• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How common is it for parrots to get sick from peanuts' aspergillus?

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
After picking up my parrots from a boarding place due to our vacation, I noticed that they had fed my birds peanuts (shells and nuts in their toy boxes). How concerned should I be?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It isn't what one would term common, but it can happen. Keep a close eye one your birds and take them to the vet immediately if they show any signs of being sick. The classic symptoms are a change in voice, general depression and labored breathing, but Aspergillosis can present in so many ways that you can't depend on those specific symptoms.

Just watch them close for a week or so.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
you should call the facility and explain the dangers ... how irresponsible of them to give your bird treats that were not provided by you without asking! imagine if he had a dietary restriction or something.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
And there are different forms of it from what I understand, not all Aspergillosis is caused by food ingestion.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
In the U.S. at least Aspergillus contamination is relatively rare. The USDA and FDA monitor all cereals, grains, nuts, legumes, etc. that could potentially become contaminated with the fungus and these products aren't supposed to be processed or sold unless they are below the specified limit of contamination. It's also good to note that MANY different foods can harbor the fungus, and the reason why it surfaces is because of improper storage which encourages the fungi's growth. Peanuts aren't the only foods that you should be careful with, and they also probably shouldn't necessarily be vilified quite as much as they are.

This is a good article I found a while back, with info and advice from my avian vet and exotic avian husbandry professor at Cornell.

Overall I'd say definitely watch your birds, but you really don't have too much to worry about.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
In the U.S. at least Aspergillus contamination is relatively rare. The USDA and FDA monitor all cereals, grains, nuts, legumes, etc. that could potentially become contaminated with the fungus and these products aren't supposed to be processed or sold unless they are below the specified limit of contamination. It's also good to note that MANY different foods can harbor the fungus, and the reason why it surfaces is because of improper storage which encourages the fungi's growth. Peanuts aren't the only foods that you should be careful with, and they also probably shouldn't necessarily be vilified quite as much as they are.

This is a good article I found a while back, with info and advice from my avian vet and exotic avian husbandry professor at Cornell.

Overall I'd say definitely watch your birds, but you really don't have too much to worry about.

IT'S BUDGIEFACEDKILLER. :excited1:

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Not gonna lie.... I found you a little while back and didn't say anything because I felt like a stalker lol. But there it is, we meet again! :D

P.S. I'm super jealous of your adorable signature. Who did it and can I get one?!?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will add that although human-grade peanuts are carefully monitored by the USDA and FDA, the peanuts found in bird-mixes will not be so.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Used to feed Nerd peanuts as treats in shell his whole life every day. I had no idea they were bad but we always bought clean looking ones in the health food section.
He was skinny his whole 31 years but that never showed up any of the times we took him in. Figured by the time I knew they were bad he was getting old anyways and peanuts were one of his favorite treats so wasn't going to stop and make him depressed.
I don't give them much to Lurch, plus he isn't crazy for them like Nerd was.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Please remember that asper is everywhere, including in the air and in grains and other nuts. Peanuts get a bad wrap and as others have said, human grade peanuts are monitored by the USDA. Peanuts that are not human grade, as those in bird foods, totally different story!:) Also, if you're going to feed peanuts, I would ditch the shell. The shell is going to be worse than the nut itself. Remember that humans don't tend to put the shell in their mouth the way parrots do and that's where a lot more of the toxins are going to be found. Honestly though, as far as asper and aflotoxins are concerned with peanuts, if you're feeding human grade, I'd be way more worried about the fat content than anything else.