• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Backyard Flock

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Hey all! I came here looking for info on Aracaris and stumbled upon this part of the site.

I already had plans for a small flock of egg layers. Probably 3 chickens. I also want a golden pheasent male. Thinking of maybe getting him 2 females though.

The plans are to repurpose an old 6x8 shed as their coop, then do solid fencing about 3 feet high, the finish it off woth a dome top made of PVC and chicken wire with a 'roof' of thick tarp. The dimensions will be about 10x20.

Is this enough room for 6? (3 chickens and 3 pheasent)
Will chickens and pheasants get along?
Will they eat the same food?
Do I have to have a rooster to get the chickens to lay?
What is the best way to protect against preditors?
What other things should I be considering before constructiong the coop/run or adding poultry to my daily routine?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What is the best way to protect against preditors?
A number of species can, and most likely will try to, tunnel into the enclosure. Using either a cement bottom that is then covered in dirt, or burying wire fencing with very small spaces, are the best ways to prevent this. As for the wire on the sides and top, it will need to have small spaces as well. This wiring should be double layered to prevent animals such as raccoons from reaching into the enclosure.

Matt

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Hmm...I'd rather them be on grass than concrete. I could maybe do some bricks in the inside and outside of the fencing instead. Would that work?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You would put the dirt and grass on top of the cement so that rodents, and other animals, can not tunnel into the area.

Matt

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Perhaps an above-ground enclosure? You would need a pretty solid foundation, but that would prevent rodents etc. from digging into it.

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
That would defeat the purpose of them being on grass.

I'm sure I'll figure something out.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Dig a trench and bury some of the wire. Get wooden shingle-type wood pieces and drive them into a trench vertically along the fencing.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You can't keep them together. Chickens can pass the protozoa that cause blackhead with little or no ill effects; however, the protozoa will kill the pheasants.

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My dad has chickens. All the breeds are segregated. In their own coups and fenced in areas with alarms. And yes rodents is an issue. Also ppl try to steal them. That's why I don't have them. I love roasters but they're noisey in the city. Any advise you want I can ask him. He's 68 and had chickens his whole life.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I use electronet fencing and a solar charger, plus three dogs. Only had one loss to a predator in about six years.