• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting, I'm not a breeder

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Thank you Karen!
I did start syringe feeding her the exact formula. It is for babies though. Is their a different one I should use?

safehaven

She is also doing much better. She danced this morning which she does anytime someone walks in and she hadn't been doing that so good sign. No eggs since wed so wonder if she is done laying?

Today: her and her mate
image.jpeg

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's great she's doing better. You don't need to actually feed her like a baby from a syringe, you can just offer the food on a spoon or from a dish if you want, and you also don't need to be as careful about temperature as long as it's not too hot.

I usually use Hagen Tropican formula as it says it can also be fed to adults who are weak or recovering, but it's mainly designed for baby birds as well, and I don't know if there's really much difference between it and Kaytee. I tried Harrison's formula once since it's organic, but it mixes up kind of gritty and gross looking and Cheeky did not like it. I will also give some treats of nuts and sometimes sneak in a little oatmeal or applesauce or baby food veggie in the formula.
I don't know if this is ideal, but it's the same idea as feeding a pregnant/nursing dog puppy food and it seems to work well. She has laid a clutch of eggs once every summer for 9 years now and is in good health this way.

safehaven

Thank you Karen. You are a great wealth of birdy knowledge!

I do believe my Fern is done with egg laying! She has not been going to the box and doesn't have thy diaper look anymore to her booty. Lol. She is also dancing a lot which I did not see one time last week.

I am so relieved as this scare with her had me a basket case. I would do anything for her and I know so many on here have gone through heartache even though they have done everything they could. I knew before, but just a real reminder of how fragile and how quickly a bird can go down.

I am so grateful for the support I received on this thread because it got me through it being a novice!!