• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DMG Supplement

WASP

Meeting neighbors
I am looking for a good DMG supplement for my parrots. I was looking around, and it looks like some members use the Vetri DMG liquid if I'm not mistaken

Amazon.com : Vetri-DMG 125 mg, 3.85-Ounce : Pet Antioxidant Nutritional Supplements : Pet Supplies

But I am worried being its a supplent for pets, that the quality control isn't as strigngent as supplements made for human consumption.
I was browsing on amazon, and found this

Amazon.com: BulkSupplements Pure N,N-Dimethyl Glycine HCL (DMG) Powder (250 grams): Health & Personal Care

This could be something for me to try out as well.
Is anyone familiar with either? Or have any thoughts on which brand of DMG could be a healthy addition to my feather friends diet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have used Vetri-DMG in the past with one of my birds and am currently using it with my red-bellied parrot, Scully. The product was first recommended to me by my previous vet. Check with your vet, though, before using any supplements. Here is some info from the Vetri-Science website:

Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats

I would stick with the Vetri-DMG rather than that bulk supplement.

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I read the write-up, but why do you guys think your birds need this supplement? Not criticizing, asking for real.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read the write-up, but why do you guys think your birds need this supplement? Not criticizing, asking for real.
I've used this with ill birds to help support the immune system. I do believe that it has been beneficial for them. I have not used it as a supplement with my healthy birds.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I know Danita carries it but it is presently out of stock. I was given DMG by my vet and it is an immune system booster. In other words, if your fid is under the weather but your vet doesn't know why and there are no specific indications/results, DMG can help. It is also good because it won't contraindicate medications being taken for specific treatment. DMG is also used by humans for the same reason.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My vet recommends the Vetri-DMG for my birds as an immune booster, and to keep their livers healthy. She recommends giving it every day, and she gives it to her birds every day. I think she likes the science behind it. My vet is very science oriented, and doesn't like many things that a lot of people will recommend without having concrete proof. When my birds are sick she ups the dose to twice a day. I like that there is no harm in overdose. DMG in general is also recommended by Leslie Moran, a prominent avian nutritionist.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Not sure if this would help or not but I get Oasis bird vitamins on amazon. It has so many vitamins in it. I compared it to every other vitmin I could find and this had the most and most beneficial ones.
It is a liquid for food or water.

WASP

Meeting neighbors
It's good to get some feed back.
As iamwhoiam, SandraK, and Tiel Feathers mentioned, it helps support immune system of stressed or I'll birds, and helps give a feeling of wellness. I have an Ekkie that dislocated his knee, and had to have surgery to insert pins, and has healed physically pretty well, and a cockatoo that is a bit under the weather at the moment. I already did ask my vet, and she gave the OK already. I am just looking for something to help give them a boost, so they can feel their best.
When do you give your birds their dmg?
At morning, noon, night?
And how do you give it to them?
Thanks in advance!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I give it to Scully once a day in the AM. As per the directions 1 drop per 100 grams. I don't like to use the dropper so I use a 1 milliliter/ml syringe and converted drop to ml. 1 drop = .05 ml. So if you know the weight of your bird you can figure out how much to give him/her. You can also check the dosage with your vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It comes with a dropper, and I just give it to them at night. (If they are sick and need it twice a day, I give it morning and night.) My cockatoo ate the dropper, so he uses a syringe. The dose is very small. One drop for the tiels. 3 for my cockatoo. I have to towel the tiels to administer it, but they are so used to it they don't even care anymore. It's become part of their bedtime routine. I taught my cockatoo to take it from the syringe for a piece of nut. Most of the time they swallow it, sometimes they shake it out of their mouths, but since it's just for support I don't stress if they miss a dose here and there.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
It depends how big your birds are. They have one for big birds and one for small birds (finch-cockatiel and other small hookbills) the bottle is 2 fl oz.
It says 2 drops every day on either food or in their water. I was adviced to only give them every few days on another forum. I haven't decided how often I want to feed it yet. It has instructions on the bottle on giving them extra drops for sick birds and how often they should get it compared to the normal amount. Here is the ingredients and vitamins.
20160206_180200.jpg
20160206_180253.jpg 20160206_180420-1.jpg

WASP

Meeting neighbors
OK Thank you all! It's good to hear good reviews about the Vetri DMG. It makes me a little more comfortable buying this supplement made for animals, being their are real parrot families that have used it and have a positive recommendation.
WASP

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's good to get some feed back.
As iamwhoiam, SandraK, and Tiel Feathers mentioned, it helps support immune system of stressed or I'll birds, and helps give a feeling of wellness. I have an Ekkie that dislocated his knee, and had to have surgery to insert pins, and has healed physically pretty well, and a cockatoo that is a bit under the weather at the moment. I already did ask my vet, and she gave the OK already. I am just looking for something to help give them a boost, so they can feel their best.
When do you give your birds their dmg?
At morning, noon, night?
And how do you give it to them?
Thanks in advance!
My vet prescribed DMG once a day but that is specifically as a booster for a well bird, not a stressed or ill one. 0.8 cc for Chick Pea, a tiel.

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My vet prescribed DMG once a day but that is specifically as a booster for a well bird, not a stressed or ill one. 0.8 cc for Chick Pea, a tiel.

I'm not sure of his concentration Sandra. His doses always differ from that of vetri dmg, being that his bottle is unmarked I would not know if his is diluted.

I give my macaws .5ml once daily. Twice daily as a loading dose for two weeks. They recommend splitting your dose between morning and night for best effect. Follow the vetri dmg instructions and you'll be fine.

I give this medication for many different reasons. Rosie as it helps circulation, Korbel as it has anti inflammatory properties, Binky as it helps auto immune disorders..... I have about 6 birds on it. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I took the rx label off the bottle I was given which turns out to be almost an entire 1 oz/30 ml bottle of liquid formula VetriScience Vetri DMG. The dosage on the side for birds reads: 1 drop by mouth per 100 grams of body weight daily. The bottle itself does not state that the contents should be diluted.

I'll be more than happy to check in with them tomorrow when they open and ask if their DMG is diluted.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not sure of his concentration Sandra. His doses always differ from that of vetri dmg, being that his bottle is unmarked I would not know if his is diluted.

I give my macaws .5ml once daily. Twice daily as a loading dose for two weeks. They recommend splitting your dose between morning and night for best effect. Follow the vetri dmg instructions and you'll be fine.

I give this medication for many different reasons. Rosie as it helps circulation, Korbel as it has anti inflammatory properties, Binky as it helps auto immune disorders..... I have about 6 birds on it. :)

So it's not something birds can or should have frequently, like a supplement? I still need to get some.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It is something a bird can have a supplement on a daily basis. It's a booster of your (or anybody's) immune system. It won't counter-act anything you are taking but it will help your general health.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Macawnutz recommended it, but it has slipped my mind, since that was around the time Ziva passed. I'll get some. Thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that .8 or .08?