• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My name is Jennifer and I'm a PM hoarder... how do I delete...

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I was thinking more of the birdies of A Helping Wing. THAT's a lot of birds. So maybe hoarding wasn't/isn't the right word. Seriously though only five? You need to work on that. :D

I am definitely a person who believes in quality not quantity :) I have the most amazing relationship with Max. We long debated bringing home another macaw that both my husband and I were connected with, but she was an alpha bird and wanted to be the center of attention and the lifestyle change it would have meant for Max... to me, I need to think about the life I can give Ivory and Max versus the life I can give half a dozen cockatoos and several macaws. For me personally, its not likely I'll ever get another large bird. And with birds I meet that I adore like Jade or Penny from the shelter, I'm honest to know that its more fair for them to go to a home where they are the center of someone's world, not just me being able to say I have whatever pretty bird that does not get enough of my attention because Max is my baby.

Everyone is different, but for me... my two bigger birds are literally like having kids and unless there was a bird that just bonded to me and followed me out the door the way Max did, they keep me more then busy!! The small flock are birds that have kinda just ended up here... one to keep a single budgie company, and the 3rd budgie is actually 'new', she is a special needs that can't be in the big aviary cage and her cagemate just died, so we decided to see how she did with my small flock.

I really consider myself as having two birds... the small flight are not people oriented, they are just a group that are happy together, so they do their own thing :)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
What you do is so amazing. I would be bringing a lot of birds home.
I do have one bird that likes to monopolize my attention but after a while he knows that it's time to go to his cage and let me play with someone else.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What you do is so amazing. I would be bringing a lot of birds home.
I do have one bird that likes to monopolize my attention but after a while he knows that it's time to go to his cage and let me play with someone else.

You just have to remind yourself that if you bring everyone home that appeals to you, there won't be a spot to help that bird that desparately needs you... like for how long Merlin stayed with me. He never would have gotten adopted out of the shelter with how he behaved there, but here, he was able to relax and tho he is very much a hands off bird, he showed such a tremendous personality, that shelter friends realized what a great addition he was to their home... not every bird has to be a snuggle bug or demand your time, tho he demands time in his own way :)

I have trouble sometimes and its tough to see some birds leave, but I love seeing the pics and hearing the happy every after stories. There have been a few I've been tempted, but I'd never have been the mom to them that they ended up with, having a big blue and gold spoiled brat following mom around doesn't leave much room for a sweet IRN or conure :( Too great a chance of a little one getting hurt. Even today to spend time working with Puff the little tiel, Max has to spend time in his room because when he's out with me, he is like a kid, he goes and plays behind the sofa (his safe play zone), goes to his chair for a snack, climbs up in my lap to see what I'm doing... he literally is much like a dog, so the risk of him climbing up on my lap and grabbing the face of a little one siting on my shoulder is just not something I personally will risk :(

Its a heartbreaker sometimes... its a long running joke with one adopter, Suzanne, that her IRN, Penny still loves me best :) She was by far the toughest foster I had to send on her way.

Anyway, I'm babbling :)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman

You just have to remind yourself that if you bring everyone home that appeals to you, there won't be a spot to help that bird that desparately needs you... like for how long Merlin stayed with me. He never would have gotten adopted out of the shelter with how he behaved there, but here, he was able to relax and tho he is very much a hands off bird, he showed such a tremendous personality, that shelter friends realized what a great addition he was to their home... not every bird has to be a snuggle bug or demand your time, tho he demands time in his own way :)

Well, I know that there are some birds that are not for me, and I have learned how to say "no", but some of them do call my name.
I have trouble sometimes and its tough to see some birds leave, but I love seeing the pics and hearing the happy every after stories. There have been a few I've been tempted, but I'd never have been the mom to them that they ended up with, having a big blue and gold spoiled brat following mom around doesn't leave much room for a sweet IRN or conure :( Too great a chance of a little one getting hurt. Even today to spend time working with Puff the little tiel, Max has to spend time in his room because when he's out with me, he is like a kid, he goes and plays behind the sofa (his safe play zone), goes to his chair for a snack, climbs up in my lap to see what I'm doing... he literally is much like a dog, so the risk of him climbing up on my lap and grabbing the face of a little one siting on my shoulder is just not something I personally will risk :(
I have a too that has to go into his cage if I have another bird out. More for me not getting bit than another bird getting bit. It's only when I'm holding them though. If they are on their cage or on a play top the too doesn't bother them.
Its a heartbreaker sometimes... its a long running joke with one adopter, Suzanne, that her IRN, Penny still loves me best :) She was by far the toughest foster I had to send on her way.

Anyway, I'm babbling :)

Well babble away it is your thread.