• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anybody have scarlet chested keets or bourkes?

BlueCrownRoyal

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
And what is their personality like? I found a woman who handfeeds them, but I want to know a bit more from people with experience on them.

Can anyone sort of give me an overview of them? Maybe something like one of those good, bad and ugly descriptions?

Thanks a ton!
:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe that @Monica has a bourke's parakeet. She is very helpful.

Matt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've heard that bourkes are very easy-going, similar to cockatiels in temperament.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't have a hand fed bourke. Mine was parent raised.

Bourkes and scarlet chesteds are more "aviary" birds than "pet" birds. That's not to say that they can't make great pets, just that they aren't like other birds. They aren't very "cuddly" birds so may not enjoy scritches. Not known for their talking ability, either. Scarlet chesteds tend to be more aggressive than bourkes, but this is normally around breeding season, I think.

I liken bourkes to something between a finch and a cockatiel. Very passive birds, more hiss/growl than bite, but also very flighty. I do not believe that grass keets should be clipped since they don't really move around like other parrots.... they move around more like finches, not using their beaks. Instead of climbing to get to where they want to go, they'll fly.

Personally, I think they are fantastic little birds! Can be great shoulder or finger pets, very quiet and melodious, and I love to hear them fly! (like pigeons, they make 'noises' while flying)

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I have had both Bourkes and Scarlet Chesteds. They are nice easy pet birds, that don't make too much noise. As someone mentioned, they are not cuddly birds that like to be touched or scratched. But if hand-raised, they can become very friendly and bond with you.

My Bourkes call me when I come home and want to come out. They will fly right over to me and sit on my arm or shoulder. And they will stay with me for hours if I let them. But they are pretty calm - don't make much noise - they will be happy to either just sit there or nibble my face. They do not bite. They also like it when I lay on the floor with them - they like walking around on the floor and will stay by me when I am down there with them. But if you want a real interactive "hands-on" type bird like a Conure, that you can pet and hang upside down etc, you may find Bourkes a little boring. They don't like being petted and you will probably scare them if you try. As someone mentioned, Bourkes do not climb easily like other parrots so it is best not to clip their wings, as they are defenseless and can run pretty fast anyway - you need to tame them with gentleness and slow movements - you can't really "force" them to be tame like some other parrots. However, an initial wing-clip when you first get your Bourke may help in taming. Even after they are technically finger tame, however, it can take a little while for them to bond to you (i.e. to "like" you) - so you need to work with them gently every day until you get there. But once tame, they are very nice friendly birds.

Scarlet Chesteds are a little trickier and more wild by nature. They seem to be less domesticated than Bourkes and harder to tame. They seem to have more of a response to "flee" than "freeze", which Bourkes tend to do. I have had 3 of them - all hand-raised - but I'd say only 1 ever became as tame as my Bourkes and even then it took longer. My other 2 became more wild and would not sit on my finger or arm very often, though I could let them fly around my house and they would return to their cages, eventually! And when wing-clipped, they still try to fly and end of crashing a lot, possibly hurting themselves. So if tame pets are what you want, I would recommend Bourkes over Scarlet Chesteds.

Bourkes and Scarlet Chested Parakeets are very compatible and can be kept together, in the same cage, at least when not breeding. They are related but they cannot interbreed. But I would still separate them, into 1 pair per enclosure, if trying to breed either species.

Here are some photos or mine, past and present. This is my Bourke named Twitter. I have had her for 5 years.

She loves to fly around my house and also likes to bathe, when she gets the chance.

This is the only Scarlet Chested I had that ever got really tame. It took a while but eventually we got there. Unfortunately, he died of Pro-ventricular Dilation Disease.

Last edited:

BlueCrownRoyal

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
Thank you Ron. I was just considering a Bourke when I met one and played with one at my bird shop. She was the sweetest bird I've seen in a long time. I do want a conure, but I have decided I would like to settle as an adult before I get one. I still have a few years to go. A Bourke would seem like a good call for me. I know of a breeder who handfeeds them, however, I would like to hear experience from an owner. I don't clip wings, so I figure it would have a good chance to fly. Know, one important question, are they fearful? I heard several times that these 'keets get hand shy after some time.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I would say Bourkes are not "fearful" birds, generally. Once they know you, they know you. Mine live in a house with dogs and TVs and do not seem especially bothered by anything. And they stay tame - they don't grow less tame or aggressive if you can't play with them for a week or two. Personally, I think Bourkes are less likely to become untame than Budgies, for example, which may often get more wild when you either ignore them or get a second budgie.

BTW, here is a great blog about Splendid (Scarlet Chested) and Bourke Parakeets:
The Splendid Bourke Bird Blog

More shots of my Bourke, Twitter:

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I have had both Bourkes and Scarlet Chesteds. They are nice easy pet birds, that don't make too much noise. As someone mentioned, they are not cuddly birds that like to be touched or scratched. But if hand-raised, they can become very friendly and bond with you.

My Bourkes call me when I come home and want to come out. They will fly right over to me and sit on my arm or shoulder. And they will stay with me for hours if I let them. But they are pretty calm - don't make much noise - they will be happy to either just sit there or nibble my face. They do not bite. They also like it when I lay on the floor with them - they like walking around on the floor and will stay by me when I am down there with them. But if you want a real interactive "hands-on" type bird like a Conure, that you can pet and hang upside down etc, you may find Bourkes a little boring. They don't like being petted and you will probably scare them if you try. As someone mentioned, Bourkes do not climb easily like other parrots so it is best not to clip their wings, as they are defenseless and can run pretty fast anyway - you need to tame them with gentleness and slow movements - you can't really "force" them to be tame like some other parrots. However, an initial wing-clip when you first get your Bourke may help in taming. Even after they are technically finger tame, however, it can take a little while for them to bond to you (i.e. to "like" you) - so you need to work with them gently every day until you get there. But once tame, they are very nice friendly birds.

Scarlet Chesteds are a little trickier and more wild by nature. They seem to be less domesticated than Bourkes and harder to tame. They seem to have more of a response to "flee" than "freeze", which Bourkes tend to do. I have had 3 of them - all hand-raised - but I'd say only 1 ever became as tame as my Bourkes and even then it took longer. My other 2 became more wild and would not sit on my finger or arm very often, though I could let them fly around my house and they would return to their cages, eventually! And when wing-clipped, they still try to fly and end of crashing a lot, possibly hurting themselves. So if tame pets are what you want, I would recommend Bourkes over Scarlet Chesteds.

Bourkes and Scarlet Chested Parakeets are very compatible and can be kept together, in the same cage, at least when not breeding. They are related but they cannot interbreed. But I would still separate them, into 1 pair per enclosure, if trying to breed either species.

Here are some photos or mine, past and present. This is my Bourke named Twitter. I have had her for 5 years.

She loves to fly around my house and also likes to bathe, when she gets the chance.

This is the only Scarlet Chested I had that ever got really tame. It took a while but eventually we got there. Unfortunately, he died of Pro-ventricular Dilation Disease.
Stunning birds!

Ronnnie

Moving in
I didn't want to make a whole new thread just asking one questing, but hopefully someone will read this and hopefully knows the answer. :) I have found some normal scarlets to buy, but they are only 4 months old, they were supposedly handraised. The thing is the breeder doesn't know the sex, is it possible to tell the sex at that age?

Wellington

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlie
There can be minor differences at that age but DNA is the most reliable until the males molt and get red chests.

Chihuahua

@Twitter09 I love the pic where she is on the TV and the woman is looking up... looks like she's looking at your bird. Great timing LOL

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have 3 scarlets very scsred I have only had them for a month I don't know what the former owner did I have never seen birds so terrified in all my life I'm hoping in time I can gain their trust

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Bourkes are very pretty birds -- I watched some in my local bird store for a while. They didn't seem as active as a budgie.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No, they are not as active as budgies, but I still find them to be charming little birds! :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
One of the things you'll need to do is clean the bottom of their cage every day. Grass Parrots all like to run around on the ground a lot as their name would suggest...and when I mean run, they run. Unlike most parrots, they're not loud or particularly destructive and pretty inoffensive. Just be aware that like all parrots they can live quite a long life. Monica's Bourke must be nearly 20 years old.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Monica's Bourke must be nearly 20 years old.
My bourke was estimated to be 18-20 years old. Unfortunately, I had to put her down earlier this year due to head trauma. :( Whether or not she could have recovered from it was out of the question... she had just been through so much and I couldn't bear to see her suffer any longer. Sadly, even my a-vet agreed.

I had heard of one that, estimated age was at 23 years old in 2013. Not sure if he's still alive or not.

New Quaker is breaking me. :/ | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Technologically impaired Bourke by DannielleRogers on DeviantArt