she should go see a vet to rule out Giardia or any organ malfunction, as both can cause plucking in those areas.

Given her history with birds (being attacked and terrified of birds outside the windows), I don't think you should commit to another bird before ruling out any health issues and also somehow "testing" her feelings toward other parrots....maybe show her a high quality parrot video to see how she would react? Otherwise, you would need to be prepared to keep any birds you get separate from her in case they stress her out too much to be kept together.

Tam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tam
Thank you for the input!!!

She has been checkled for parasites and confirmed parasite free (I work in the vet field but not with an avian vet). However I may have to look into an avian Vet for bloodwork analysis.

I struggle to get her to eat any fresh food and have tried several types of pellets but she refused to eat them. She will eat grass seed (I live in Australia so this is her native food), banana, apple, leaf lettuce, baby spinach, peas, corn (2-3 kernels only), carrot, celery and cooked egg yolk. She is and has been offered every green and fruit we eat in the house (which is a long list) and I have planted several foods for her in the garden for her to ensure I always have fresh greens.

It has been very hot and humid so I've had the air conditioner on a lot. Our skin is drier so it makes sense hers would be, too.

Again, thank you. Feel free to educate me. I want her to have a long, healthy and happy life.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: