• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

grey green ino?

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
i am looking into a new bird to get. One of the only reputable breeders I know doesn't have any green cheeks available but her ringneck a laid an egg and the parents are grey and green. She said the egg should be split ino. So what color do you think the baby will be?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That depends on if one parent is SF or DF grey. If SF grey, then the breeder should get a combo of green and SF grey chicks. If the parent is DF grey, then all chicks will be SF grey.

The breeder can't guarantee a chick is split ino unless one parent *is* ino. If the father is split ino, then only males will be able to pick up the split ino gene, but it's a 50% chance that a male offspring will be split ino.... which means that the pair should also be able to throw ino offspring.... which means the chicks would be female and could be ino or SF grey ino.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Wow, genetics seem so confusing to me. I don't know if I'll get the baby because I was hoping for a blue or at least green. My first choice was a green cheek and I'm still looking for a good breeder who has them. If I don't find a good breeder or a rescue that has green cheeks, I'll look into the ringneck again. Thank you @Monica for responding!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I am completely ignorant when it comes to genetics and mutations. But I noticed you said the parents were grey and green. My Kiwi's (Kiwi's pic is my avatar) father was green and mother was grey. What I was told was that Kiwi was a "grey green".

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
My daughter just got a green cheek and from what I am hearing he is a little clown. I've read where they can get a little feisty when they get older but so can Ringnecks. So far at 12 weeks Kiwi is a gentil baby. She/he steps up and has only nipped me once when I brought her home and tried to change cages. Posts some pics of your new baby, would love to see him

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I actually have a thread somewhere about both of my new cheekies. But here are some pics.

Olive is the older of the two. She came from a parrot store. image.jpeg

We didn't plan on keeping kale. He came from a person who wanted to get rid of him after only having him for two weeks. I thought I'd Foster him until I could find a good home but that changed after the first couple of days.
image.jpeg