• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Breeder

k4baraza

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello.
I'm really interested in purchasing a Quaker. I've been searching non-stop for a reputable breeder and can't find anything concrete on anyone. I see reviews here and there but feel like they might be manipulated, so I was wondering if everyone in this forum would be able to help.

I've come across a lot of breeders such as:

Birdmans Baby Parrots - IL
D And R Aviary - IL
In a pickle parrots - OH

I used the site birdbreeders.com, I've been searching non-stop on the web and calling breeder by breeder but it would be nice to hear from some of the members in the forum.
Thank you in advance for being able to help me out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, someone here will be familiar with those breeders and can offer advice. A word of caution- you probably know this- but it's illegal to own a Quaker in some states. Have you checked to make sure it's okay in your state? For instance, we can't have them here in PA, which is a shame because they really are adorable.

@webchirp ?

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
Can someone please explain to me the whole illagal thing with Quakers? Why would they be illegal in PA? If it's a nuisance thing, I wasn't even aware they could survive the climate there. :huh: color me confused.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Someone once told me they breed very quickly, or something similar to that so that's why they are illegal in some areas. So it could throw off the bird population in the area quite fast. But I'm not an expert, so this may not be true. But they are such cute little things, it's a shame some people can't have them. :(
@rompydompy

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Can someone please explain to me the whole illagal thing with Quakers? Why would they be illegal in PA? If it's a nuisance thing, I wasn't even aware they could survive the climate there. :huh: color me confused.
Our Legislature was convinced by utility companies near Philly that escaped Quakers would build large communal nests on utility poles that would catch on fire or make the pole come down. They had no proof that this happened -or would happen in Philadelphia, though.

A few years later, they tried to ban Nanday conures. My representative was a co-sponsor of this bill. When I called to ask why, the office staff told me they'd get back to me about it. They never did, and the bill died, thank goodness...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Imagine that, our representatives pushing things through they know little about. ;)
Heck, they can't even pass a budget for the state...it WAS due at the end of June...

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Would you consider a full grown Quaker ? Try contacting QPSRAPP they may be able to help you

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In California, they are considered agricultural pests due to their destruction of crops. They are also considered threats to native species.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Old World Aviaries in Austin Tx breeds them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers are not "jungle" birds - they live in cooler climates so they thrive in most areas of America, even during the winter. They DO make large communal nests, unlike other parrot species they do not hollow out trees but build nests of twigs. Some people assumed due to their ability to survive in cold weather and the nest building that they would be an agricultural nuisance, hazard to utility poles, and drive out native species.

It's hard to find reputable breeders for Quakers because it doesn't seem there are any :( So many people want Quakers because they are small and talk, but they are rehomed SOOO frequently and breeders just keep pumping them out because they breed relatively easily and they keep getting bought. Having gone through the baby phase with one quaker (he'll be 5 this year) I will never own another baby quaker if I can help it! (though I admit the quaker shakes are to die for!). Going through puberty is not at all fun! I much prefer my older guy (no idea on age) :) If you are open to it, the adults are so much more rewarding in my opinion!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Competing with native species for food and large nests are the only legitimate reasons I can see for banning them. In large agricultural states like Indiana, where quakers are completely legal, birds as a whole make up for only a very (negligible) percentage of crop loss. The vast majority of crop loss is attributed to deer and small animals. Maybe this is a different story with orchard crops, but that still wouldn't explain why some states (including those that are major producers of fruits) don't choose to ban them. I would much rather these states put a license on owning them, and limit the number you can own to prevent feral colonies from forming from escapees.

The person I got my caique from also breeds, rescues, and rehomes other birds - including quakers. She had one from an elderly gentleman whose wife recently passed when I visited back in September. Unfortunately, I think she fell on rough times herself with poor health and hasn't updated her website and birdbreeders profile, but you could try contacting her via her facebook page to see if she has any quakers available (baby or rehomes): Corbett Birds

Other than that, I would suggest just talking to any breeders that interest you. I messaged several people about caiques when I was looking, and some responded while others were not so keen. Open, honest communication is one of the easiest ways to see if a breeder (or rescue) is one you want to work with.

Glenna

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Glenna
Check with dawn vest in Wisconsin. She breaded great hand fed birds. I live in il and I bought a conure from her! Zoe!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I visited Birdman's store in Chicago & he had some quakers but what turned me off was that they were being fed a seed diet (even though his website states all babies are weaned off onto a fresh food & pellet diet) though maybe it was just at the time I visited? I don't know.

But....if you're close to Illinois (which I'm assuming from the other breeders you listed) you may be able to go to Bird is the word in Batavia Illinois. That's where I'm getting my quaker from! You can check out their Facebook page.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bird is the Word
Looks like a nice bird store.
Says 2 HR parking! :blahblah:That's not enough time.

I'm in CA & I guess that's why I never saw a Quaker.

Having a breeder pay good attention & start a baby bird on a good diet really is a plus!
That is a very important thing to ask a breeder & if they don't want to answer your questions it best to skip over them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have one breeder pair of blue Quakers. I have not had babies for several years. (Female broke her leg. Following year got egg bound then I just didn't have time to feed and wean properly.)
Last year I put back on their next box. All I got were unfertilized eggs but I am trying again this year. If you welling to take a very long drive I can get in touch when/if I get any from my pair. They are the only pair I have. All my babies in the past were talking before they left me. They are the pair my Topaz is from.
Two are already spoken for but I am sure If things go well I well let them hatch 5 before removing nest box.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Bird is the Word
Looks like a nice bird store.
Says 2 HR parking! :blahblah:That's not enough time.
I live about 30 minutes from Bird is the Word and can verify that it is a really good store with well-cared-for birds. In fact, I'm within a 1-hour drive to 4 bird stores, including Birdman's Baby Parrots, which I have not visited; I have visited the other three and Bird is the Word remains my favorite, which is why I'll strongly consider it when I'm ready to bring another bird into my home (hopefully sometime next year).

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
I live in Florida but I haven't bought from a breeder because we have wonderful bird stores here. I bought Wasabi 3 years ago from bird store for 100 in Naples Fl. The women who ran the store was great and handled all the birds and hand fed babies. She came banded and with a certificate and health guarantee. And I bought a cage that I got 25% off because I bought her. So I left with the love of my life and a nice cage for 200. Try to look for a bird store in your area (not chain stores like Petco petsmart)