• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Just found the strangest feather and I'm worried

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
So I just came home from a very short night away and immediately let the birds out. About a minute or two into their flight rounds, Jay found this feather on the floor. We've examined their wings and it looks like it's from Arya. He's acting normally (a little agitated we were gone so long but otherwise normal) and he's not bleeding at all. Thorin doesn't seem to be missing any feathers, but he also is not bleeding and is acting normally. The feather is still kind of damp! Help?!

Attachments

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I would just determine exactly where it came from by spreading the wing and then just keep an eye on it seeing the rest of the shaft did not come out. If things don't look right then I would go to the vet but not until there was an actual problem.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Do a careful investigation to find out which one of them that loose that feather. And then supervise that bird for the next 24 H.
And no bleeding and the bird are eating and acting normal their is no need to see the vet.

clicketty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashlyn
I'm not a feather expert but it really looks as if the shaft completely snapped and left the rest of it either in Arya's wing or hopefully on the ground somewhere. My question is how could it have snapped like that unless it was unhealthy?
I'll second what Macaw Lover and Eloy said, spread the wing and check. If your bird goes out to fly or stretch their wing again, try to see if there is any visible signs of discomfort.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Are all their wing feathers grown out? I have seen this before when Bebe's feathers were growing out. He didn't have enough support for the newest feathers and would chew them. But yes, just see if you can determine who it is. Keep an eye out for swelling in the area...checks weights to make sure no infection happens.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
Are all their wing feathers grown out? I have seen this before when Bebe's feathers were growing out. He didn't have enough support for the newest feathers and would chew them. But yes, just see if you can determine who it is. Keep an eye out for swelling in the area...checks weights to make sure no infection happens.
If it's Thorin, he is just growing back his wing feathers and I watched him lose another clipped feather yesterday as he flew around. They both seem to be acting normal, no lethargy. But I'll keep an eye on them.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
He may have just broken it flapping around? Conures like to be squirrelly sometimes and Zorro's knocked out one or two before while fleeing from the vet in his carrier. Make sure there's no bleeding, but when it happened to Zorro, the vet left it in.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
So... I think it was Arya and that Thorin may have plucked the remaining shaft? Is that a possibility? Jay looked over both of their wings and the two of them look perfect. However, Thorin is a very attentive preener of both himself and Arya, whom is his mate.

Amisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amisha Steinbeck
That sounds sweet