• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help..

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I have been watching her all day. She seems to be okay. I just checked her and her vent isn't pulsing.
She's eating and drinking.
All vets here are closed on weekends.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know where you are located but aren't there any 24 hour emergency vet facilities? Good that she is eating and drinking and her vent is not pulsing. Is she still hunched? Definitely keep her warm....cage heater, heating pad, etc.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
There is one that I know specializes in dogs and cats, I don't think they do any birds or small animals. They are very expensive. I had to have my dog put down there because we didn't have thousands of dollars up front, and you can't take your pet until you pay which in return costs more to have them stay there. They don't care about the animals at all. The people were unfriendly and didn't seem to care one bit we were loosing our pet.
I'm trying everything I know and what advice I'm getting. But I don't have hundreds to spend on an emergency visit right now. We just lost our other dog to brain cancer and had to spend a lot of money for everything.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for the loss of your dogs. I know that the emergency vets can be much more expensive then our regular vets and so few of them have any knowledge about birds. It took me several hours and phone calls to find someone when Scully first got ill and that was New Years Day. Sounds like she is doing better so I hope that the improvement continues.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Thank you. She is doing much better.
I left the room for a few minutes and found this. She is so crazy!
20160206_205606.jpg

2016-02-06 20.58.57.jpg

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd keep her well away from any spots which she might think are fine nesting spots. I don't know how much you know about birds, but in case you don't know, do not stroke her back or wings or let her in areas she may see as nesting sites, like a quiet dark place under a dresser. If she is hormonal, that is not a good thing to do.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I know, I took her out when I found her. She doesn't allow me to pet her at all so petting isn't a problem. I just thought it was kind of funny.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad she seems to be feeling better!:)

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
They find the funniest little fortresses :D I am very glad she's feeling better, I hope she turns out alright.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I won't repeat any of the great advise you have already received.Just wanted to let you know another pet/birdie parent was saying a small prayer that all is well. I understand all to well about the vet situation. When I acquired my small zoo I lived in a small town w/ very reasonable vets. Now i have moved back to a bigger city where there are 6x's the vet and they are all so expensive. Best of luck .:)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Thank you everyone. She seems perfectly fine. I was suggested on another forum that maybe it is just part of her being hormonal. Whatever it was gave me a scare. This keeps happening with her, I wish I knew what it was. I did notice it was only when she was on her perch. Out of the cage she stood fine and when she sat on her cage door she sat normally. Oh, and when she was in her little cave, haha. She is such a determined little bird.