• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds in my backyard (QLD, Australia) - lots of photos

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not exactly a zoo, but I get quite a lot of parrots in my yard and thought I'd share some of the photos I've taken of them. The little ones sure do have personality. I've come out to them rolling around in the grass playing before, which is possibly the cutest thing to watch. At the university I work at, we have whole flocks of small corellas who like to do the same thing. They don't seem to mind all the people walking past and will happily roll down hills with their mates all day.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few of the flock of once-in-a-while dawn alarm cockatoos:

image.jpg

I can never seem to get good shots of them (or any) on my camera because they're a bit skittish, but I also get pale faced and crimson rosellas as well as green scaly lorikeets.

image.jpg

These ones are decidedly not parrots and are from a place I used to work called Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, here in Brisbane. They do have a bunch of small and large parrots there, I just never seemed to get any photos of them. They did love to talk though and dance around!

image.jpg

These guys (curlews) are very loud, but the noise itself isn't so bad. They wonder the car park of this particular sanctuary making the most incredible calls. And their eyes are massive! It causes them to look either extremely underwhelmed, as in this pic, or in a constant state of shock.

image.jpg

Speaking of loud. There are a few kookaburras where I live and more out in less metro areas. They are very intelligent and curious birds. Where I used to live we had one that would come right up to you for scritches and food fairly regularly, and this is a pretty common thing if one happens to frequent where you live. The downside is that their laugh, while fine in the afternoon, is wake-the-dead loud and often occurs before the sun has even had a chance to peer over the horizon.

Finally, a bird that could actually pass off as a dinosaur (as opposed to my lovie, who just thinks she's one):

image.jpg

Cassowarys live a fair bit north of me in more rainforest-y areas. They are very dangerous, if the size of this guys talons wasn't already a huge give away.

No photos, but I have also seen the most beautiful yellow-tailed black cockatoos out hiking in the bush around where I live.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hello:

Love the photos! I had a great time in Brisbane

Raa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kirra
Cassowarys are terrifying in the flesh. You don't realise just how huge they are until you accidentally stumble across one. I grew up in Cairns (far north Queensland) and we stumbled across one on a hike one. It was HUGE... The ranger was devastated, he'd been there for 2 years and never seen one.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for posting these pics! How awesome to see such a variety of birds in the wild. I loved hearing about the birds playing and rolling down the hill. Very cute!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Beautiful pics, you are lucky, thanks for sharing. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It must be nice to have such a wide variety of species in your own backyard.

Matt

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now that's the way to see parrots - not in a cage rather in their natural home. Thanks so much for the adorable photos. How lucky you are.

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
beautiful pictures :heart:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I think it would be paradise to live with all the colorful birds around like that, even the kookaburras I bet I could sleep though, I sleep that deeply.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Amazing, and beautiful pictures :)
Thanks for sharing!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Beautiful pics.
Cassowarys were local to me when I lived in Cairns. There were warning signs all over the mountains for them. Definitely so dino like.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks, all! It's nice to get the odd visitor in the mornings and afternoons. They're a lot of fun to watch.

A few months ago I had some toos that decided to try and eat my house when I told them they were not to get used to using the bird feeder. One of the photos in the OP was from then, but I found a few others I thought were cute. I love their cheeky smiles.

DSC05506.JPG

DSC05498.JPG
(peekaboo, I'm going to eat your roof now)

DSC05500.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They look to be larger than the ones some have for pets.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Luna and I got treated to some new visitors this morning.

DSC06478.JPG

DSC06480.JPG

I've seen this next guy hanging around before, but he doesn't usually come right up to the feeder. He was trying to be sneaky and take seeds while the others weren't looking.

DSC06468.JPG

DSC06471.JPG

They look to be larger than the ones some have for pets.
That's quite possible, although I don't have a lot to compare them with. The captive ones I've seen have always seemed quite big, but maybe they're all just bigger here since this is where they're native to.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A few more from the other day.

DSC06487.JPG

I love how regal the girl looks in this one.

DSC06536.JPG

And some new-ish friends. The magpie is either the mum or dad of a family that hangs around here. The kookaburra is new.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Thanks, all! It's nice to get the odd visitor in the mornings and afternoons. They're a lot of fun to watch.

A few months ago I had some toos that decided to try and eat my house when I told them they were not to get used to using the bird feeder. One of the photos in the OP was from then, but I found a few others I thought were cute. I love their cheeky smiles.

View attachment 216834

View attachment 216835
(peekaboo, I'm going to eat your roof now)

View attachment 216836
Lol! Peekaboo I'm going to eat your roof now!! Omg that made me cackle out loud :roflmao: Thanks for sharing! So cool to see them out in nature.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My camera is broken and I couldn't get close up with my phone, but I finally managed to get a picture of the very occasional pale-headed rosella visitor that stops by. His colours are so pretty.

image.jpeg

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I always think about Australia and how amazing it must be to see these guys in the wild!
I tend to forget that they're actually native some places.
great pictures :)